Softube Model 80 Five Voice Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lbdunequest wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:40 pm Please no, we have Roland Jupiter 8, the real deal from Roland themself.
It's good sounding, but has a poor interface (although better now it's been polished up in the recent update), it's expensive to buy outright, the engine is very poor/inefficient on Apple silicon, and it doesn't support two layer modes (and therefore misses quite a bit of the magic of the original).

A Softube version of the JP8 that supported dual mode, had a *proper amount* of polyphony (ie, at least 8 voices *per layer*, not dropping down to four in dual mode) - would be an instabuy-or-maybe-wait-for-a-sale-and-buy-then for me.

Tal's is more or less the only JP8 that supports dual mode so far. There's room for another good, authentic JP8 emulation, imo, and would be a good fit for Softube given the Rolands they've done so far, especially as they look like they really want to add the big classic vintage synths, rather than avoid what's been done before.

Lbdunequest wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:40 pm
SebAV wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:14 pm I wonder if the choice of the Prophet is the result of their survey. It was at the beginning of the year so certainly not.
Anyway next model should be Jupiter 8 then.
Please no, we have Roland Jupiter 8, the real deal from Roland themself.

Alesis Andromeda A6 all the way
I´ll take both from Softube, but I´d favor Model 2000, ie the A6!

BTW, take a listen to Nicholas Semrad´s preset library for Model 1980, some nice sounds there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmrvkPe24Ws

They're not similar to me at all.
First impression, I think the oscillators and envelopes sound better on the M80 and the filter (especially w high resonance) better on Repro.

Overall, when playing and turning knobs, Repro has the musical vintage analog vibe and the M80 sounds kind of bland and generic.
As much as I LOVE Softube , I don't think they did a great job here other than making it available for Modular.

christian f. wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:31 pm They're not similar to me at all.
First impression, I think the oscillators and envelopes sound better on the M80 and the filter (especially w high resonance) better on Repro.

Overall, when playing and turning knobs, Repro has the musical vintage analog vibe and the M80 sounds kind of bland and generic.
As much as I LOVE Softube , I don't think they did a great job here other than making it available for Modular.
I feel the same about their MiniMoog - the UA one and the Moog one are way livelier and much more fun to play

One thing that I think Repro does marginally better compared to Model 80 is the filter fm, which sounds more musical. Model 80's filter FM at full modulation sounds a bit uglier or dissonant to me. However, Model 80 has a slightly louder noise generator.

If they are going to clone something by roland again it must be the system 100, or other modular ones.
dedication to flying

Vortifex wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:24 pmWhen I'm browsing presets I don't want to do any tweaking until I land on one that has promise.
Neither do I but, by the same token, I don't want to have to close the browser to be able to tweak. It's nice to be able to go from one window to the other without closing and opening things. That said, the browser window gets covered by Studio One so I have to do a quick ALT+Tab to recover it, which does take the shine off a little. But I'm sure it never used to be like that.
Clicking the plugin interface causes the browser window to minimise anyway, so even if I wanted to tweak and browse at the same time I couldn't because I have to click the browser window again, no different to clicking a browser button on the interface. I much prefer the way u-he and GForce do it.
I don't. For a start, your browser is restricted to the size of the GUI, Softube's can be full screen if you want it to be. Put it on your second monitor and it never gets covered up.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:51 pm
Vortifex wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:24 pmWhen I'm browsing presets I don't want to do any tweaking until I land on one that has promise.
Neither do I but, by the same token, I don't want to have to close the browser to be able to tweak. It's nice to be able to go from one window to the other without closing and opening things. That said, the browser window gets covered by Studio One so I have to do a quick ALT+Tab to recover it, which does take the shine off a little. But I'm sure it never used to be like that.
Clicking the plugin interface causes the browser window to minimise anyway, so even if I wanted to tweak and browse at the same time I couldn't because I have to click the browser window again, no different to clicking a browser button on the interface. I much prefer the way u-he and GForce do it.
I don't. For a start, your browser is restricted to the size of the GUI, Softube's can be full screen if you want it to be. Put it on your second monitor and it never gets covered up.
I agree the idea of a browser in a second window is nice, but the implementation is kind of clunky. I am with you that going back and forth between main windows and browser sucks.
dedication to flying

I'm not seeing how it's clunky at all. I like the way it works and I like the functionality it offers. Who else lets you put avatars into your patches?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Does it not have an init patch?

j wazza wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:20 am Does it not have an init patch?
There’s an init button.

cyberheater wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:24 am
j wazza wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:20 am Does it not have an init patch?
There’s an init button.
Thanks! I was looking on the softube preset browser where there is no init but there is also a preset browser/bank selector modelled on the hardware with an init button there.

I find it a bit confusing to have 2 preset browsers, and generally think modern UI's on computers are better for browsing presets than those old bank selectors from hardware

beely wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:51 pm Tal's is more or less the only JP8 that supports dual mode so far. There's room for another good, authentic JP8 emulation, imo, and would be a good fit for Softube given the Rolands they've done so far, especially as they look like they really want to add the big classic vintage synths, rather than avoid what's been done before.
Since TAL is spot on, there's no room for another J8 emulation. Softube had a good reason to rehash Minimoog because of the way Softube modular can become a Moog Modular, very smart. There is no good reason to rehash the Jupiters.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

j wazza wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:29 amI was looking on the softube preset browser where there is no init...
Yes, there is. It's under "I" for "INIT". As I said, it was the first decent sounding preset I found in the factory sounds.

Return to “Instruments”