Softube Model 80 Five Voice Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don’t recall Prophet 5 having an iLok…
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

I don't really get what people have against iLok. It's one of the least cumbersome copy protections out there. I don't even think about it at any time. just unlock a plugin on your machine and it works.
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:28 pm
It seems that all voices are processed even when not played , so the only way to lower the cpu is to reduce the(global) voice count .
That ends up being a showstopper for me. The Madrona Labs synths are like that. I think they sound fantastic, but over time I stopped using them cause they eat too much CPU when doing nothing and that messes too much with my workflow.

pdxindy wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:54 pm
It seems that all voices are processed even when not played , so the only way to lower the cpu is to reduce the(global) voice count .
That ends up being a showstopper for me. The Madrona Labs synths are like that. I think they sound fantastic, but over time I stopped using them cause they eat too much CPU when doing nothing and that messes too much with my workflow.
But when they run, they would use up the CPU the same way. Are you running something else in-between?
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

chk071 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:49 am The synth sounds very nice, but, the CPU usage is crazy. More than double what Model 72 and Model 84 are using. I just sent Softube a support mail that I hope that they'll do further optimizations. Hope others do too. With that kind of CPU usage, most people won't be able to use more than 5 or 6 instances in a project.
I found the initial instance to be super high on CPU load (30%) but subsequent instances only added a bit more. I was able to add 16 instances with my old i7 PC before it maxed out and made everything unplayable.

sQeetz wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:56 pm
But when they run, they would use up the CPU the same way. Are you running something else in-between?
I commonly have tracks in my project that play notes in some sections and not in others. With most plugins, they only consume CPU when they are playing notes.

pdxindy wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:09 pm
sQeetz wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:56 pm
I commonly have tracks in my project that play notes in some sections and not in others. With most plugins, they only consume CPU when they are playing notes.
I know it's inconvenient, but you can automate the ON/OFF switch of a plugin in Live

sQeetz wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:11 pm
pdxindy wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:09 pm
I know it's inconvenient, but you can automate the ON/OFF switch of a plugin in Live
Yes... too much work for me. I can afford to be picky when I have lots of great plugins where that is not necessary.

pdxindy wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:18 pm
Yes... too much work for me. I can afford to be picky when I have lots of great plugins where that is not necessary.
Fair enough... I don't mind to do it when the CPU spikes... but to be honest I didn't need to for a long while

The downside to the "uses all voices/runs CPU even when doing nothing" approach is that you may have different instruments playing at different parts of the song. So synth instance 1 may play only on the versus, and synth instance 2 may only play for 8 bars on the choruses, and instance 3 just during the middle 8. At no point in that kind of arrangement do you have more than one instance playing at a time, but your project would use the CPU of 3 instances at all times. No bueno.

Yeah, you could automate the on/off, or render to audio, but that can be a hassle versus a company just having done it right the first time.

#TeamRepro :)

It's useful to have a machine that can handle all of that crap.... I do so I don't really mind...
Optimization would be optimal, of course.... but I don't mind
Last edited by sQeetz on Wed May 03, 2023 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isn't this one of features if vst3 properly done, suppose to take care of?

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:41 pm Isn't this one of features if vst3 properly done, suppose to take care of?
yes

liquidsound wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:40 pm I don’t recall Prophet 5 having an iLok…
That's why the uhe repro is the better choice here. It's more like the original in that regard.

susquash wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:54 pm
liquidsound wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:40 pm I don’t recall Prophet 5 having an iLok…
That's why the uhe repro is the better choice here. It's more like the original in that regard.
And that’s why if u-he goes iLok I will end my music journey :D :phones:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Return to “Instruments”