New to free plugins - seeking recommendations and experiences with plugins from bedroomproducersblog.com

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone! I was chatting with a KVR user who recommended I check out this link for free plugins: https://bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/.
I'm always looking for new tools to help me improve my mixes, so I'm excited to explore some of these options.

Have any of you tried any of the plugins listed on this page? Are there any that you would specifically recommend? I'd love to hear about your experiences and get some guidance as I dive into this new territory.

Thanks in advance for your help and recommendations!

Adarodz

I use Surge XT, a hybrid synthesizer, with the LinnStrument at the moment. I mainly use both the factory and community-contributed MPE patches.

I’ve tried pretty much all of them, I’ll give you my favourite list

Instruments

Synths
Vital - Must have, really powerful, easy to learn and a lot of community presets online, it’s also a great Serum alternative
Surge - Another must have, workhorse synth with a huge factory library plus very deep if you dig into the rabbit hole
Synth1 - Bread and butter VA synth that sounds good, there are about 16K community presets so you can use it just as a preset player but its also easy to learn and sounds good
Dexed - This should cover all your 80s FM synth needs, it can load sysex files made for original DX7 so you have a ton of presets, the synth itself is pretty hard to learn
Get all Uhe and TAL stuff, they are top notch

With respect to Samplers and Romplers

Decent Sampler - A great and simple alternative to kontakt, a lot of free libraries can be downloaded inside the plugin or from pianobook. You can also make your own instruments with little bit of scripting knowledge

Kontakt Player - Get the entire Komplete Start, you’ll get a ton of useful instruments and sounds

Spitfire Labs - Great sample based instruments

Tx16wx - A great workhorse sampler

Grace - If you want something simpler

With respect to effects

Get the Melda Production Free effects bundle and Kilohearts essentials bundle. These should cover like 90% of your effects needs. Other effects i use are RoughRider3, Limiter6, TDR plugins (amazing stuff btw).

With respect to creative effects, Check out AudioModern and Glitchmachines freebies, AudioDamage Legacy plugins (no longer supported, should not be a problem if you are on windows), Deelay, ChowDSP stuff, Valhalla freebies is a must have, TAL freebies are amazing.

Tbh Almost all bedroom producers blog lists are carefully curated and you can’t go wrong with them (only thing i know is that obxd has become a payware since they published it and it hasn’t been updated).

Also if you are looking for free daws just get either Waveform Free or Cakewalk, almost all others have some major limitations.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmlgT ... subscriber

Advocator of free and open source software.

Thanks for your recommendation for Surge XT, I must admit that I am not as interested in soft synths at the moment. However, I am very interested in effects that can help improve my mixing and mastering skills such as compressors, EQs, delays, reverbs, limiters, etc.
If you have any experience with any free plugins in these categories, I would love to hear your recommendations. Thank you again!
FranklyFlawless wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:01 pm I use Surge XT, a hybrid synthesizer, with the LinnStrument at the moment. I mainly use both the factory and community-contributed MPE patches.

I'll definitely check out AudioModern, Glitchmachines, AudioDamage Legacy, Deelay, ChowDSP, Valhalla, and TAL freebies. I appreciate your advice on the Bedroom Producers Blog list and the free DAW options as well. It's great to have a starting point for exploring new plugins and DAWs. Thanks again!
Paree wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:05 pm I’ve tried pretty much all of them, I’ll give you my favourite list

Instruments

Synths
Vital - Must have, really powerful, easy to learn and a lot of community presets online, it’s also a great Serum alternative
Surge - Another must have, workhorse synth with a huge factory library plus very deep if you dig into the rabbit hole
Synth1 - Bread and butter VA synth that sounds good, there are about 16K community presets so you can use it just as a preset player but its also easy to learn and sounds good
Dexed - This should cover all your 80s FM synth needs, it can load sysex files made for original DX7 so you have a ton of presets, the synth itself is pretty hard to learn
Get all Uhe and TAL stuff, they are top notch

With respect to Samplers and Romplers

Decent Sampler - A great and simple alternative to kontakt, a lot of free libraries can be downloaded inside the plugin or from pianobook. You can also make your own instruments with little bit of scripting knowledge

Kontakt Player - Get the entire Komplete Start, you’ll get a ton of useful instruments and sounds

Spitfire Labs - Great sample based instruments

Tx16wx - A great workhorse sampler

Grace - If you want something simpler

With respect to effects

Get the Melda Production Free effects bundle and Kilohearts essentials bundle. These should cover like 90% of your effects needs. Other effects i use are RoughRider3, Limiter6, TDR plugins (amazing stuff btw).

With respect to creative effects, Check out AudioModern and Glitchmachines freebies, AudioDamage Legacy plugins (no longer supported, should not be a problem if you are on windows), Deelay, ChowDSP stuff, Valhalla freebies is a must have, TAL freebies are amazing.

Tbh Almost all bedroom producers blog lists are carefully curated and you can’t go wrong with them (only thing i know is that obxd has become a payware since they published it and it hasn’t been updated).

Also if you are looking for free daws just get either Waveform Free or Cakewalk, almost all others have some major limitations.

Most of my focus with music production has been on Linux, and primarily on MPE. Unfortunately Dexed only has partial MPE implementation, so I stopped using it. The DAW I use for MPE is Ardour, but other LinnStrumentalists typically use Bitwig since a free license is provided from Roger Linn during purchase.

I’m actually starting to think we have exhausted new topics to discuss 🤷‍♂️
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:45 pm I’m actually starting to think we have exhausted new topics to discuss 🤷‍♂️
Words can only carry expression so far. Make some music.

Adarodz wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:21 pm I am very interested in effects that can help improve my mixing and mastering skills such as compressors, EQs, delays, reverbs, limiters, etc.
If you have any experience with any free plugins in these categories, I would love to hear your recommendations. Thank you again!
Check out Bootsy's free plugins. Good mixing tools.
https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/

BPB is a great resource. He comes up with the odd gem too. :)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”