Groovebox-type VST/DAW for longer samples

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like making music out of longer clips (not just drum hits) from various sources. To sound good, sometimes they need to be adjusted so their pitch and tempo are consistent, but I haven't found a sampler VST/DAW that makes it easy to do that across multiple tracks. Ideally, I want one knob that says "pitch" and another that says "tempo" and they can either work together to get those vinyl slowed-down effects or completely independently to match things up.

I want to be able to get a sample to where I like the pitch and tempo, and have the DAW know what tempo and pitch they are, and help me get the other samples in my project matched to it. So far, all I can do in Logic is import a sample and try to match it up with the metronome until it almost works, and then call that my project tempo, then use time stretching to manually make the samples I work with fit to the bar length, and then adjust the pitch manually by semitones until things sound right together. When I was using hardware, I was using the Elektron Octatrack, and it was so simple to make that happen. Is there any software that is purpose-made for that kind of workflow?

Ableton Live
Techno and other adjacent genres
Horse On The Third Floor : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyL394 ... n4RdaCYHjA

MuLab.
Check out its audio sequencer. When you edit a sample it is available in all devices. Very cool
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I have used Maschine for this kind of work flow for about three years.

As proficient as I’ve got with it doing any kind of nuanced arranging of a whole song is basically out of the question.

I’ve performed live with longer clips in maschine many times but only one song at a time. I use the JAM :) it does not have the capacity that ableton has to flow into multiple track and tempos.

All of that said I love it for what it is. Limited n some very frustrating way some times? ohhhh yeah. But its ease of use and workflow really sparks my creativity.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”