Re: Configure Y-axis Range?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oops-- I accidentally deleted the original post in this thread. Fortunately I had copied it before I deleted it, though I didn't copy who posted it. Here is his original post, with my answers embedded below in blue italics:

Is there anyway to configure the range of values that are sent by the y-axis?

I am probably not explaining this clearly, but for example: say I wanted to cap the vibrato in SWAM to only play vibrato between 10-50% using the y-axis as anything above or below would be jarring in this piece, is that possible?

Yes. See the Panel Settings page, Per-Split Settings tab, Timbre/Y section, "1) On" subsection:

Hidden setting: Timbre/Y High/Low Limits
Normally the value sent for Timbre/Y has a range of 0 to 127. However, you can change the low and high limits so that the sent values will be scaled between these limits. To change these range limits, hold the On pad and the screen will display large characters. Swipe up or down to switch between the following two settings, and left or right to edit each setting’s value:

"L 0": the Low Timbre/Y limit, from 0 to 127.
"H127": the High Timbre/Y limit, from 0 to 127.

If these settings are changed from their default values of L 0 and H127, the On pad in the Per-Split Settings screen will be lit in the accent color. Note that if the high limit is lower than the low limit, the output range will be inverted.

Or for example, on a hardware synth I have, the y-axis by default is set to control the filter but on certain patches, having the filter below say 50% is totally unnecessary and would be jarring when played, could I set the LinnStrument y-axis to control the filter from 50-100%?

Another y-axis question: (probably not possible) but on a fast piece of music, it's hard to always hit each pad in the same area on the y axis, and the effect can be quite jarring when done incorrectly. Are there any functions, kind of the same idea as the quantize options for pitch bend, where each initial press is locked to a certain value (or maybe a prior value), but then can be manipulated from there when held after the initial press?

Yes. See the Panel Settings page, Per-Split Settings tab, Timbre/Y section, "4) Relative" subsection:

If off, CC messages reflect absolute finger position within note cell.
If on, a CC value of 64 is sent at first regardless of the position of touch, and subsequent Y-axis movements increase or decrease that value.

Hidden setting: Y-axis Relative Initial value
Hold to set the starting relative value from its default of 64 to any value from 0 to 127. For example, if using Y-axis to add a modulation amount, the Y-axis value at first touch will be zero, then moving your finger forward will increase the value.

There's a good chance I have zero idea on what's happening on the backend here, so if people even just have playing tips for a smoother performance, feel free to share those as an alternative haha!

That was me.

Thanks so much for the response Roger!

drake-n wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:42 pm There's a good chance I have zero idea on what's happening on the backend here, so if people even just have playing tips for a smoother performance, feel free to share those as an alternative haha!
Practice. Max has a YouTube video that breaks down each expression axis. From 2:07 to 5:36, it focus on the Y-axis.

Hi drake-n,

I think it's fair to say that the limited physical Y-axis range of LinnStrument makes it more useful for changing position after striking the pad than striking a specific Y-axis position.

Continuum and Seaboard have the advantage of a longer Y-axis range because of their arrangement of all pitches in a single line. I think it's a tradeoff; LinnStrument gives you overlapping rows, higher note density and multiple instances of each pitch, but at the expense of physical Y-axis range. Each interface has its pros and cons.

Interestingly, Madrona Labs' SoundPlane is an interest hybrid. It's a grid in which each pitch region is a rectangle that is twice as tall as its width, providing a grid arrangement with longer Y-axis physical range but half the note density of LinnStrument:

https://madronalabs.com/soundplane

The shape of the human hand naturally places the fingertips in 'arcs', so, this is perhaps more problematical on the smaller pads when playing along a single 'line' of pads. I'd often thought a two-sided controller built in an 'arc' shape would be more 'hand-friendly' played a bit like a harp. That said, hands vary so much I suspect this would not be a 'one size fits all' solution.

Interestingly I've been playing the Linnstrument more like a viol/'cello these days, rather than 'flat' on a table top.

The soundplane is interesting for its solution, but its range is limited.

Who knows what the future will bring (Linnstrument II?) ...

Equiton wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:28 pm I'd often thought a two-sided controller built in an 'arc' shape would be more 'hand-friendly' played a bit like a harp.
Have you come across the 'Dualo'? https://dualo.com/en/dualo/

I have no experience of it, but in a way it's responsible for me having a Linnstrument!

A dualo owner wrote about their instrument on a Forum & that got me thinking about alternative keyboards & in due course that led me to discovering and then buying a Linnstrument. :)

DavidWS wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:17 pm
Equiton wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:28 pm I'd often thought a two-sided controller built in an 'arc' shape would be more 'hand-friendly' played a bit like a harp.

I have no experience of it, but in a way it's responsible for me having a Linnstrument!

A dualo owner wrote about their instrument on a Forum & that got me thinking about alternative keyboards & in due course that led me to discovering and then buying a Linnstrument. :)
I met someone that kept it on a wall. They never used it.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:42 pm I met someone that kept it on a wall. They never used it.
I don't think it would suit me either, which is how I came to settle on Linnstrument, but the person who described it to me is a great enthusiast (whilst acknowledging things she'd like to see changed or improved). She has 3, an 'original' and two of the more recent model. She has one of the instruments with her most of the time (having a built in engine they can be used 'standalone').

'Horses for courses'. 'Each to their own'. YMMV :)

Other than the Dualo, there is the Striso Box, but unfortunately this configuration does not seem to be a commercial product.

The person I referred to about the Dualo on the wall ended up using two AXiS 49s with the Wicki-Hayden layout. The placement of them is a lot like ergonomic keyboards, slightly bent and spaced apart.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:42 pm
DavidWS wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:17 pm

I met someone that kept it on a wall. They never used it.
I'd not seen the Dualo before, but it's nothing like what I was thinking of, and after looking at a couple of videos, not something that I would be interested in.

I'm glad I got the Linnstrument, and given the flexibility it has, it's my go-to instrument for 'improvising' and microtonal scale exploration.

Late follow up question haha! Is it possible when changing notes to have the y-axis use the last value of the last note played? So say if you open up the filter of a synth using the y-axis, when you change notes, the filter would stay in the same position on the new note (until you again move up or down on the y-axis).

Sorry, no. But you use the Low Row or one of the CC Faders to control your synth’s filter frequency.

Hey Roger, no problem! I'll do that. I forgot that you could change what CC value was sent on the low row. Thanks!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”