Horizontal Split Possible?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it possible to create splits (or the equivalent) along row boundaries instead of columns?
In Logic I think I can pull it off by using Channel per Row and midi filtering notes based on channel and pitch but I haven't tried this yet in practice.
The reason: I play the LNS vertically, kind of like a Chapman stick, and want to trigger different synths for my left vs right hand (e.g. bass, melody).
My future dream is to be able to define multiple "grid boxes" of pads that could trigger different synths but I'd be happy with a simple split for the time being. Thx!

Sorry, splits are only possible side-by-side when played in the normal horizontal orientation. The workaround is the one you mentioned, using Channel Per Row.

Thanks Roger, that's what I suspected.
I got my "block splitter" working in Logic with Scripter yesterday. I'm pretty happy with it except now I'm very much missing the Channel per Note behavior I've gotten used to.
Follow up question: Would it be feasible to send column and row values within the midi stream when notes are pressed? I understand that this would require a firmware mod which I believe I could pull off myself, but I'm not well-versed in midi and its inherent limitations. Since each note would be on its own channel, it seems this should, in theory, be possible?
Thanks again.

Hi vorp,

The beauty of open source is that anything is feasible.

You may also find that many of the Channel Per Note behaviors that you value can be achieved already in Channel Per Row mode:

1) By sending pressure as "Poly Pressure" messages, you get independent and simultaneous per-touch pressure response on a single row.

2) Given that Channel Per Row mode sends each row's touches over a single MIDI channel, it uses the same "Smart MIDI" processing as in One Channel mode, as explained on the "Smart MIDI" page:

https://www.rogerlinndesign.com/support ... smart-midi

Specifically, while pressing 2+ touches:

a) If you perform a pitch slide on one touch, the slide is automatically quantized to semitones so that the other held touch(es) won't change pitch.

b) Y-axis data is sent only from the most recent touch.

Huzzah for open source! Last night I tried modding, building and installing a small tweak to the firmware and now I can see the row and column for every pad touch in Logic! Two line addition is all it took. Everything else is done in Logic's Midi Fx Scripter. Now I have full channel per note and can filter any instrument to any arbitrary x/y block of cells.
It feels like I have cool new powers at my command since I can do entirely different things with different blocks of pads across the surface.
If anyone else is interested in this I'm happy to post more details; just lemme know this is of interest.

vorp40 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:34 pm If anyone else is interested in this I'm happy to post more details; just lemme know this is of interest.
Yes, a fork of the firmware repository on GitHub with the included two new lines of code would be appreciated.

Thanks for your interest Mr. Flawless!
First time I've forked code on Github so apologies if this is somehow broken or mis-configured but "looks" ok:
https://github.com/vorptronica/linnstru ... rmware.git
Overview:
- Sending row in Control Change (CC) 14 and column in CC 15 just before sending NoteOn.
- These go over the same channel as the note so they can be re-associated inside Logic Scripter.

vorp40 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:03 am Thanks for your interest Mr. Flawless!
First time I've forked code on Github so apologies if this is somehow broken or mis-configured but "looks" ok:
https://github.com/vorptronica/linnstru ... rmware.git
Overview:
- Sending row in Control Change (CC) 14 and column in CC 15 just before sending NoteOn.
- These go over the same channel as the note so they can be re-associated inside Logic Scripter.
Perfect, that is exactly how it is done. Thank you for your generous contribution to the community/commons.

vorp40 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:34 pm Huzzah for open source! Last night I tried modding, building and installing a small tweak to the firmware and now I can see the row and column for every pad touch in Logic! Two line addition is all it took. Everything else is done in Logic's Midi Fx Scripter. Now I have full channel per note and can filter any instrument to any arbitrary x/y block of cells.
It feels like I have cool new powers at my command since I can do entirely different things with different blocks of pads across the surface.
If anyone else is interested in this I'm happy to post more details; just lemme know this is of interest.
Nice one.

One little thing though, maybe it is better to send the NoteOn before the ControlChanges?

Sending the ControlChanges first will increase the latency of the NoteOn.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

BobDog, I figured I had to send the row/column first, as inside Scripter I'm checking the row and column against allowable ones, then allowing the NoteOn event (in the same channel) to proceed or not based on the results. If NoteOn comes in _after_ then it wouldn't work, right? At least that's my current thinking. Maybe for other uses sending the row & column after NoteOn would make more sense.

Ah got you, makes sense. I wasn't thinking of that case just in general.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”