What else do you/did you play?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I used to play bass for the money (there's always a gig for an able and willing bass player)

I'm a fair keyboard player and actually have survived playing paying gigs but I don't love it.

I learned tabla and drum notation on various 80's/90's drum machines

Used to play the harmonica and uke.

Everyday is a linnstrument day. I study from piano lessons and try to transpose for the linnstrument.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Everything brass, but that was lifetimes ago. Now, keys and bass.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Like most guitarists, bass of course. Also some keys. But both of those just in the studio.
Live just vocals & guitar.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

I'm not great at anything, but I can quickly pick up just about any instrument and compose something within a few hours. Easy to pick up things, but no motivation to get really good. Mostly guitar, but also bass, some keys, I have a water phone and a Theremin, mandolin, bouzouki, lap steel, various Jews Harps. I dabble with those now and again. I was a decent flutist in high school... I should have kept that up, since I could read music for it, but alas.

Bass (in the Lemmy/Peter Hook stylee, though I have my, errr, 'funkier' moments.. :scared: )

Drums, although this is debatable now since I haven't sat behind a kit for over 10 years. I imagine I would now be a) crap, and b) quite knackered, if I played. :hihi:

The crooning.

My first instrument was my father's accordion. It was bigger than I was. He taught me basic theory when I was around 6, and could play a couple of marches and xmas carols.
Then, when I was 9, and my parents felt guilty for the ongoing destruction of our family, I received an Orcana double register reed organ with chord buttons to the left. It was a great xmas present for a 9 year old!
Within a year I was playing Beatles from an ez piano book, as well as other pop tunes like Both Sides Now, Raindrops Keep Fallin' on my Head, etc, from another contemporary 'hits' book. My best friend was learning piano at 8-9, as well, and I'd bang away on his piano.
I had a guitar given me by my brother when I was around 12, but a tuner was broken and I was actively discouraged from learning the guitar because 'of the trouble rocknroll/guitars brought to our home.'
It wasn't until shortly before my 14th birthday that I bought an Aria 12 string off my brother for 50 CAD.
I didn't play a bass until I was 19, I think. And made a fool of myself blatting the opening guitar triad of Purple Haze out in a jam with musicians far better than I.
So, now. Guitar, bass, keys, Irish Bouzouki and Appalachian Dulcimer, the latter 2 in the last 8 years or so.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

banjo to begin
then guitar and a bit of keys.
short lived metal vocalist.

later in life, went to college then uni, 6 years in all, where i had to learn piano to at least grade3, but ended up at 5.
played xylophone on a friend's album.

now guitar and noodling on telephone exchanges.

failed at didgeridoo, got the sound going, but years of excessive weed inhalation, meant it was short gasps.
same with flute.

hoping to "learn" hurdy gurdy.
which im sure the neighbours will enjoy as much as me.

Banjos and accordions. That must signify something. Not sure what.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:18 pm Banjos and accordions. That must signify something. Not sure what.
mine was my granddad's, he taught me old irish rebel songs. 8)

Accordions are far underrated for their capabilities and skill set required to play them effectively.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:47 pm Accordions are far underrated for their capabilities and skill set required to play them effectively.
you know who says that?
accordian players.

:hihi:

HEY! EVERBODEEE LOVES DA POLKA!

My father was good. The only good thing I take from my paternal side is my love for music and my capacity, such as it is, to make it.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

vurt wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:48 pm
tapper mike wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:47 pm Accordions are far underrated for their capabilities and skill set required to play them effectively.
you know who says that?
accordian players.

:hihi:
Because no one else would dare try.

the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

More like 'Go to Oktoberfest.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Guitars”