Dubstep Phaser Bass - how to emulate harmor's phaser (solved)

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bluesawsq wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:59 pm
Digitt wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:09 pm Any ideas on how to emulate harmor's phaser in other plugins? That's the main focus of my post
In Harmor's phaser there are many features that are difficult to emulate in a traditional subtractive-style phaser. However, the 'Classic' type of the Harmor's phaser can be emulated quite closely using a traditional barberpole (endless) phaser.

Barberpole phaser VST plugins seem to be pretty rare. Maybe the best solution would be to use NI Reaktor. You can create a barberpole phaser relatively easily based on Reaktor's core library Phaser. And then edit the structure to replace the 'Phaser 6N Stereo' macro with a 'Barberpole Phaser' macro. Use a bit of internal oversampling, like 58.8kHz, to get rid of high frequency cramping.
To increase number of notches, you can duplicate the allpass-filter chains inside the macro. Some other minor tweak are also needed, but it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out if you are familiar with structure editing in Reaktor.

To get deeper notches you could put multiple phasers in series. That's easy in Reaktor, but works also with any VST phaser + some macro controls in your DAW. There are probably more intelligent ways to do it in DSP, but multiple phasers in series is just a simple brute-force solution.
DUDE you totally nailed it with the barberpole phaser!!! I haven't even gotten to try the reaktor phaser yet, but I looked for barberpole plugins and found Sinevibes Whirl https://www.sinevibes.com/whirl/. It sounds very similar to harmor's phasor and it did the trick! I was able to make a really great sound with it in the style I wanted!!!

Thank you so much!

Looking into some others to try tomorrow. here's a thread that has a few listed https://www.reddit.com/r/makingvaporwav ... le-phaser/

thank you soo much man! you hit the nail on the head. barberpole did the trick. harmor's sounds a tiny bit different due to it being an additive synth in disguise, but, I might even argue that Whirl had smoother transitions. Either way, it made a great sound. will test both properly tomorrow to see the differences but I can def make the sounds I need with whirl :) thank you!

Happy to help. :)
Didn't know about Sinevibes Whirl. The audio examples sound nice. I'm glad it worked for you. :tu:

if you're on Windows go track down Oli Larkin's Endless modulators

bluesawsq wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:12 am Happy to help. :)
Didn't know about Sinevibes Whirl. The audio examples sound nice. I'm glad it worked for you. :tu:
I found also that frequency shifters work as well the same way! Very interesting. the reason is if you have the dry and wet signals phase each other out so it sounds almost identical to a barberpole phaser. Bitwig has a freq shifter already. You can check out full buckets frequency shifter for a free plugin that does this. It sounds very close to harmors phaser.

sqigls wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:17 am if you're on Windows go track down Oli Larkin's Endless modulators
Tried it now, I'm on mac but its on mac as well so i tried the demo. It can do some trippy stuff, but notexactly what i need here :) But thanks for the suggestion! the barberpole and freq shifter approach solved my issue :)

Return to “Sound Design”