Where is Softube Modular heading.

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi. I love SM, it sounds like nothing else and I love patching with it even if the UI could be very much improved.

But lately I´ve started to be concerned. I wonder if a major revision could be expected, it should be IMHO. Also what we can expect of the future of SM. It started with emulations of famous eurorack modules. Not anymore. Then started to introduce their own modules from instruments and effects more and more. Then the classic synth emulations with their corresponding modules for SM (I liked that...)

The path of SM looks a little erratic and simply I don´t know what to expect. If we will see a major revision, if we will see any new third party Eurorack modules emulations again, if they will continue with the classic synth emulations...

A little communication, a vague roadmap at least would be very appreciated. A deviation from what seemed the original concept I can understand, but Being a little more confident about the future of the system would be very nice too. SM is one of my main tools and I would like it to be in that place for as many time as possible.

I know I will get no response from ST, but I would like to know how other SM users feel about this.
Last edited by Fernando Carvalho on Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Softube recently overhauled Amp Room with a slick new interface. I expect that they will develop a new interface for Modular too at some point. I've seen quite a few complaints about the UI, and I'm sure that the Softube developers are aware of this.

As for modules, I expect that they will release more vintage synth emulations along with the accompanying modules for Modular. I hope that they will develop more licensed Eurorack modules, but I'm not optimistic about this.

I definitely wouldn’t mind a bit of UX work. The look is mostly fine, but the whole way of doing anything is ridiculous. I mean, there’s not even a CV controllable mixer. It’s so clumsy that I’ve basically given up on patching anything from scratch and instead I just use presets and modify them. They nailed the sound part, now they just have to get the work flow right.

They could also use some more interesting modules. Most are pretty basic. Open your API up to more third party developers, like Toybox. Imagine having all the Toybox modules in Softube Modular. Fun.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

They should port their modules to VCV Rack. They would sell a lot more modules and it's a lot more useable environment to patch them in. I can't remember when I last opened Modular, and that's a real shame because the modules are not bad at all.
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

twolegstoneworks wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:27 am They should port their modules to VCV Rack.
Softube's Buchla module is what lured me in (being Eurorack- and West Coast Synthesis-curious) - now I feel silly for not having done enough research, I didn't know there was an alternative platform (VCV) :dog:
SonicDimension wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:40 am As for modules, I expect that they will release more vintage synth emulations along with the accompanying modules for Modular. I hope that they will develop more licensed Eurorack modules, but I'm not optimistic about this.
I was hoping for more licensed Eurorack modules, I'm not really interested in (module versions of) the classic vintage synths, as I try to focus on the ones I have (U-He).

cptgone wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:23 am
twolegstoneworks wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:27 am They should port their modules to VCV Rack.
Softube's Buchla module is what lured me in (being Eurorack- and West Coast Synthesis-curious) - now I feel silly for not having done enough research, I didn't know there was an alternative platform (VCV) :dog:
VCV is awesome, and superior to Softube Modular in many ways, but in terms of actually nailing the sound of an analog modular setup, it falls short. You did pick the best sounding modular system. Reaktor Blocks second, and VCV third. The thing that’s cool about VCV is it’s easy to do polyphony on it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Thanks zerocrossing 8)

Give it time , the amount of pristine analogue models for vcv rack will grow .
Cytomic has entered the vcv market and I could post a screenshot of some vcv modules by a third party that will get anyone excited , but I wont….(NDA)
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

4ms is going to release their modules for VCV Rack ("almost all" of them, according to the developer) in conjunction with their upcoming Eurorack module that runs VCV.

I really wish Softube would just jump over to VCV too if they're not going to update their own modular. They haven't released any more licensed Eurorack modules in over 3 years, and currently, the main function of their Modular seems to be as a marketing tool for their other synths. I know I probably wouldn't have bought their Minimoog or 101 clones if it wasn't for the modules being included. And now I don't even use the modules because even though they sound great, working in VCV is easier and way more fun.

cthonophonic wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:21 am 4ms is going to release their modules for VCV Rack ("almost all" of them, according to the developer) in conjunction with their upcoming Eurorack module that runs VCV.

I really wish Softube would just jump over to VCV too if they're not going to update their own modular. They haven't released any more licensed Eurorack modules in over 3 years, and currently, the main function of their Modular seems to be as a marketing tool for their other synths. I know I probably wouldn't have bought their Minimoog or 101 clones if it wasn't for the modules being included. And now I don't even use the modules because even though they sound great, working in VCV is easier and way more fun.
Damn… and all will be free releases. I just bought PEG for SM.

It wasn’t much. I haven’t bought any other sm modules in all the years I’ve had SM. It really does sound great. I love using Heartbeat especially.

I haven’t used VCV, except for the forked iPad version.

For me the breakout modules from their synth emulations lack CV inputs (the whole point of Modular IMO) and are mostly offer minor variations in oscillator and filter tones. I too am disappointed we have not seen more emulations of MI, 4ms and Intellijel modules. Perhaps the can’t afford the licensing fees.

cthonophonic wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:21 am 4ms is going to release their modules for VCV Rack ("almost all" of them, according to the developer) in conjunction with their upcoming Eurorack module that runs VCV.

Yeah, I was buying their instruments when they were on sale to use in Modular, but after a while I stopped. How many variants of a VCO or VCF do I really need?

So, I’m like you, using VCV because it’s fun and easy to work with, but I still use Modular. I just pull up a preset and alter it, make sub patches from it as if it was a plugin of its own. Sometimes swap out bits for other bits.
Zerocrossing Media

SHall1000 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:55 pm For me the breakout modules from their synth emulations lack CV inputs (the whole point of Modular IMO) and are mostly offer minor variations in oscillator and filter tones. I too am disappointed we have not seen more emulations of MI, 4ms and Intellijel modules. Perhaps the can’t afford the licensing fees.
It’s probably more a matter of Softube’s terms being unfavorable for developers. Meaning, when they sell a module on their site they’re taking too big a cut or something like that. Softube’s pretty well established as one of the major software players, but I speculate that’s not enough to generate enough funds for a third party developer to accept a tiny portion of the proceeds, or they’d be jumping on board. What they should be doing is just opening up their API to everyone, like VCV does, or even Reaktor. I buy Toybox modules directly from Toybox, and they’re awesome. Does NI get a cut? It doesn’t seem like it. Closed standards rarely work out. Better Softube makes its money from people wanting to buy the core Modular plugin because there’s so much cool stuff to buy for it.
Zerocrossing Media

twolegstoneworks wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:27 am They should port their modules to VCV Rack. They would sell a lot more modules and it's a lot more useable environment to patch them in. I can't remember when I last opened Modular, and that's a real shame because the modules are not bad at all.
Why would they do that? They most likely wouldn’t sound the same outside of softube own environment, it kind of defeats the purpose

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:16 am
SHall1000 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:55 pm Perhaps the can’t afford the licensing fees.
It’s probably more a matter of Softube’s terms being unfavorable for developers. Meaning, when they sell a module on their site they’re taking too big a cut or something like that.
Perhaps, it’s just a niche market and nobody is going to invest in it anymore ?

Return to “Modular Synthesis”