Socalabs Wavetable (Free synth)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Wavetable

FigBug wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:17 am
Teksonik wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:02 am I made the mistake of choosing "80s Dirty Lead" first and for some reason it destroys this system with a few notes. To be fair it's just my old i5 internet/test system but it will usually handle most plugins if not pushed too hard.
I've put 0 effort into optimization so far, so I'd be interested to know what type of CPU usage people are seeing. It's fine on my machine, but it's a pretty high end Apple M1. Is anybody else struggling, or is it something specific about your DAW / system maybe?
Oh like I said this system is just an old i5 3470 that turbos at 3.6 GHz. I only use if for internet and testing plugins such as this one. It will usually run anything but there are plugins that when pushed can easily bring it to its knees.

It's just some of the patches in this synth that can overload it with only a few notes. Others are quite reasonable. I haven't had time to look into why those patches require so much more CPU. FX maybe? Etc.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:04 pm It's just some of the patches in this synth that can overload it with only a few notes. Others are quite reasonable. I haven't had time to look into why those patches require so much more CPU. FX maybe? Etc.
Maybe the reverb? Maybe unison on the oscillators?

Thank you for supporting Linux!!!!! :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

FigBug wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:48 pm I need a good demo song / patch demo. Does anybody know where I can find somebody who specializes in that?
You should have your synth featured in the monthly One Synth Challenge.

Fette Töle wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:09 pm
FigBug wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:48 pm I need a good demo song / patch demo. Does anybody know where I can find somebody who specializes in that?
I've asked in the OSC discussion thread, maybe you could give my request some support. viewtopic.php?t=301957&start=4410

FigBug wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:57 pm
Teksonik wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:04 pm It's just some of the patches in this synth that can overload it with only a few notes. Others are quite reasonable. I haven't had time to look into why those patches require so much more CPU. FX maybe? Etc.
Maybe the reverb? Maybe unison on the oscillators?
Possibly. I'll see if I can look into it later today. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Couldn't help noting that the ADSRs don't behave like traditional ADSRs in that it would appear that Decay and Sustain are tied together graphically and otherwise.

Is there any way to reverse interrogate a modulation source directly from the modulated control? (not the matrix).
On a number of Macs

Weasel-Boy wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:53 pm Is there any way to reverse interrogate a modulation source directly from the modulated control? (not the matrix).
Right click on the dot that appears next to the knob?

i have the MTX (matrix) view visible/active
i switch preset -> display switches to SRC view

i'd love the MTX view persistant while switching presets...

FigBug wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:11 pm
Fette Töle wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:09 pm
I've asked in the OSC discussion thread, maybe you could give my request some support. viewtopic.php?t=301957&start=4410
I suggested Wavetable as the next OSC synthesizer in Discord. I really like your synthesizer and I hope that it will enter and get its share of recognition, as well as many great tracks and patches! :tu: Although, it has a serious competitor in the form of Vaporizer 2, which has become free, I hope that we will eventually have time for both.

I'm on Cakewalk, Windows 7, and my experience and feedback for now are as follows:

- I caught a bug: if you set mono -> on with pressed key, this key in mono will play when any other key is pressed. This is fixed when preset is changing.

- The above problems with high CPU usage (on older PCs like mine) most likely, caused mainly by large unison values.

- I see Pitch Bend in the SRC list, but it is preset to +- 2 semitones not through the MTX table. Would be useful either to have a separate knob to change the range/disable Pitch Bend for pitch, or to display this binding in MTX by default so that we can also set, for example, +- 12-15-27-36 semitones, or untie the Pitch Bend and use it as another free modulator (like Mod Wheel).

- It would be great someday to have multiple curves (and even better the ability to bend it manually) for ADSR segments. Only straight lines don't sound very artistic)

- I don't know how difficult it is to implement, so take it as my dream... I'm thrilled with the huge range delay and spent some time with it as a creative loopstation! If it is possible to make the "Delay time" knob's algorithm smoother so that it does not crack when changing in real time (in not sync mode), this will become the perfect tool! :pray:

- And at the end, some little things about the "Glide" section. A trifle, but rate knob is more recognizable under the time name, I did not immediately understand what it was for. :hihi: It's also funny that in the portamento mode sliding happens smoothly, and in the glissando mode it jumps over the notes. It's really funny, I'm not even complaining, maybe there will be a creative use for this in the future!)

in the MTX/Matrix view there is a minus symbol to completely delete a modulation
it would imho be cool, if here was also a on/off switch, to temporaryly en/disable each individual modulation

muki wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:12 pm i have the MTX (matrix) view visible/active
i switch preset -> display switches to SRC view

i'd love the MTX view persistant while switching presets...
Should the same apply to LFOs and ENVs?

FigBug wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:46 am Should the same apply to LFOs and ENVs?
imho any in the MTX list
since screen realestate is quite low, maybe via a context menu (ctrl-click/rightclick) or via modifier key command...

imho would be handy for testing: how does is sound with modulation? without modulation ?
without deleting and destroying the already fine-tuned mod...

IV! wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:04 am - I caught a bug: if you set mono -> on with pressed key, this key in mono will play when any other key is pressed. This is fixed when preset is changing.

- The above problems with high CPU usage (on older PCs like mine) most likely, caused mainly by large unison values.

- I see Pitch Bend in the SRC list, but it is preset to +- 2 semitones not through the MTX table. Would be useful either to have a separate knob to change the range/disable Pitch Bend for pitch, or to display this binding in MTX by default so that we can also set, for example, +- 12-15-27-36 semitones, or untie the Pitch Bend and use it as another free modulator (like Mod Wheel).

- It would be great someday to have multiple curves (and even better the ability to bend it manually) for ADSR segments. Only straight lines don't sound very artistic)

- I don't know how difficult it is to implement, so take it as my dream... I'm thrilled with the huge range delay and spent some time with it as a creative loopstation! If it is possible to make the "Delay time" knob's algorithm smoother so that it does not crack when changing in real time (in not sync mode), this will become the perfect tool! :pray:

- And at the end, some little things about the "Glide" section. A trifle, but rate knob is more recognizable under the time name, I did not immediately understand what it was for. :hihi: It's also funny that in the portamento mode sliding happens smoothly, and in the glissando mode it jumps over the notes. It's really funny, I'm not even complaining, maybe there will be a creative use for this in the future!)
There is a Discord?

Added all these to my todo list. Maybe I have my terms backwards, but one is supposed to mimic a piano or guitar, where you hear each note when you slide. The other is supposed to mimic a fretless instrument. Delay is supposed to be smooth, looks like I started on it, I guess I forgot to finish / test it. Curved ADSR I want to. This was my covid/lockdown project, but it took 3 years to finish. It's not my day job, I just wanted to do an entire synth myself. Some features had to get cut to get it out the door. I'll get to these requests when I get a moment.
Last edited by FigBug on Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

muki wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:55 am
FigBug wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:46 am Should the same apply to LFOs and ENVs?
imho any in the MTX list
since screen realestate is quite low, maybe via a context menu (ctrl-click/rightclick) or via modifier key command...

imho would be handy for testing: how does is sound with modulation? without modulation ?
without deleting and destroying the already fine-tuned mod...
I meant the LFOs are in 3 tabs, should the same LFO stay visible when you load a preset

Return to “Instruments”