Drum Machine VSTs (Geist2, Microtonic)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all and thanks in advance for your sharing of knowledge.

As someone who has only recently gotten into this game, the depth and volume of information available here as a resource is amazing. I've played music since I was a child (guitar and piano) but only in the last few months have I discovered the rabbit hole of recording, DAWs, VSTs and so on. I have a lot of songs in skeletal acoustic structure that I wish to flesh into something fuller and truer to the visions I have for them in my head.

Which brings me to this object of discussion. I research things extensively generally speaking. And I'm quite particular about what I'm looking for in a drum machine VST. I need something that complements the rest of the instruments whilst also being the fundamental beat of the whole thing. I suppose that's drumming in a nutshell. But I have very specific sounds in my head I want to manifest through a VST.

I messed around with Microtonic last night and after realising how it works over a few hours, it really is very intuitive as a lot of you have said in previous threads. I think I will have a lot of fun with it and it will be conducive to my objectives.

However, I was very dismayed to find out that Geist2 is discontinued and unavailable. That to me seems to be the software closest to what I am looking for in a drum machine VST. I would like something I can chop samples up in, layer samples, sequence them (manually or randomly) and create beats out of them. It seems like Geist2 was the closest thing on the market that could arrange for that.

So, I guess I'm saying... 50% of my needs have been met by Microtonic. The other 50% can be met with something like Geist2. What would be the next best alternative to Geist2? Or is there any way to procure a legacy edition of Geist2? I'm currently operating on a Macbook running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6.

Have you got a drum sample library already? Maybe something like Algonaut Atlas or XLN XO (basically the same idea on both), they should tick the boxes you mention.

Microtonic for the synthetic sounds and Atlas for the rest works for me. :)

planet_b wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:39 am Have you got a drum sample library already? Maybe something like Algonaut Atlas or XLN XO (basically the same idea on both), they should tick the boxes you mention.

Yes, I have a drum sample library already. Should have specified that in the original post, apologies.

I haven't heard of either of those, I'll google them now. Thank you planet b.

planet_b wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:39 am Have you got a drum sample library already? Maybe something like Algonaut Atlas or XLN XO (basically the same idea on both), they should tick the boxes you mention.

Both AA and XLN XO look like exactly what I'm looking for. What made you choose AA over XLN? And did you ever use Geist/Geist2 -- if so, how would you compare it to AA/XLN?

I would like something I can chop samples up in, layer samples, sequence them (manually or randomly) and create beats out of them. It seems like Geist2 was the closest thing on the market that could arrange for that.
Neither AA and XO fill all these criteria

They're essentially sample organiser/players that assume that the samples are already chopped.

They're absolutely brilliant at what they do though and would highly recommend either of them.

AA does have a sample editor but it's kind of basic and fiddly.

HY SLicer 2 fits all the criteria for chopping, layering and sequencing.

Tal Drum also has extensive chopping and layering functionality but lacks a sequencer.

Also often overlooked is ADSR's in house drum machine. It's a really good plugin.

Hi,

If you want something super simple and cheap with lots of character, you can't go wrong with the $60 TAL Drum plugin. Although it doesn't offer any sequencing capabilities, it will chop up loops and map the individual samples to its 64 pads per kit. Here's a link to the TAL Drum product page:

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-drum

If you want something much more powerful (but also far more complex and expensive,) Steinberg's Groove Agent plugin is worth considering. It comes with tons of both acoustic and electronic drum and percussion kits, has three different "drum engines," includes comprehensive step sequencing functions, over 1,000 MIDI grooves, sophisticated sample editing features, good sounding built in FX, an internal mixer with support for insert and send FX, "round robin" sample triggering, sampling directly into the plugin (though this is a bit of a pain to set up,) and the list goes on and on.

The one thing it doesn't have is the ability to synthesize your own drum sounds which is a bit of a bummer. It's all sample-based as far as I know. (That's where Microtonic comes in.)

Here's a link to the Groove Agent page on the Steinberg site:

https://www.steinberg.net/vst-instruments/groove-agent/

Hope this helps.

Pynchonian wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:00 pm Both AA and XLN XO look like exactly what I'm looking for. What made you choose AA over XLN? And did you ever use Geist/Geist2 -- if so, how would you compare it to AA/XLN?
There is a lengthy discussion on those two over here viewtopic.php?t=576372 :)

"Like toilet paper, we're on a roll."

My only drum plugins I use are Polyplex and Kick2.
If you don't need a sequencer than I recommend to have a look at polyplex. It's sample based but has a really good workflow for layering and creating drum sets based on that.

I love to use microtonic me too, but don't really know about geist but it seems like an ultra complete drum stuff, maybe you should check rob papen's punch 2, or UVI drum designer, or even melda mdrummer see what workflow suits you.

Hello guys.
I use M2 Pro and Logic Pro with Rosetta. Geist2 posible for this configuration but Fxpansion stopped selling this drum sampler.
Last revision 2.1.2.13 64 bit AU. I would be happy to consider options for purchasing a serial number.

ElVincente wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:07 pm I love to use microtonic me too, but don't really know about geist but it seems like an ultra complete drum stuff, maybe you should check rob papen's punch 2, or UVI drum designer, or even melda mdrummer see what workflow suits you.
I like Punch more than Geist 2.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

edit: i was wrong

Geist 2 is still the King. Nothing else comes close.

Battalion by Unfiltered audio seems pretty interesting, but has very high CPU usage ...

https://youtu.be/u5s4BmHiscM
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... alion.html

Return to “Instruments”