Charlatan³ Free VA synth updated to v3.1.2 (Win/Linux)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan

karrikuh wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:35 am
audiojunkie wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:46 pmIs this the version that now supports a way to scale up on Linux for high resolution monitors?
Unfortunately not. I started experimenting in this direction but it's still some way to go, also because I want to concentrate on other things first. It will certainly be mentioned explicitly in the release notes once it's there.
I understand. Thank you for at least committing to this feature! 🙂 I try to be patient for it. In the meantime, I’ll have to content myself with everyone’s great patches and demos. 🙂 Thanks again for all of the great work you do!! 🙂
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Great sounding synth. I've got a problem with the MSEGs though on Ubuntu 23.10, XFCE, Reaper 7.11. The click and drag doesn't work for me, neither on the line curvature nor the breakpoints - they highlight on mouseover but can't be moved.

wikter wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:33 am Anyway, we'll be happy to see you around the discord server.
About Charlatan, I've found something strange. I've started using xform modulators and I've found it useful to transform input velocity. Then I tried to transform envelopes to get even faster envelopes & it worked fine, but doing the same in mono and poly sounds really different. I've tried different sources, destinations, and xform slots. It's noticeable with evelopes.
I've attached a patch. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but just switching from "retrigger" to "poly" makes the envelope modulate filter in a different way.
Thanks for the feedback, looks like you found a genuine bug! Fixed in 3.0.1.

3.0.1 (2024-03-17)
  • BUGFIX: Envelopes not retriggered in Poly mode if no mod target assigned
  • Added two more presets "Vox Humana" and "Kick Pure"

I haven't waded through the entire thread to see if this has been mentioned, but I was quite confused when dragging the oscillator ratio value sometimes changed its value by 1, sometimes 0.1, sometimes 0.01, and sometimes 0.001 (and it made no difference if I held down shift, assuming "fine adjustment"). Then I figured it out: the initial value shows 1.000, so if you click+drag the digit 1, the value is changed by 1; the first 0, the value is changed by 0.1; the second 0, the value is changed by 0.01; the third 0, the value is changed by 0.001. This isn't mentioned in quickguide.txt, and I don't know how obvious this is in the first place. But it's a useful feature when you know it :)
Edit: functions the same when hovering over the digits with the mouse cursor and scrolling up/down.
CLAPi, REAPER 7.11, Win10, if it makes any difference.

Unfortunately saving my own presets doesn't work for me. Clicking the "store" symbol to the right of the preset browser doesn't do anything for me.

BackInCheck wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:22 pm Unfortunately saving my own presets doesn't work for me. Clicking the "store" symbol to the right of the preset browser doesn't do anything for me.
Can you please provide some details about your OS? Win or Linux? Which version/distro?
If Linux, did you run the check_compatibility.sh script?

gauderbock wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:43 pm Great sounding synth. I've got a problem with the MSEGs though on Ubuntu 23.10, XFCE, Reaper 7.11. The click and drag doesn't work for me, neither on the line curvature nor the breakpoints - they highlight on mouseover but can't be moved.
Sorry to hear that, but without some more clues I don't know where to look.
So the problem only affects the MSEG editor? All other controls like pots are working fine?

karrikuh wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:14 pm Sorry to hear that, but without some more clues I don't know where to look.
So the problem only affects the MSEG editor? All other controls like pots are working fine?
All pots, sliders and buttons seem to be fine, but the problem's also there in the XLFO and OSC editors. I can double click to add points, but not drag the points or change the line curvature.

I just noticed that ctrl-click in these editors seems a bit strange too, deleting the envelope / waveform section by section starting from the right, then crashing Reaper when the last one is removed. I'm not sure I've explained that well, I can try a screen capture if needed.

Just to add to the above, the paintbrush tool in the MSEG editor allows dragging on the segments it creates while it's activated, but once turned off the segments are again non-draggable.

3.1.0 released!
  • New Phaser FX modes (8-pole, Allpass)
  • New area selection in MSEG editor (Shift-Click-Drag) allows to edit as well as delete (via Delete/Backspace key) multiple breakpoints together
  • Add polarity switch for MSEG
  • Allow to switch presets via arrow keys in browser
  • Minor UI tweaks
  • BUGFIX: Regression from 3.0.1 where voices could continue processing while silent

Congrats on the new update!!! :) Do the "Minor UI tweaks" include allowing Linux users to scale up for high resolution? I'm still trying to wait patiently to try out your software. :D
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

One Synth Challenge for April:
viewtopic.php?t=608771

initial impressions are that i like it... any chance of a matrix window though so we can see all the modulations together somewhere?

RichardSemper wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:04 pm One Synth Challenge for April:
viewtopic.php?t=608771
Very nice to see that!

BackInCheck wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:22 pm Unfortunately saving my own presets doesn't work for me. Clicking the "store" symbol to the right of the preset browser doesn't do anything for me.
Same for me...

Win 10 x64
No auto tune...

Return to “Instruments”