Current Launch v2 - A new instrument platform by Minimal Audio

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlDl7xdGcME

Hey everyone!

We’re proud to announce the future of our flagship virtual instrument: Current.

The feedback we received from you helped us make Current more accessible with two paths to ownership: the new Current All Access plan and a perpetual purchase option. A 30-day free trial is also available with no payment info required. Bundle upgrades are also now available for existing effect owners.

What is Current All Access?
This is a rent-to-own program that includes our flagship synthesizer, Current, its full integrated effect suite, and unlimited downloads of expansions from the Stream. Additionally, Fuse Compressor, Morph EQ, and Cluster Delay are included in the All Access plan as standalone plugins, and the remaining Current effects will be added shortly. All future effects are also included.

Every dollar you spend is credited back to you as store credit at the end of your billing cycle. Monthly plans receive $15 per month, while yearly plans receive $120 per year + $60 in bonus credit. Yearly subscribers save 33% annually.

Current Perpetual License
This option is a one-time license purchase of $199 for the full version of Current, shipped with the complete engine, integrated effects rack, and all factory content. This includes 340+ presets, 180+ wavetables, and 160+ sounds.

Perpetual license buyers get a one-year trial of Current All Access, which includes all standalone effects and unlimited expansion downloads in the Stream.

There is also a new bundle upgrade for existing customers to save 30% on Current perpetual.

What is Current?
Current is an instrument and content platform that consists of three interconnected parts: the Engine, Effects, and Stream. Together, they form a cohesive ecosystem for endless music-making, and each area will continue to expand and grow with new features and content.

Sound Engine
Current's core engine includes dual spectral wavetable oscillators, a granular sampling engine, an additive sub-oscillator, a time-stretching sampler, dual multi-mode filters, and FM routing. The integrated arpeggiator and chord generator can be used to quickly generate musical ideas, while a comprehensive modulation system makes it easy to add movement and get creative with your patches.

Integrated Effect Suite
Current's effect rack provides all of our effect plugins that can be freely loaded and rearranged. This includes Rift Distortion, Morph Eq, and Cluster Delay, and additional unreleased effects, with more to come. Each effect includes sub-presets so you can quickly try out or save settings.

Cloud-Connected Stream
The Stream is a cloud-connected content browser that is directly integrated into the instrument. Every month, new presets, samples, and wavetables are automatically made available for download. Search, preview, favorite, and get right back to making music. The Stream also functions perfectly in offline mode, using only your local content.

Current is for everybody, and with these models in place, we believe it is much more accessible.

We want to thank you for the support and feedback you've shared with us – we couldn't do it without you.

Learn more → https://www.minimal.audio/products/current

We're looking forward to hearing what you make with it!

We’re also updating some of our other policies. We'll soon be adding 30-day trials to the rest of our software products, as well as allowing one-time license transfers for perpetual products. Both of these options will be available in the coming months.

I've been on the rent-to-own plan and thinking about buying a perpetual license, does this come with all the wavetables/samples you can download through the synth on the stream platform? Or are those only included in the rent-to-own plan and then you buy them separately?

Nice. When the year of all access is up after the perpetual license purchase, do I lose access to all the expansions of that year or do I get to keep everything I have downloaded?

I own all of the effects, so I got the upgrade offer. As I understand it, the vouchers do not work with upgrades and they do not work during sales. Would future sales affect the upgrade prices at all?

Zoopy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:22 pm I've been on the rent-to-own plan and thinking about buying a perpetual license, does this come with all the wavetables/samples you can download through the synth on the stream platform? Or are those only included in the rent-to-own plan and then you buy them separately?
All of the presets that launched with Current last month are included in the factory content. We'll also be adding more presets to each pack to bring them up to 50 per pack. You'll have the option to purchase future content separately. Anything you used from the stream during all access and is loaded in a session, will continue to work if you move off of all access and onto perpetual.

gondii wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:22 pm Nice. When the year of all access is up after the perpetual license purchase, do I lose access to all the expansions of that year or do I get to keep everything I have downloaded?
You will lose access to packs which you were using through all access on new sessions, but not any sessions or saved work. Packs with the AA symbol in the Stream denote packs available through all access, check marks indicate packs which you own. There also is a new "owned" filter in the Stream. Any packs you have previously purchased with Minimal Audio will show as owned inside of Current already, as well as any samples previously credited through the web version of the Stream.

After the year of all access, any sessions / sounds / patches /etc, will all continue to load in sessions correctly. The packs & content will show a locked icon, with the option to unlock / purchase them perpetually if you like the pack.
gondii wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:22 pm I own all of the effects, so I got the upgrade offer. As I understand it, the vouchers do not work with upgrades and they do not work during sales. Would future sales affect the upgrade prices at all?
Correct, the vouchers cannot be combined with other discounts, but the yearly subscribers get 33% off perpetual licenses through the $60 cash back bonus.

I watched a few vids and can see wave tables can be bought from the stream but can you import your own in the perpetual version ?

Samiver wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:07 pm I watched a few vids and can see wave tables can be bought from the stream but can you import your own in the perpetual version ?
Yes, you can drop single files onto any engine which will import it and add it to the in app user pool. You also have the option to point to any folder on your machine, and import it into Current. Then is shows up next to all the other factory packs etc. You can right click to delete etc as well. If you have any issues using your own content please let us know!

Cool! I love all of this.

CURRENTLY ;) if you play the same note in succession the amp envelope resets and cuts the voice, any plans to add more flexibility with envelopes and retriggering etc? voice options? or am I missing something somewhere?

Minimal Audio wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:13 pm
Samiver wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:07 pm I watched a few vids and can see wave tables can be bought from the stream but can you import your own in the perpetual version ?
Yes, you can drop single files onto any engine which will import it and add it to the in app user pool. You also have the option to point to any folder on your machine, and import it into Current. Then is shows up next to all the other factory packs etc. You can right click to delete etc as well. If you have any issues using your own content please let us know!
Great, thank you

Zoopy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:27 pm Cool! I love all of this.

CURRENTLY ;) if you play the same note in succession the amp envelope resets and cuts the voice, any plans to add more flexibility with envelopes and retriggering etc? voice options? or am I missing something somewhere?
Yeah there's a few ways to handle this UX. We've had a couple requests for tails to not be cut on playback stop as well, we plan to add more voicing / unison / legato modes & controls

And? @Minimal Audio?
Already regretting calling it Current or still enjoying the puns?

:hihi:

ahuman wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:59 pm And? @Minimal Audio?
Already regretting calling it Current or still enjoying the puns?
It's CURRENTLY low on list of complaints we've gotten this month :lol:

Thanks again for listening..
How does one demo it?

Also, so theoretically i can own it for $139 in a years time? ($120 annual giving me $180, and assuming the price doesn't go up, the $19 additional).
Btw can one use the credit during a sale?
thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

Love the synth. Bought a perpetual as soon as it became available.

It's a joy to use and the results are awesome.

I'm having a great time with it.

However.... :D

Is there a way of entering values numerically?

I often need to enter a specific value for say, pitch modulation depth to use the curve editor as a melodic sequencer.

Sampler window is too small when working with longer samples and I think start points and loop start and end points should be in samples as opposed to percentages. Being able to crop a sample from within the plugin would be cool.

Being able to disable/suspend modulation sources and destinations would be very useful when working with more complicated patches.

A manual would be great. The videos are great but nothing beats a manual for referencing specifics.

Finally...is there a way of adding audio preview to user content? I notice the Stream presets have some kind of mp3 associated with the preset.

It's one of the nicest synths I've used. Visual feedback is great. The whole thing is really slick without being too flashy.

Also it sounds fantastic!! (always helps)

Looking forward to using it more and seeing where you take it.

Is the sampler capable of loading multisamples and round robins?

The 4x oversampling seems potentially promising for FM, but someone on Reddit said "the modulation and fm are poor"?

What most interests me about this synth is the claim that it's second only to Equator2 in terms of MPE controls (according to that one person...). I might demo if in the future there's a much wider variety of presets (as in, including a bunch that I actually like...) that add significantly to what I've already got from having most of the Equator2 and Cypher2 presets. (Equator2 has multisamples, round robins, and FM but no oversampling so far. Cypher2 has great FM with oversampling, but no samples. So samples + FM with oversampling could be useful, at least unless Equator2 adds oversampling in the future.)

The sub bass stuff that's afaik unique to this synth seems mostly a matter of convenience, or including sub bass inside a patch instead of as a separate instrument while keeping the sub in the same octave.

Return to “Instruments”