LUNA is now free for all Mac users

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Have anyone tried it already?

roman.i wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:57 pm Have anyone tried it already?
It's a nice one. A bit of an upsell-fest, but a solid DAW overall.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

It looks like a reaper skin, white tie I think it’s called.

No, thank you. :wink:
Appreciate freebie but I’ll stick to my tried and trusted Cubase, Logic, Live and Reason :wink:

I've been using it for a couple of years. It's a phenomenal mixing platform and is good for people who mainly record audio. It's weak in regards to MIDI.

There's no USP for me to try it. Logic here.

I got it free a while ago as an Apollo owner. I've used it a bit and it's pretty nice, but it won't replace Logic for me.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

The LUNA extensions have to be purchased separately even if you own the UAD plugin of the same. For instance, in my LUNA right now, I have the API Vision Channel Strip and 2500 Compressor extensions available in DEMO mode, even though I own the plugins.

Also, there is an Ampex ATR-102 LUNA extension that is fully working as pure native, but still no native UAD plugin for it.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I can assume it doesn’t host third party plugins?
'and when we got bored, we'd have a world war...'

ians wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:47 am I can assume it doesn’t host third party plugins?
It does, but it seems to be AU only.

Just installed it to try - now in my UA connect I am seeing Oxide Tape Recorder and several other plugins I do not own but it does not say if these are demos or full so I'm not clear about that. I already own the API Vision channel strip and now can see components of that on the summing bus, however under Luna in UA connect it list those as demos, so do they expect me to pay again? Very weird

Oxide and Shape LUNA extensions are included with free LUNA.

You also get a 30-day demo of the LUNA Pro Bundle, which includes the following:
  • Ampex ATR-102 Master Tape Machine & LUNA Extension
  • API 2500 Bus Compressor & LUNA Extension
  • API Preamp
  • API Summing LUNA Extension
  • API Vision Channel Strip & LUNA Extension
  • Century Tube Channel Strip
  • Galaxy Tape Echo
  • Oxide Tape Recorder
  • Polymax
  • Pultec Passive EQ Collection
  • Pure Plate Reverb
  • Studer A800 Tape Recorder & LUNA Extension
  • Teletronix LA-2A Leveler Collection
Take note that some are LUNA extensions, some are UAD plugins, and some are both.

https://www.uaudio.com/luna.html

According to the LUNA Manual:
If you own the UAD Studer A800 plug-in, you will get a free license deposited for the Studer A800 Multichannel Tape Recorder Extension.
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... 46FNG2HRRF

Same for the Ampex plugin, though it’s still not available native.

In the MANAGE tab within LUNA, I'm seeing both the Studer A800 Tape Recorder (which I own) and Studer A800 Multichannel Tape Recorder. Neither are in DEMO.

Extensions such as Neve Summing, API Summing, and API Vision Console Emulation are showing "Demo Started (30 Days Left)."
Last edited by jamcat on Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I reviewed it when it first came out for Macworld. https://www.macworld.com/article/233814 ... eview.html

It's very much improved with many of my gripes addressed, but I still have some interface complaints. I like it much better size-wise on my 24-inch 4K than my 5K iMac.

If you like Pro Tools, you'll probably appreciate it. Alas, you can't define your own key commands, and it uses PT's. Kind of revelatory that...

The number one unique feature in my book is that your project is always saved (though there were some complaints about this not working properly in the beginning) with infinite undo and redo over all sessions. I.e., you can step back all the way to the beginning of a project without having to load backups, etc.

I have a number of reasons for not using it, but number one is the same as one of the reasons I quit Logic. It will arm and write over selected tracks if you didn't arm any tracks yourself. It too a long time to track down the overwritten files the first time this happened to me. If you're going to automatically record, create new tracks for goodness sakes.

It kind of reminds of Studio One v2 a bit (my favorite UI for S1). I like the way the piano roll works, definitely very protools there, not sure if it would be a good thing for hardcore editing but nice idea nonetheless. Shaper is actually pretty nice, it has some nice sounds in it and it loads patches really fast almost workstation level fast. There are a thing or three some other DAWs could learn from Luna. The way the browser works imo is pretty slick (at least compared to Logic and S1). Realtime swing settings (Bitwig looking at you).

It is pretty crash-y on my system, but it's pretty cool that it opens my last session exactly as I left it without me saving once. I'm not sure how sends work, they seem to want to go out to my outs on my interface.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro // Ableton // Reason // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

I'm actually quite a bit less impressed with LUNA than I thought I would be. The mixer layout is a bit confusing, and the lack of VST3 support it a real bummer. I'm not quite sure what the summing plugins are doing, but they don't seem to have any crosstalk interaction like Studio One's MixFX have. I definitely couldn't and wouldn't ditch Studio One for LUNA.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”