bought a macbook pro with Sonoma and most plugs dont run

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Got a second hand macbook pro m1 from 2020 and it came with a fresh install of Sonoma macos 14.1. Lot's of plugins are not working.
My question is the following, if i downgrade to Big Sur or Monterey will i increase compability with old plugs? or are all OSs since Big Sur equally incompatible with old plugs?
Last edited by hcv242 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vintage Drum Machine Kits for the Roland TR8-S & MC-707 https://rhythmelectronics.bandcamp.com

you could do a clean install of whatever the laptop shipped with from apple. Ventura has been working fine for me btw. Monterey was fine too.

oh.. "old plug ins" meaning 32bit plug ins? or what?

I'm still running Big Sur and the first time I encountered anything at all that required a more recent version was when I tried to update Adobe Premiere last week and they told me I needed a newer OS. Since you're doing it from scratch, I would suggest Monterey. I have not seen a single plugin or audio tool that made such a requirement, but I know it's only a matter of time.

dayjob wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:02 am you could do a clean install of whatever the laptop shipped with from apple. Ventura has been working fine for me btw. Monterey was fine too.

no. old plugs like 64 bit diversion by dmitry sches or phazor by adam szabo.

can anyone confirm that these plugs work on an m1 OS prior to sonoma ?
Vintage Drum Machine Kits for the Roland TR8-S & MC-707 https://rhythmelectronics.bandcamp.com

hcv242 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:54 am
dayjob wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:02 am you could do a clean install of whatever the laptop shipped with from apple. Ventura has been working fine for me btw. Monterey was fine too.

Have you checked the list for apple silicon compatibility? Beyond that I’d email the developer or check their sites for details.

viewtopic.php?t=556728

https://asaudio.tech/

2020 is a year in which MBPs were made with both Intel and M1/Silicon, so I wonder what exact model you have and thus whether the CPU could be the cause.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:21 am 2020 is a year in which MBPs were made with both Intel and M1/Silicon, so I wonder what exact model you have and thus whether the CPU could be the cause.
m1 chip. forgot to add that.

After some hours of testing i can say that sonoma is not ready for daw usage.
ableton live 11 sometimes drags and takes 15 seconds to close a project with one vst synth.
when i try to install arturia spark i get an error at the end of the install process. my gf installed it without problems on the same laptop running monterey.
google chrome graphics are not smooth when maximizing a window.

i am downgrading as soon as i can.

Yes. My advice would be Monterey. That is where I'm staying, for now. Ventura is known to be 'flaky.'
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I find Ventura working very well (M2) with all my plugins and Ableton Live 11.
Even the Air Tech old not-updated stuff works with Rosetta. The ONLY plugin that doesn't work is loom 1, because you need loom 2 (which sells for 10$ now so no big deal). Everything else works and "almost" never crashes.
I'm gonna stick to Ventura until all the plugins that I have will be compatible with Sonoma, which may take some time.
What you could do if you are desperate and you don't wanna downgrade is to get a nice external SSD (i.e. the fastest SanDisk 1 tb at least) and install a Ventura OSX on that SSD. But I'd recommend to downgrade and live happily for a few months :)

Mmm. Got Sonoma and I have absolutely zero issue on my 100 plugins...

hcv242 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:54 am

For plugins that haven't been updated, you can try opening up your DAW in Rosetta mode - you do this by opening up the info box for the app. It will have to rescan all your plugins though so I've used Live 11 Beta in Rosetta for the few plugins that won't work in Apple Silicon and aren't going to be updated, and kept the proper version for the 100s of plugins that do work in AS.

Double Tap wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:19 pm
For plugins that haven't been updated, you can try opening up your DAW in Rosetta mode - you do this by opening up the info box for the app. It will have to rescan all your plugins though so I've used Live 11 Beta in Rosetta for the few plugins that won't work in Apple Silicon and aren't going to be updated, and kept the proper version for the 100s of plugins that do work in AS.
Why have you kept a beta?

I have realized what you say about the info box on ableton live.app . it is very sad that it's all or nothing. you run ableton live in rosetta mode and every plugin will run in rosetta mode, even the ones that are silicon ready. at first i thought the rosetta mode worked per plugin. it does not. it works globally. in bitwig it works per plugin, that confused me.

hcv242 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:24 pm
Double Tap wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:19 pm
Why have you kept a beta?

I have realized what you say about the info box on ableton live.app . it is very sad that it's all or nothing. you run ableton live in rosetta mode and every plugin will run in rosetta mode, even the ones that are silicon ready. at first i thought the rosetta mode worked per plugin. it does not. it works globally. in bitwig it works per plugin, that confused me.
The beta is constantly being updated with stuff they are about to put in the official release. The latest beta version was about three weeks ago.

Yeah the Rosetta thing confused me as well - didn't realise you could do that with Bitwig though. I'm kind of surprised that you can tbh.

I have an M1 Pro MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) with up-to-date Sonoma 14.0.

All of my plugins are working on it. Any plugins that don't work on Sonoma almost certainly don't work on any Apple Silicon, period. I culled any that were abandonware back when I got this MacBook, and I have not had a single plugin that I kept stop working on me with any subsequent MacOS update. It originally had Monterey, I believe.

Also, you don't need to open your DAW in Rosetta to use Intel plugins, as long as your DAW supports Audio Units, and you have the AU versions installed. They will be translated by Rosetta2 and open in your native Apple Silicon DAW via MacOS's AUHostingCompatibilityService.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Jac459 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:18 pm Mmm. Got Sonoma and I have absolutely zero issue on my 100 plugins...
Me too.
Are you running native or rosetta mode? If native do you have the native versions of the plugins?
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”