Modalics new drum plugin MINDst

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://youtu.be/1ZMoxf2K_ts?si=5ttSu8YmxIpoxMya

I think it is time for a good drum plugin eventually
Last edited by DCrown on Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

But Christ! That interface (and colour) is hard on the eyeballs...
Sounds like a decent plugin tho' to be fair.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:03 pm But Christ! That interface (and colour) is hard on the eyeballs...
Maybe the guys are Prince fans, it's purple and the demo is pretty funky.
In the 80s this plugin would have been a top seller.

DCrown wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:30 am
Robmobius wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:03 pm But Christ! That interface (and colour) is hard on the eyeballs...
Maybe the guys are Prince fans, it's purple and the demo is pretty funky.
In the 80s this plugin would have been a top seller.
:lol: Very true!
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I mean... I'm a prince fan but can't say that's the reason I designed it that way XD
Maybe subconsciously I was channeling the purple one...

OrLubianiker wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:50 am I mean... I'm a prince fan but can't say that's the reason I designed it that way XD
Prince liked/often played Yamaha drums (and LINN haha), I dig Sunset Sound Studio channel on YouTube, you get a lot of information about Prince there from studio owner and staff , engineers Dr. Susan Rogers and Peggy Mac , musicians.

I think it's cool you didn't use some samples of a usual known standard drum set/kit here.
At least the selection of cymbals, high hats, toms etc seem to be different or special at first "glance" .

What do you think about the cymbals of your plugin? Cymbals of most plugins are a weakness. (Didn't had the time to demo it yet!)

How much is the size in GB of your plugin/samples?

Will there be more drum kits added?
I am not sure what kind of genres this drum kit could cover. I mean there are also genres like jazz, latin, pop...

DCrown wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:50 am
OrLubianiker wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:50 am I mean... I'm a prince fan but can't say that's the reason I designed it that way XD
Prince liked/often played Yamaha drums (and LINN haha), I dig Sunset Sound Studio channel on YouTube, you get a lot of information about Prince there from studio owner and staff , engineers Dr. Susan Rogers and Peggy Mac , musicians.

I think it's cool you didn't use some samples of a usual known standard drum set/kit here.
At least the selection of cymbals, high hats, toms etc seem to be different or special at first "glance" .

What do you think about the cymbals of your plugin? Cymbals of most plugins are a weakness. (Didn't had the time to demo it yet!)

How much is the size in GB of your plugin/samples?

Will there be more drum kits added?
I am not sure what kind of genres this drum kit could cover. I mean there are also genres like jazz, latin, pop...
Hey!

I'll definitely check out that Youtube channel, thanks for the tip!

This kit was selected because it's remarkably versatile, we actually have known this kit for years and produced A LOT of music with it for the past decade.
It's a custom order that Doron (the drummer we sampled) made from DW. His style is interesting because he's a highly knowledgable drum guru that is deep into jazz/fusion & latin but also has pro session sensibilities and played major pop gigs, TV etc... So you can hear him tracking just about everything with this kit. We have demos up on our soundcloud that demonstrates how it performs in all these genres:
www.soundcloud.com/modalics

The cymbals are Doron's custom series:
https://www.bosphoruscymbals.com/produc ... at-series/
He worked on them for a while with Bosphorus, they are very open sounding and crisp but with a sort of smooth sustain which is something we love. They compliment the kit in the way that you can bash them on a metal track or gently tap them on an RnB tune and they seem to work well in both scenarios. Perhaps if you're looking for a huge 20" old school crash sound you won't find it here...but otherwise it should cover most genres pretty well.

Re. sizes:
16 Bit MLAC - 5 GB Download, extracts to 10.4 GB.
24 Bit MLAC - 20.6 GB Download, extracts to 28.4 GB.

We have plans to add drum kits and even individual drums in the near future so you can select which MINDst you want to load and customize it, due to our very intense sampling process and depth of the sample base we decided to start with this kit for the reasons I mentioned above.
But we have every intention to expand on it soon.

is there a manual to download? i have many questions and the site has almost no actual info about the plugin, just lots of marketing copy, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence...

Will upcoming additional drums and kits be paid add-ons or part of a free update?

I own and love Beat Scholar (and thanks for the free EON license!) so please take this as an honest question and not a dig on your products...

BFD3 regularly goes on sale for $49, Steven Slate Drums and MODO Drum for $99. What does MINDst offer that those other products don't?

I was wondering when listening to the demos whether it was played with plugin or real drums regarding the sound and realistic vibe, never heard a that realistic drum sound, but maybe it's because the way the drummers play the drums, they played it with sticks. I am not sure whether it could sound that way when you would play it with fingers on a keyboard or pads!?
Or did you record real drums played on real drums?

There is no trial version, is there?

funky lime wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:26 pm is there a manual to download? i have many questions and the site has almost no actual info about the plugin, just lots of marketing copy, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence...
Sure, you can find the manual here:
https://downloads.modalics.com/MINDst-D ... Manual.pdf
It will be updated along with hotfixes/changes we make.

What is it you want to know? I'm the co-founder of Modalics and I'd be happy to answer anything.

robelanator wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:49 pm Will upcoming additional drums and kits be paid add-ons or part of a free update?

I own and love Beat Scholar (and thanks for the free EON license!) so please take this as an honest question and not a dig on your products...

BFD3 regularly goes on sale for $49, Steven Slate Drums and MODO Drum for $99. What does MINDst offer that those other products don't?
Additional kit pieces or sets would most likely be a paid add-on, we're exploring possiblities for making it an easy purchase if you already own MINDst. But as with EON and Beat Scholar, we will be adding content/presets/midi grooves and engine features for free.
Happy to hear you're enjoying Beat Scholar and EON :)

Re. your question about BFD/Slate/MODO etc... I would honestly say that mostly 2 things make up the difference between MINDst and other drum vsts -
1. The sheer size and detail in our sample base (±50 Gb uncompressed WAV )
It might only seem like "Just 1 kit" but there's really nothing quite like it in terms of versatility and variety of timbre in every dynamic range.
2. Our expertise in creating smart playback algorithms that are tailor made for the sample base. A methodology we developed when making Bass Fingers and Bass Slapper in Waves Audio.
We're basically making a lot of decesions "under the hood" to make sure the kit resonates very musically and contextually regardless of programming or UI choices. For instance the hi hat triggers an entirely different sample for the pedal "chick" sound according to time passed from the hi hat being opened.. cool stuff like that is abundant in MINDst.

I might not be objective but I would also suggest that our learning curve - as in what is required to learn in order to make convincing drum parts, is almost non existent as opposed to some other products out there.

D Crown - No trial currently available, sorry about that.

If you have any other questions or suggestions feel free! I'm here for it

I will have to tell you my Prince story then.

I LOVE Beat Scholar. I have spent a couple hours trying to convince drummer friends to test this with their MIDI kits because I love the sound but cannot decide if the piano roll would be efficient so I'll just have to buy it lol. I have an erae touch, push comes to shove I'll play the drums like that guy in the dream theater cover. Perhaps need to learn to play drums. Again, I LOVE Best Scholar. I watched all the videos trying to understand in non-drummer terms whether it will allow me to do all of the uneven meter, tuples and such I so love.

Maybe I'll just use nestup for my nested tuples like usual:

https://nestup.cutelab.nyc/

OrLubianiker wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:59 pm
funky lime wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:26 pm is there a manual to download? i have many questions and the site has almost no actual info about the plugin, just lots of marketing copy, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence...
Sure, you can find the manual here:
https://downloads.modalics.com/MINDst-D ... Manual.pdf
It will be updated along with hotfixes/changes we make.

What is it you want to know? I'm the co-founder of Modalics and I'd be happy to answer anything.
Thanks, the manual actually answers most of my questions (some of them not even directly in the text, but from looking at the screenshots—actually some nice design there!).

Mostly wondering about an articulation list for the kit pieces. For instance, are there separate bell/tip/edge articulations for each of the cymbals? Are the hi-hats just played with tips or are there shank articulations too? Are there rim clicks/rimshots for the toms? Just an overall articulation list for each kit piece would be helpful. Thanks!
Last edited by funky lime on Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runagate wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:02 pm
I will have to tell you my Prince story then.

I LOVE Beat Scholar. I have spent a couple hours trying to convince drummer friends to test this with their MIDI kits because I love the sound but cannot decide if the piano roll would be efficient so I'll just have to buy it lol. I have an erae touch, push comes to shove I'll play the drums like that guy in the dream theater cover. Perhaps need to learn to play drums. Again, I LOVE Best Scholar. I watched all the videos trying to understand in non-drummer terms whether it will allow me to do all of the uneven meter, tuples and such I so love.

Maybe I'll just use nestup for my nested tuples like usual:

https://nestup.cutelab.nyc/
When I first saw Beat Scholar, it immediately reminded me of this VCV module from a couple years ago, that I found during my year-long love affair with quintuplet swing. It's a very similar main concept regarding beat subdivisions. Alas, it's only for VCV, and a bit more probability-oriented in design.

https://library.vcvrack.com/Sha-Bang-Mo ... ochSeqGrid
StochSeqGrid (1).png
(screenshot doesn't really do it justice, it's pretty powerful if you like weird tuplets and "drunk" rhythms... though tbh that stuff just feels so much better played live)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”