Quiet Music Production PC for Bitwig

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wanna build this system to use for Bitwig with many VST's:

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600KF (€283)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 (€85)
Motherboard: MSI B760 GAMING PLUS WIFI (€156)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 (€105)
Storage: Lexar NM790 1TB (€65)
Video Card: Gigabyte GV-N960G1 GTX 960 4GB = GPU from current PC (€0)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Silent (€79)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 550W (€88)
Total: €856

Currently I have a i7-4790K that I max out pretty easily, so this would be a major performance upgrade.

I've read a lot of reviews about all the parts, but I have some questions/doubts about it:

I want the system to be very quiet, because I mix most of the time on open headphones.
So I will power limit and undervolt the CPU, is this motherboard okay for that?

Are there parts to avoid noise wise (static noise, coil whine, fans, etc.)
or other parts to keep/make it more quiet?

I also see a lot of people on ProAudio websites and forums advice for the "ASUS TUF Gaming Z690",
is there a particular reason audio wise to buy this one?
Or for an ASUS motherboard?
Or to buy a board with a Z690 (orZ790) chipset instead of B760?

What about DDR4 vs DDR5 for music production, is DDR5 worth the cost?

Does anybody have some tips/advice on this build?

Many thanks in advance!

Go with a 'K' CPU, not 'KF'. If your video card die, will still have video from the CPU until you find an alternative.
Select a graphics card with two outputs, if in case you want to connect two monitors in future.
Make sure the mother board you choose has sufficient connection ports.
Also would recommend using a higher PSU in case you wanted to upgrade the CPU at a later stage.
Regards.
maanga

Why does it matter that it's quiet? Are you unable to tell the difference between fan noise and the music you are trying to make? Is your studio completely soundproof? Honestly, I think people way overemphasise the need for a quiet place to produce music. Right now I have the wind whistling through my rigging, the chop banging against the stern of my boat, a tinny going past with a very noisy outboard motor, two teenagers getting way too excited over hooking a fish they didn't actually land and various birds - kookaburras, cockatoos and seagulls - making a racket all over the bay. Inside the boat I can hear it creaking as the wind blows us around and I have a fan going full-belt into my face because it's so f**king humid. Later in the day there will be a thunderstorm but none of that gets in the way of me making music. Why would it?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

If bigwig runs well on a Mac, consider getting a Mac mini m2 and save yourself the trouble of building a quiet PC. It will do everything you want and more, compared to this build. If silence is an issue for you, the Macs are an excellent turnkey solution.

Bitwig runs well on a Mac mini m1, and it makes basically zero noise, so unless you need some windows specific plugins it’s probably one of the best options. Unless you make your music on a boat

HvdS wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:00 pm I wanna build this system to use for Bitwig with many VST's:

What about DDR4 vs DDR5 for music production, is DDR5 worth the cost?
For KONTAKT/sampling VSTs, yes
For DSP VSTs, no.
Does anybody have some tips/advice on this build?
As I told you in another forum, you should use the Thermalright contact frame...
https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments ... _actually/
https://www.overclock.net/threads/i-ins ... d.1799520/

With semi-passive PSUs the higher wattage models can keep the fans off at higher loads.

Do not forget to update the motherboard BIOS and do some the tweaks. :)
viewtopic.php?p=8780669#p8780669

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”