Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 or OTHER?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I need a new midi controller. My Novation 61 SL mK II is about done. I'm looking at the mKII Komplete Kontrol as a replacement, to use with Logic.
Are there any reasons to avoid? There's a mK III, but it is significantly more expensive.
I like a Fatar keybed with aftertouch. This seemed the best alternative, at least price-wise.

Thankee kindly. :tu:
Last edited by Bombadil on Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I think it's a good choice. IF you want to use the Komplete Kontrol eco system, that is. As a general MIDI controller, there might be better options (with more knobs and faders, if that's your thing). The keybed should be great though.

I recommend the mk3 big time!! As its future proof for a really long time its a huge upgrade from the mk2

Quite a bit more expensive though.

The software side will not be updated for the MK2 anymore - you'll be stuck with the Kontrol software 2.9, with no more updates and improvements. So this is kind of an 'abandoned' product now. The MK3 is the much better choice (and yes, it's much more expensive). It has a really nice big screen and a fantastic build quality. The software side could be improved, but the hardware is amazing IMHO. There are a lot of complaints about the lack of features in the Kontrol 3 software, but there have been quite a few updates already, and despite all the NI bashing, they seem to be responsive, and the future plans for the hardware (as discussed in their forum) are pretty cool.

Yeah. I'm getting the mK II for 479€, new. I've seen it for as much as 100€ more. The mK III is 769€ or something like that. I don't really intend to integrate with Native Instruments beyond what they're giving me in 'Select.'
I gave up on Novation's mapping system and used that as a basic midi keyboard.
'NTK' stuff refers to Kontakt sample/synth stuff?
And I read U-He stuff is NTK, as well?
Again, thanks. I don't know why this is still around, new at Thomann. Seems about 5-6 years old, and the latest model is out.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

tq wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:26 pm The software side will not be updated for the MK2 anymore - you'll be stuck with the Kontrol software 2.9, with no more updates and improvements. So this is kind of an 'abandoned' product now. The MK3 is the much better choice (and yes, it's much more expensive). It has a really nice big screen and a fantastic build quality. The software side could be improved, but the hardware is amazing IMHO. There are a lot of complaints about the lack of features in the Kontrol 3 software, but there have been quite a few updates already, and despite all the NI bashing, they seem to be responsive, and the future plans for the hardware (as discussed in their forum) are pretty cool.
Thanks. I'll have to see what that means in real terms for my needs. As mentioned above, my one experience combining a controller with its software was a nightmare, that I read many other people had experienced, as well.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:31 pm Yeah. I'm getting the mK II for 479€, new. I've seen it for as much as 100€ more.
Not enough of a discount. When NI drops a product, they drop it hard. It will be a 479€ paper weight in the not-so-distant future.

It will work as a basic midi controller, though?
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:57 pm It will work as a basic midi controller, though?
Yes but they will eventually stop providing drivers. My Maschine MK1 is a door stop while my much, much, MUCH older Novation Remote SL MK1 is still going strong (at least as a USB controller, dunno about Automap).

Drivers? On a Mac? Ok, thanks. Guess I'll cancel my order.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Dp bloody KvR dupe post warning actually causes more dupe posts than it prevents
Last edited by aMUSEd on Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

tq wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:26 pm The software side will not be updated for the MK2 anymore - you'll be stuck with the Kontrol software 2.9, with no more updates and improvements. So this is kind of an 'abandoned' product now.
This is not correct it is the older Mk1 that is EOL and frozen on 2.9, the Mk is still supported and works fine with the Komplete Kontrol software. MkIII is better in many ways but MkII is still a good keyboard.

Welp. I have 30 days to try and decide. I've had shitty midi keyboards, and they're a buzzkill. The Novation is good, software not so much. The joystick on it is fluttering, I can see it in Logic's 'midi in' making everything sound awful. It was taken apart to fix a dead note in 2016, but putting it back together resulted in the joystick issue. That, and a cat that likes to walk on the keyboard to get me to move off my computer chair. :oops:
-Martin Luther King Jr.

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:02 am This is not correct it is the older Mk1 that is EOL and frozen on 2.9, the Mk is still supported and works fine with the Komplete Kontrol software. MkIII is better in many ways but MkII is still a good keyboard.
This gentleman would like to have a word with you...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”