Strange Field Recording Anomaly

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A little while ago, some military jets flew fairly low over my house. I rarely get military air traffic over my house, and I wanted to record the sounds of some jets flying overhead. I rushed outside with my field recorder and placed it on top of the car, pointing straight up. I was hoping another jet might whiz by in the near future, and I'd get a nice sound effect out of the effort.

That's when I noticed something odd in my headphones. There was a low pitched hum in the background, and it was very noticeable. It sounded like 60Hz power line hum, but I wasn't near any transformers or power lines, and my field recorder is battery powered. I couldn't think of any reason why I'd be picking up a constant hum outdoors.

If I pointed the recorder horizontally, the hum would be reduced. It didn't matter which compass direction I pointed it in, it was about the same reduced volume. If I point the recorder straight up, it was loud again. So, I tried pointing the recorder straight down, toward the roof of my car. The hum was nearly eliminated. At this point, it doesn't seem to be electrical interference. The recorder seems to be picking up some sort of ambient acoustic sound. I tried pointing the recorder straight up again, and this time I placed my hand close in front of the microphone. The volume of the hum was significantly diminished by my hand being in front of the microphone.

The recorder is a Zoom H6 and it has a Mid-Side microphone mounted on it. It was behaving exactly as if there were "something" straight above me, making a deep humming sound. However, there was nothing above me but clear blue sky.

What's going on? :shrug:
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

I used to be Bunnyboy many many years ago

aliens?

I would not rule out simple electro-magnetic interference. Any coil or wire loop can/will pick up 60Hz power hum.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

try your ether in the same area?

BertKoor wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:34 pm I would not rule out simple electro-magnetic interference. Any coil or wire loop can/will pick up 60Hz power hum.
My guess too. I had to go back and re-read a few times to pick out details on what mic was used. Would suggest to try with a different mic or 3 (hyper-cardioid, stereo, omni) XLR-connected to the Zoom, and my supposition is that it will turn out to be something about the internal mics gathering interference at 60Hz.

Gas?

When it rains here, I can hear the low hum of gazillions of cane toads spread across this side of the island, pretty interesting really... Took me a while to figure out what it was. They don't actually
hum, there's just so many of them singing at approx. the same freq...

pekbro wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:57 pm When it rains here, I can hear the low hum of gazillions of cane toads spread across this side of the island, pretty interesting really... Took me a while to figure out what it was. They don't actually
I am officially jealous. That would be enough to inspire an album, surely someone has done one? I would like to add that to my sleep music list.

ghettosynth wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:30 pm
pekbro wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:57 pm When it rains here, I can hear the low hum of gazillions of cane toads spread across this side of the island, pretty interesting really... Took me a while to figure out what it was. They don't actually
I am officially jealous. That would be enough to inspire an album, surely someone has done one? I would like to add that to my sleep music list.
Yeah I dunno, it's really quite difficult to pick the sound out. I doubt too many have realized
what it is or that it's even there, beyond a few scientists or wildlife workers. :shrug:

pekbro wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:20 am
Yeah I dunno, it's really quite difficult to pick the sound out. I doubt too many have realized
what it is or that it's even there, beyond a few scientists or wildlife workers. :shrug:
Challenge accepted!

ghettosynth wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:19 am
pekbro wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:20 am
Challenge accepted!
Heh, next time I will try to record it. I seem to have been out of batteries for my DR 100 Mk 3
last time I thought about it, or it wasn't charged. :shrug:

Do you wear a pacemaker or have any robotic parts?

On a clear night, walk around the area with the microphone pointing upwards. When you hear the 60 cycle hum again, you have located the aircraft. Extend your arms with your palms facing upwards in a peaceful, non-threatening gesture. Calmly but firmly repeat the phrase, "Klaatu barada nikto." A massive gray saucer-shaped aircraft will silently appear above your head. A door will open and you will be bathed in a powerful beam of white light. You will be lifted floating gently upwards into the aircraft. Get ready for the adventure of a lifetime!

Something like those events was reported in Huntington, WV, which isn't terribly far away from me, but it's far enough away that I never heard the noise that folks in Huntington could hear. I think that was eventually traced to some sort of factory or industrial facility, and the sound went away soon after that.
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”