Atoms - Baby Audio - Physical Modeling Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Atoms

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi.

Plugin is fantastic sounding, easy and intuitive to use.
But there is a disappoining bug.

Automation not working while interface is open.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Write an MIDI-event for a minute length, or loop more short event.
2. Write an automation for few knobs, for example "Chaos", "Force", "Drive".
No matter with MIDI-Controller or mouse.
3. Leave plugin user interface open.
4. Press play.

Actual behaviour:
Automation works correctly only for 5-20 seconds.
After it knobs stops to rotate one by one and relevant automations disapears.

So while I writing automation for next, previous automated knob often stops playing.

Bug only present while interface is open.
Automation plays correctrly while interface is closed.

There is no same bug on any other plugin on my laptops.

Bug on video:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ok45iw3r ... ms-Bug.mp4 (https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ok45iw3rmp39xozs53lx2/Atoms-Bug.mp4)

Audio fragment from video:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/170655lj ... -Riff.flac (https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/170655ljt2phr190isyyx/Atoms-Bug-Riff.flac)

Plugin: Atoms v1.0 Trial

Laptop 1:
Windows 11
Intel Core i7-10750H
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti
16gb RAM
Studio One 6.5.2

Laptop 2:
Windows 10
Intel Core i7-4700HQ
Nvidia GeForce GT 750M / Intel HD Graphics 4600 (bug is present on both cards)
16gb RAM
Studio One 6.5.2

Snow and Electricity wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:22 pm Hi.

Plugin is fantastic sounding, easy and intuitive to use.
But there is a disappoining bug.
They are already working on a 1.1 update. I emailed them about AU not working in DP11, and they got back to me that they're on it. Hopefully you emailed them and brought this to their attention too.

Hopefully you emailed them and brought this to their attention too.
Just did this.

paramita123 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:26 am Feedback for Baby Audio:
- the first video is too focused on Motion Graphics. We buy plugins for sound capabilities, more sound examples would be better than old stock graphics.
Speak for yourself, the first video is what got me interested. If I just wanted a preset runthrough, I'd have looked for the preset runthrough video. I was watching the video thinking how good a marketing tool it was and how well executed.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:44 pm
- the first video is too focused on Motion Graphics. We buy plugins for sound capabilities, more sound examples would be better than old stock graphics.
Speak for yourself, the first video is what got me interested. If I just wanted a preset runthrough, I'd have looked for the preset runthrough video. I was watching the video thinking how good a marketing tool it was and how well executed.
I did watch the video again.
More than half is irrelevant motion graphics and just has a few keywords appearing. Therefore shallow and unconvincing.
I've worked in global media marketing for over a decade btw and no this isn't a particularly striking campaign. I gave some constructive feedback as I quite like their plugins overall.

I see some people really like the sounds, good, perhaps Baby Audio will cover development costs and keep moving. But I feel this is perhaps underdeveloped, definitely not in the big league in terms of features and likely to be discounted further within a few months.

I like the gui and the fact, that there is randomization. Normally, I am a big fan of synths that sound different. But this one is not for me. If I hit the random button then I have often the feeling, that I have to adjust too many things to make a useful sound out of it. This is mainly related to removing the reverb...

paramita123 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:07 amMore than half is irrelevant motion graphics and just has a few keywords appearing. Therefore shallow and unconvincing.
I've worked in global media marketing for over a decade btw and no this isn't a particularly striking campaign. I gave some constructive feedback as I quite like their plugins overall.
It's not irrelevant, though, is it, because it's got you and I talking about it. That is precisely what it was made to do. If you had actually worked in any kind of marketing job, you'd understand that.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:56 am
paramita123 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:07 amMore than half is irrelevant motion graphics and just has a few keywords appearing. Therefore shallow and unconvincing.
It's not irrelevant, though, is it, because it's got you and I talking about it. That is precisely what it was made to do. If you had actually worked in any kind of marketing job, you'd understand that.
Did you really have to finish with that type of jibe?
What good can uninformed derogative comments do?
So no, I don't wanna engage in this bickering, and no, it didn't get us to talk about music production, so no it's not really working towards advancing the conundrum.

Back to the topic, I offered what I believe is a constructive opinion on the way to present a product. That you don't like my opinion you're entitled to. We don't have the same tastes. But please remain a cool dude, which I'm sure you are.

As for Baby Audio, again I generally like their products. Not so much this one, but I am truthfully genuinely happy for all those who like it. And if my comments can help them sell more then even better.
Now have a nice day Mr Bones, please give us a smile and a handshake :party:

BONES wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:44 pm
Yeah. I don’t get the criticism.

If anything it’s a near perfect video manual.

I knew everything about the synth before I got it.

I think people underestimate the skill involved in being that succinct.

The videos were fine. Gave me everything I need to know about it, which is that it's definitely not for me, not even worth a demo. Probably suits other people fine and hope they buy it. No idea what kind of godawful music they'll be making with it, but horses for courses and all...

This synth can get extremely peaky, and the dynamics are very uneven. Sudden unpredictable loud ear-splitting horrible shrieking noises. The lack of any compressors or multiband effects is galling. They should at least add a basic limiter.

For a physical modeling VI based on a bowed mass-spring network that actually has MPE support for the full 48 semitone pitchbend range, Physical Audio's Derailer is on sale for the same price as Atoms until February 18th. In addition to bowed excitation Derailer also has other forms of excitation including plucking, striking, and sawtooth, and unlike Atoms it actually includes a delay... and allows you to edit the physical model.

https://physicalaudio.co.uk/products/derailer/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9CwdLEUAIs

The GUI on Outersect modeler is a bit crunchy but the flexibility is better, much better control. I'M going to Outersect Modeler and Plasmonic, with Derailer Modus next. This seems "gimmicky." and so fae the sound hit and miss. If they work on it some more could get inerteresting. Great to see more PM.

The bullyboy is getting back in form with thr pointed insults, it was getting into more interesting territory for a short stretch.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

CrystalWizard wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:02 pm The GUI on Outersect modeler is a bit crunchy but the flexibility is better, much better control. I'M going to Outersect Modeler and Plasmonic, with Derailer Modus next. This seems "gimmicky." and so fae the sound hit and miss. If they work on it some more could get inerteresting. Great to see more PM.

The bullyboy is getting back in form with thr pointed insults, it was getting into more interesting territory for a short stretch.
I have Modus and Plasmonic. Both great but Plasmonic's UI is clunky as hell and Modus is pretty arcane and kind of impenetrable.

Atom's UI is simplicity itself and I find that I get far more usable results from it far quicker than either of the other two.

kraster wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:23 pm
CrystalWizard wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:02 pm The GUI on Outersect modeler is a bit crunchy but the flexibility is better, much better control. I'M going to Outersect Modeler and Plasmonic, with Derailer Modus next. This seems "gimmicky." and so fae the sound hit and miss. If they work on it some more could get inerteresting. Great to see more PM.

I have Modus and Plasmonic. Both great but Plasmonic's UI is clunky as hell and Modus is pretty arcane and kind of impenetrable.

Atom's UI is simplicity itself and I find that I get far more usable results from it far quicker than either of the other two.
I fully agree regarding the GUI. But the uniform sounds it produces are far from exciting. I haven't seen something like this in a long time. No matter how drastically you change parameters, each sound contains something identical to the previous one.

enCiphered wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:39 pm
kraster wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:23 pm

I fully agree regarding the GUI. But the uniform sounds it produces are far from exciting. I haven't seen something like this in a long time. No matter how drastically you change parameters, each sound contains something identical to the previous one.
That's what I like about it though.

It has a consistency and predictability to the sound.

I can't argue about subjective opinions about the sound. I really like it. It's effortlessly wonky and sits well with a lot of the music I deal with and is easy to use.

Return to “Instruments”