Plugin modulation output? (Blue Cat Patchwork)

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,

I have a kinda technical question, which is why i'm posting it here and not in one of the other forums.

I'm trying to hack together some envelope modulation that i can send to several different synth at the same time in Blue Cat's Patchwork.

It's a bit hard to explain, so i made a quick video (see below) outlining the problem.

So my question is: is there any way around this and / or is there any synth that will output the "knob" modulation?

Maybe there is some VSTi that's specially made for this sort of thing? The only thing i know about is CableGuys MIDI Shaper, but it's too old and doesn't have visual feedback and anyway doesn't seem to work in Patchwork.

Thanks in advance!

https://youtu.be/0g_5uyxr_fA?si=-pXMhfhnDGA7QgPy

That's because the synth does not call beginEdit and endEdit before changing values when doing the envelope - O guess they do this internally to avoid that automatio is recorded - I am not even sure if the parameter exposed to the host is actually changing. PatchWork will only trigger the macros when the parameter is being edited (it would otherwise not work properly in most cases).

Another way to do this is to use an external plug-in with MIDI or automation output to trigger both synth parameters.

OK!

I think you would really unlock the power of Patchwork if you included some envelope and LFO plugins that could modulate in the way i show in the video. So that they are triggerable from the MIDI coming into Patchwork and aren't relying on something external.

I mean like this:

elements.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EDIT: it seems that Melda's MCCGenerator can do exactly what i'm trying to do!

I think Cableguys' MIDI shaper does that too.

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:20 am I think Cableguys' MIDI shaper does that too.
:tu: I tried it but couldn't get it to work. And the envelope / LFO doesn't provide any visual feedback, so i think Melda's solution is better and has more features anyway. Hopefully CableGuys include an improved MidiShaper in Shaperbox at some point.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”