TAL-Pha Released! Alpha Juno II Emulation from TAL-Software

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TAL-Pha

phreaque wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:59 pm
seangm wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:49 pm If we already bought your pack is there a way to get the additional presets? I bought it when you announced it.
Really appreciate the support :hug:
Can you find the email with the download link that sent during the purchase process?
If yes, simply click on download & it will gives you the new updated pack.

Please let me know how it goes.
Ok thanks, yes I have the original email. I'll try to download from there.

phreaque wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:35 pm That's the typical behavior of DCO's, their phases (along with the sub oscillator) reset & synced to a digital clock cycles (pulses).

Even in the case of the Juno-6/60/106 the sub phase is aligned & synced to the main DCO phase because both the DCO & the sub oscillator are sharing the same one clock.

With exception to JX series, their DCO's start at different phase values, I believe this is due to the implementation of the cross mod & sync between the two DCO's. Didn't check the diagrams carefully enough.
Not sure I agree with that. While (Roland) DCOs are digitally controlled analog oscillators, I don’t believe they retrigger their phase with every note-on. My expectation is that they are free running always-on, just like VCOs are.

Of course, the note-on reset behavior of the TAL-Pha doesn’t model the actual Juno anyway, since the Juno never had two oscillators- just one multi-waveform one (saw, pulse, sub), always phase locked.

MTorn wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:22 pm Not sure I agree with that. While (Roland) DCOs are digitally controlled analog oscillators, I don’t believe they retrigger their phase with every note-on.
In the case of 2 DCO's, their phases will be retriggered because they share the same one clock.

phreaque wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:31 pm
In the case of 2 DCO's, their phases will be retriggered because they share the same one clock.
If understand it right, all voices (both single or dual osc) share the same single high frequency clock. So while any detuned oscillators (if dual osc) will be at a static interval against one another, any note-on should not reset any oscillator phases.

It's especially weird as TAL-Pha phases on some notes, and on some notes it doesn't. Seems like the usual random phase stuff to me (which many soft synths do).

egbert101 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:59 pm I'm glad the reception for the Alpha Juno was so positive, as I'm increasingly loving the sound. Although I would like a modern take hardware version (which won't happen). But every increase in the interest in the Junos means a greater chance of a hardware clone.

https://youtu.be/s_oq9Ty8azE
I remember seeing that many years ago and being impressed. Tried to find it more recently but couldnt. So thanks for posting!
That guy should do a soundset for Pha!

And to think he managed this with only 1 envelope :lol:

Vortifex wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:13 pm That demo highlights something I don't like about the Tal-Pha, which is the phase retrigger between the two saws. You get that lasery attack which might be good for bass but I think sounds really naff in other contexts. Load up the default init, enable the other saw and add 12 cents of detune to hear it. Really wish it didn't do that.
Same here - I HATE it. Otherwise this synth is great.

hurricaneaudiolab wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:57 pm
Vortifex wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:13 pm That demo highlights something I don't like about the Tal-Pha, which is the phase retrigger between the two saws. You get that lasery attack which might be good for bass but I think sounds really naff in other contexts. Load up the default init, enable the other saw and add 12 cents of detune to hear it. Really wish it didn't do that.
I know the sound without even trying this and agree i hate it too.

But i bought this as an alpha juno emulation and thats how i'll be using it. So really not an issue for me personally

Just been A/Bing it with my AJ2, and I'd say it's 90-95% there, to the point of hardware tolerances between real instruments. On some the AJ was a bit fuller, and the resonance could be sweeter (an option to tweak it a la Repro might be nice) but at some point I was getting them mixed up, so that's a good blind test as I can think of.

I have to sell my studio, including my AJ2, to move home, and it's one of those synths I miss when I sell it. This will make it much easier to stomach. So, thanks Patrick, and when I have some money I will look to fill that Alpha Juno gap with this.

MTorn wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:22 pm I don’t believe they retrigger their phase with every note-on.
I checked a juno alpha video on YT and can confirm it's not reset.
Here the same note is played two times and the starting phase is different:
juno.png
Also note that on talalpha there is different behavior when RR is set on or off.

With RR off (default) the initial phasing goes away after some playing while with RR on the phasing is constant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Feature suggestion: The FX Lock should include the chorus. Like on the J-8.

MTorn wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:28 pm If understand it right, all voices (both single or dual osc) share the same single high frequency clock. So while any detuned oscillators (if dual osc) will be at a static interval against one another, any note-on should not reset any oscillator phases.
The interval is maintained exactly. There's no drift or fluctuation. Unless DCO 2 is being modulated by an LFO.

In these DCO synthesizers the clock is running all the time, regardless if note-on event is received or not.
When a note is pressed, the clock could by at high cycle or low cycle, this will define the initial "start phase point" of the DCO's, but regardless of that, both DCO phases will follow the clock cycle.

Notices in this example, I got dual DCO, both are sawtooth, 2nd DCO is fine tuned by 0.07.
Regardless of what key / note is pressed, the intervals are kept, but the DCO phases are locked to each other, even though the initial start point of the phase is varied based on key-on.
Dual DCO phases(1).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

discogsaddict wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:07 pm
hurricaneaudiolab wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:57 pm
I know the sound without even trying this and agree i hate it too.

But i bought this as an alpha juno emulation and thats how i'll be using it. So really not an issue for me personally
Maybe ask the developer for a phase-offset knob, or a free-running osc switch? I'd definitely like that.
A well-behaved signature.

phreaque wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:16 am
MTorn wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:28 pm If understand it right, all voices (both single or dual osc) share the same single high frequency clock. So while any detuned oscillators (if dual osc) will be at a static interval against one another, any note-on should not reset any oscillator phases.
The interval is maintained exactly. There's no drift or fluctuation. Unless DCO 2 is being modulated by an LFO.

In these DCO synthesizers the clock is running all the time, regardless if note-on event is received or not.
When a note is pressed, the clock could by at high cycle or low cycle, this will define the initial "start phase point" of the DCO's, but regardless of that, both DCO phases will follow the clock cycle.

Notices in this example, I got dual DCO, both are sawtooth, 2nd DCO is fine tuned by 0.07.
Regardless of what key / note is pressed, the intervals are kept, but the DCO phases are locked to each other, even though the initial start point of the phase is varied based on key-on.
Dual DCO phases(1).png
Hmm... I guess that works if the oscillators don't have the same waveform, but, if they do, you get phasing. Maybe the catch-22 of adding the sawtooth waveform to the second "oscillator". ;)

chk071 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:30 am Hmm... I guess that works if the oscillators don't have the same waveform, but, if they do, you get phasing.
When DCO2 is slightly detuned, the phasing occurs no matter what is the waveshape is.
FWIW, in my sketch above, both DCO's are set to sawtooth.

Return to “Instruments”