Software to batch remove silence . . .

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can any software batch process to remove silence from the MIDDLE of a sample? I have a great app that will remove from either or both ends, but not from the center. This would be useful as I have many loops that have a long nothingness in the middle.

Note: I'm on a Mac.

Thank you.

Audacity might do that. "Might" because I'm not familiar with it, but, it has macros, and there also seem to be macros which shorten, and possibly remove detected silence in the audio.

I think Twisted Wave is probably your best bet. It has a very good batching system.

Although cutting silence from the middle of a sample is kinda weird. :ud:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Yes, audacity can do it. It's at effects/special/truncate silence. Setting up macros for batch conversions is really easy with the manager too.

syntonica wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:19 am I think Twisted Wave is probably your best bet. It has a very good batching system.
Twisted Wave was my first thought as well.
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

I have TW but will not temove in center while in batch mode

tommyzai wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:10 pm I have TW but will not temove in center while in batch mode
But in normal mode you can? Then can't you create a macro w/keyboard shortcuts/mouse movements and automate that process?
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

tommyzai wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:57 pm Can any software batch process to remove silence from the MIDDLE of a sample? I have a great app that will remove from either or both ends, but not from the center. This would be useful as I have many loops that have a long nothingness in the middle.

Note: I'm on a Mac.

Thank you.
Reaper has two related actions for just that as a single process. I don t think you can batch file actions, but you would just load all the loops into Reaper , select them all and then run the action. Once done you can save them using the file batch system

I have over 200k in loops

I'm still unsure as to how this would work. Most silence detection works on a threshold amount and there's no way to precisely determine how much silence is actually removed, or necessarily where.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

in TW i can set for beginning and end. Many loops (at least my loops) have a big gap between phrases like the old libraries mentioned above. It w b great to set the batch processor to remove anything below -70dB that last more than 100ms......otherwise chunks of audio w b removed within the phrases....glitched

tommyzai wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:03 pm . It w b great to set the batch processor to remove anything below -70dB that last more than 100ms......otherwise chunks of audio w b removed within the phrases....glitched
Yeah, you can do that in Audacity;

truncate.jpg

You can also either set a time value to reduce the silence to, or alternatively reduce it by a percentage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Does Audacity do that in batch mode? Hundreds at a time?

tommyzai wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:32 pm Does Audacity do that in batch mode? Hundreds at a time?
You just create a macro for it. Add the preset you want, then a save command to specify file type etc, save the macro and then run, 'apply macro to files' and add the files you want.

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/macros.html

FYI, this functionality is built into StudioOne. It is not a batch process but pretty convenient.
StripSilence.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”