What do you consider to be a musician?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am wondering what your view is on what makes a musician? Is there some point where someone is definitively a musician; and is the line monetary? Do you hold yourself to a different standard of what a musician is than to a complete stranger? I'm just curious your opinion!

Anyone who creates or performs music is a musician. Even singers are musicians since the human voice is an instrument. There is no monetary line. If you're involved the act of composing, producing or performing music, you're a musician. I even believe audio/mix/mastering engineers to be musicians too even though it's not often considered or regarded as often because their art/science contributes greatly to how we perceive recorded music as well as live performances with anything amplified with electricity.

A musician imho is anyone that can make music. No gatekeeping needed for me.

Slightly different angle on the subject: my mother (parttime photographer) was having a discussion with my nephew (parttime pianist) what makes you a 'professional' in such arty professions. Having completed an education is enough? Being paid?

They came to the conclusion that it's not about the money or education, but the line can be drawn at being able to deliver up to good quality standards, even under difficult circumstances.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:59 pm A musician imho is anyone that can make music. No gatekeeping needed for me.

Slightly different angle on the subject: my mother (parttime photographer) was having a discussion with my nephew (parttime pianist) what makes you a 'professional' in such arty professions. Having completed an education is enough? Being paid?

They came to the conclusion that it's not about the money or education, but the line can be drawn at being able to deliver up to good quality standards, even under difficult circumstances.
In English, its not necessarily an either/or. There is a difference between 'professional' and 'professionalism' where the latter is more specifically related to 'good quality standards' as you say. 'Professional' gets that same meaning, although it still quite literally has the alternate 'being paid' meaning as well. Confusingly maybe, 'professional' comes as both noun and adjective whereas 'professionalism' I think is basically only a noun, but more betterly disambiguated.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

rayliam wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:38 pm Anyone who creates or performs music is a musician.
I totally agree.
rayliam wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:38 pm I even believe audio/mix/mastering engineers to be musicians too even though it's not often considered or regarded as often because their art/science contributes greatly to how we perceive recorded music as well as live performances with anything amplified with electricity.
That's a very interesting take that I've never really considered before tbh. Would you extend that to include the stage lighting crew? To clarify, I'm not asking to be argumentative, I'm just curious. It's pretty subjective, after all, right?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

I was one back in the 70s & 80's... Things are different now with many dumbed-down genres & simplistic lullabies with way too much FX, looping & loud drums which I guess is the instrument anyone can play. Many buy ableton or cubase thinking that they can now identify as a musician if they can pluck out a few octave hits & apply FX with automation... Doesn't cut it. There is a flow to it & starting out at 90 MPH in a tune at high volume leaves you nowhere to go. Music must be 'musical' thus the essence of the 'Muse' this can be in a positive or negative way but it must be in there... Selling it has nothing to do with it nowadays as anyone can throw together a construction kit then sell it online... If one has to use construction kits or buy MIDI chord packs then probably a different hobby would be more appropriate...

Most desktop dabblers nowadays can't even pick out a simple however popular tune & figure out the progression without resorting to some plugin or standalone which are commonly inaccurate...

Best way to test your music for actual 'Muse' is to take all FX OFF... ALL of them then listen or have someone else listen & see if it retains 'Muse' in standalone fashion. If it does then you are good to go but if it sounds real playskool then go back, do it right... Forget all FX until you do it right. If this cannot be achieved then throw everything on the shelf & listen to what others are doing that is actually good (getting harder to find)...

I am wondering what your view is on what makes a musician?
When a man and a woman love each other very much ...
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Hmm... I have a thought here that saying "anyone that does music is a musician" is relatively like saying "anyone that drinks alcohol is an alcoholic"...

Like any other art form, there are degrees of knowledge and skill one can attain.

With the aid of today's technology I'd say this about "making music":

Objectively, simply dragging 'n' dropping a "Cmin_piano_90BPM.mid" into a DAW does not make one a musician.
Check out my OSC (One Synth Challenge) entries and more Logic Pro sequences on SoundCloud and YouTube.

Gavincoolguy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:57 am I am wondering what your view is on what makes a musician?
Anyone capable of creating original compositions and/or performances.
Gavincoolguy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:57 am Is there some point where someone is definitively a musician; and is the line monetary?
Yes, no.
Gavincoolguy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:57 am Do you hold yourself to a different standard of what a musician is than to a complete stranger?
Yes.

It seems as a post sequencer terminology issue.

It's really not worth worrying about too much. For myself a musician is a performer of an instrument, including singing and drums, live. But there is no need getting your underwear in a twist about such terminology.

'makes music' is a fine term for everyone else. Someone may make something amazing in a sequencer that sells millions of copies but could never play it live or even perform the parts.

Playing 2 or 3 chords nicely through a track and you are a musician. That person may not be able to compose a 5 min track on their own. Different creative abilities, part of the same area of interest.

It's almost academic really, average person on the street would never quibble musician or music maker but someone involved in music may fret (pardon the pun) about such things.

It's all a little judgemental and results based on personal goals are arguably what matters.

Someone who hangs around with drummers.

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:06 am Someone who hangs around with drummers.
Never. Those are Groupies.

Nowadays those are called Followers / Subscribers?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

a musician is a modular guy who wear floral shirts

they were discussed in this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=538809
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Aloysius wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:52 pm
I am wondering what your view is on what makes a musician?
When a man and a woman love each other very much ...
not quite a woke reply, i guess :hihi:
"It dreamed itself along"

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”