I bought too many soft synths

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

machinesworking wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:07 amI don't think Dead Kennedys sounded anything like Oi? Or Fear, The Germs, Nuns etc. etc.
DK practically invented American Hard Core Punk with In God We Trust, Inc. Fortunately, it was a momentary diversion for them and they got back to doing listenable music again. So we'll label them as the exception to prove the rule.
I would not consider Wall of Voodoo Post Punk actually, or Devo. Essentially not all Art rock bands with nods to punk are Post Punk. Plus I would say flatly that the addition of synthesizers as a permanent instrument is the most obvious difference, it's why in the US anyway they were considered new wave bands.
The Cars were New Wave, I don't think WoV or Devo were. I think Devo defy genres, they are very much their own thing.
Wall of Voodoo with Stan Ridgeway singing is just fantastic, so many great songs.
He is a very cool dude, too. I've spoken with him a few times.
Plus Devo, Talking Heads, Blondie etc. all were there at the beginning, hard to be post, but the whole thing was different than the Ramones and the Clash etc.
Blondie and Talking Heads I'd definitely classify as New Wave.
I could tell you, it's the blues rock underpinnings, it's why Oi bothers you, why AC/DC sound American to you, and Dire Straights are terrible, never liked that band.
Yeah, I used to think that but then there's the Beatles, whose music is completely rooted in Blues, yet I like them.
Now I'm curious as to what they did that pissed you off like that?
Their installer uninstalled kHs One for absolutely no f**king reason at all, they make it impossible to find the download to reinstall it and they don't have any obvious way on their website to contact them to sort it out (no Support section). So after I spent more than an hour working through that, I discover that it now plays the default preset in all the songs where I use it, which will mean a night or two lost to recreating those f**king patches, several of which were really hard work to create in the first place (replacing some 32 bit plugins when we moved to 64 bit).

They got back to me overnight and have promised to do better. They are going to take my suggestion that the download be accessible from users' accounts and they came up with some lame excuse as to why they are (temporarily) without a support section. What they did not do was pledge to stop their installer from nuking kHs One, which basically means I will never run their installer again. I've told them that, now we'll see how they respond.
Last edited by BONES on Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Uncle E wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:10 am
Jac459 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:00 am Pizza is certainly not the first (or second) thing that I would get in Italy but can we at least agree that all the pizzas not done with a good old wood fire hoven are just assassination of Italian gastronomy?
We need Pekbro here to talk about Maui pulled pork pizza.
I'll talk about Polish kielbasa, sauerkraut and gruyere pizza in a wood-fired oven that adds smoky taste and cooks faster (700F/370C) so crust is crunchy while topping is not.
Shockingly awesome taste, even if you're Blind as Bones.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Uncle E wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:31 pm
liquidsound wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:29 pm
Uncle E wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:20 pm *MY* pizza rankings (don't @ me):

Chicago > NY > Detroit > California

Is California pizza even a thing? Yes, sadly, it's a thing.
Frozen Pizza! I see... :ud:
Worse! Tofu meat and cauliflower crusts!
I’d put NY over Chicago, but I get it. I’ve found good pizza in California, but it’s pretty rare for some odd reason. Growing up in NJ you couldn’t throw a stick without hitting a good pizzeria.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Uncle E wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:13 am
Jac459 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:05 am Who the hell can afford a pizza in Norway anyway. I am calling bluff.
It's because Norwegians don't eat restaurant pizza. Grandiosa has replaced fårikål as the national dish.
Surprisingly, my kids loved reindeer's meat. Even when I reminded them about the cute cute one of frozen.
They just don't care lol 😂

BONES wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:37 am
Jac459 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:35 amWhen showed examples of modern synthesis, I predicted you would either answer "it is a sample", either answer "I don't care". Both happened in a very borring and predictable way
It's called consistency, it is not a bad thing. And what makes you think physical modelling is anything new? Korg's Prophecy had it 30 years ago and Yamaha had their VL-1 before that.
If you think that EQuing a bass sounds the same than adding a partial, then I am pretty sure we won't manage to agree.
Who cares? What matters is that it has the same effect in a mix. Mind you, I spend way more time trying to get rid of the bottom end in synths than I do trying to add it.
And as you don't care about my views and I don't care about yours, I propose to stop.
Probably best for you, just to make sure you never learn anything that might actually be useful to you.
That and also the fact that you are neither funny neither have good arguments.

In the meantime I learned quite a few things in KVR just this week, just not from you.

Jac459 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:00 amPizza is certainly not the first (or second) thing that I would get in Italy but can we at least agree that all the pizzas not done with a good old wood fire hoven are just assassination of Italian gastronomy?
Like analogue synths, I reckon this is another thing nobody could pick in a blind test. The attraction, I reckon, is that it smells so good when you go to pick it up that it puts you in a frame of mind to enjoy it more. Take that away and it's just another pizza.
Well it is freaking important.
Smell (and nose) is actually the main component of taste. You may not know but the tongue just can separate salt, sour, sweet, acid, rest is done by the nose.

and umami.

Jac459 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:40 amIn the meantime I learned quite a few things in KVR just this week, just not from you.
Yeah, I can just imagine how completely f**king terrible and utterly bad those lessons might be.
Smell (and nose) is actually the main component of taste.
No, it's not. It plays a role in perception, as does sight. They convince the weaker mind but it doesn't help you to actually taste anything. That's why it's called "smell" and not "taste". Did you know that, blindfolded, most people can't tell whether they are drinking red or white wine? If you serve it cold, they'll assume it's white and if you serve it at room temperature, they'll assume it's red but mostly they'll be wrong. Because people are just plain f**king stupid.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Oz Jungle Laws.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No auto tune...

BONES wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:27 pmDid you know that, blindfolded, most people can't tell whether they are drinking red or white wine?
Not quite:
https://sciencesnopes.blogspot.com/2013 ... iment.html
But you get points for observing that a synth can stink even with good taste in its GUI design! :tu:
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:51 pm
BONES wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:27 pmDid you know that, blindfolded, most people can't tell whether they are drinking red or white wine?
Not quite:
But you get points for suggesting that the smell of a synth has no effect on the good taste of the GUI design! :tu:
Funny enough I did a company event with a wine testing activity (I know it sounds weird but hey, I am in a French company) and one of the lesson learnt is that red and wine is not THAT different. So basically if we were taking low quality wine, it was easy to get fooled between red and white.
Going up in quality and the differences where stronger and easier to spot.

And also people were quite able to differentiate wine origins (French regions Bordeaux, Bourgogne for example).

So basically, you would think that differentiating regions is much more difficult than colour. In fact difference is not big at all.

Jac459 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:06 am So basically if we were taking low quality wine, it was easy to get fooled between red and white.
Going up in quality and the differences where stronger and easier to spot.
And also people were quite able to differentiate wine origins (French regions Bordeaux, Bourgogne for example).
Just like all cheap synths sound alike, while the expensive ones have a more distinctive terroir.
So one should buy fewer synths, but choose ones of more expensive vintage.
QED. We can lock this thread now.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Not quite:
That's about wine experts, who are not "most people". The real truth, as always, lies here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbCIGSoKtFo

BONES wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:21 am
Not quite:
That's about wine experts, who are not "most people". The real truth, as always, lies here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbCIGSoKtFo
Which one is most like you?
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

You guys are a bunch of clowns. Seriously. You click on some link and now it's "fact".
You click on some video and now it's "fact".
You're the type that watches the news and says it's all "fact".

nonsense
blog posts are the only "fact"
because each post can be falsified by another post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability
Last edited by Michael L on Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”