Sound Help! Electronic tom in Ring My Bell by Anita Ward?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok, you've all heard the song, if not listen to Ring My Bell by Anita Ward. The sound I am after is what sounds to me like an electronic tom or analogue percussion sound with a long decay. It occurs throughout the song every four beats.

Does anyone know what was originally used in this song and what virtual instrument is capable of making this sound (must be Mac compatible). Failing that does anyone have a clean sample of the sound?

many thanks in advance :)

Lady J wrote:Ok, you've all heard the song, if not listen to Ring My Bell by Anita Ward. The sound I am after is what sounds to me like an electronic tom or analogue percussion sound with a long decay. It occurs throughout the song every four beats.

Does anyone know what was originally used in this song and what virtual instrument is capable of making this sound (must be Mac compatible). Failing that does anyone have a clean sample of the sound?

many thanks in advance :)
My guess would be: Simmons.
There are some samples floating around, maybe check the Big Sample Thread in the samples forum.
It's easy to make with a typical subtractive synth, though: Either a triangle or sine wave (or self-oscillating filter) with a pitch-modulating envelope. Add noise to taste.

GRoet, Erik
Pop music delenda est.

DR-008 has this sound. I know because I was looking for this very sound and it's in one of the kits (probably an electronic or disco kit). I forget which one but I'm sure I can find it. I won't be able to upload a sample cos I don't have a site yet. :(

As for creating it with a mac synth - try a drum synth and then pitch a tom up high. I think that's how it's done in DR-008.

Ooh Ooh, I know, I know...

That is *definitely* an Electro-Harmonix Super SpaceDrum.

K
eccentric genius

"It's not my goddamned planet, monkeyboy"
-John Bigboote

Simmons or Synare (if an older tune), I'd guess...

Im sure any virtual analog drum synth can get close, but I dont know what is out there for the mac. you will want to do 2 things- long decay envelope, and a long modulation envelope. Most drum synths make their attack by sweeping from a high frequency to a lower frequency very quickly. If you slow that sweep you will get the elongated synthetic tom. Then its just a matter of getting the first and last pitch right...

I have an example but my website is down right now... If you want pm me your email address and I can send it

Moog also had a device that would clamp onto a snare or tom drum that could do this sound amazing as well.
Forget it's name, but goes back quite a bit.

Lady J - I got your back girl! ;)

Steven indeed got my back and I quite like it ;)

Thanks everyone, the search is over.

All Hail Dr008 :D

Glad you got it LadyJ.

Cheers,
Gordon

kaden wrote:Ooh Ooh, I know, I know...

That is *definitely* an Electro-Harmonix Super SpaceDrum.

K
ditto. if you don't have dr-008, try my percussion plugs.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Think it was this:
http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/n ... 148420.jpg (http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/casio-casiotone-701-148420.jpg)

I think it was the Casiotone 701, which had two dedicated pew-buttons!

I think this thread is 12 years old ... :?

thecontrolcentre wrote:I think this thread is 12 years old ... :?
Recycling :hihi:
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

I miss the old KVR girls :(

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”