MicroDicer from ConcreteFX released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK, I only tried the demo briefly.
First off, the layout is really nice.

Anyways, here's a few gripes:
- I got quite some access violations under both Logic 5.5.1 and SX 3 (on SX when using any zoom options, on Logic when trying to zoom out). After that MicroDicer completely stopped working - and it still doesn't work anymore.
Yeah, that's right, it's completely broken now!
For example, for the first time in Logic "zoom into selected" worked, now it doesn't anymore. Getting an access violation error each time.
[Edit, 5 minutes later]: Uninstalled and reinstalled it. It has been working again, then I got the first access violation (again while doing some zooming).
Now zooming won't work any longer at all under Logic. In SX it still does (we'll see for how long...).

- I can't seem to find any "trim" options for loops. This would be just great to have as without it I'd have to properly cut all loops first.

- REX file preview doesn't loop, the selected file is only played once. It's great to hear the loop in song tempo, but it should actually repeat it IMO.

- When previewing slices quickly (by alt-clicking) you need to do the following to get from one slice to the other: alt-click, release alt, select next slice, alt-click again. Should be possible to prelisten to samples with the alt key held down permanently. A) would it be quicker and B) is there some high risk to accidentally add or delete slices in case you're doing above mentioned procedure quickly.

- When you have previewing activated for the sample loading dialog but press "cancel" the preview will continue. Somewhat annoying in case you selected a longer track.

OK, all this might sound a bit harsh - I do actually agree that this might be quite some bargain!
Unfortunately I allready own 3-4 slicers... but in case the issues mentioned above will be adressed I might think about it!
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Hi there

It's weird, the whole zoom things was working well in the full version , and seems to work ok in some hosts , but in other it causes problems.
Anyway thanks for everyone bring it to my attention . I've updated the demo at http://www.concretefx.com/MicroDicerDemo.zip , hopefully this should work better. If there are still problem please let us know and i'll try to fix them

About the rest of Sascha comments , interesting and constructive , comments that i like :)

Trim samples - you can do this already , select the slices you want to keep , save these slices to another file , using save selected to wave, and then load in back in , you shave only the select slices in this new wave.

Rex previewing loop good idea, I'll have to see if I can put it in as option. Also I'll get rid of the cancel sample preview bug

Previewing slices, I'm currently in the processing of updating the whole windows key things , so things like previewing are better and you don't have the problem of accident double clicks adding or deleting points.

So I'll have a look into these in the next day or two and get out new version . If any one else has any ideas or having problems , please let us know I'm always interested in ideas for improvements

Cheers

Jon : COFX

Concretefx wrote: I've updated the demo at http://www.concretefx.com/MicroDicerDemo.zip , hopefully this should work better. If there are still problem please let us know and i'll try to fix them
Good. Will try out later.
Trim samples - you can do this already , select the slices you want to keep , save these slices to another file , using save selected to wave, and then load in back in , you shave only the select slices in this new wave.
Hm, yeah... OK. Still sounding a bit time consuming. Setting a start and end point and then just pressing some "Trim" button would be easier... but maybe it's tough to implement technically.
Can't check how effective the way you described is anyways as the demo won't allow for that.
Rex previewing loop good idea, I'll have to see if I can put it in as option.
Should be available for all audio files, btw.
So a perfect wave loop would just loop too.
Best idea would be to have the loop checkbox on the loading dialog itself, because that way you could switch it of/onn without leaving the dialog box.

I just played around with it a bit more, and it seems to be promising.
Any chances to implement some stretching algorhythm (I don't think there is any) btw? That way one could even slice more critical material, such as loops with cymbals (or shakers, which usually produce an ongoing sound all the time too).

Guess if you nail the problems down, this is really great value for money.

sounds just great to me, thanks Matt & Jon

just bought it - went with Dicer for the extra ten bucks, why not, it all goes to a good place 8)

thanks again guys

:oops: :oops: :oops:

:-o

Im sorry, but i think that i've overlooked COFX products. Now when im browsing through them all :shock: :shock: :-o :-o :help:

How could i miss this!?

I dont think ill buy Microdicer anymore :)
I think ill buy Synthpack 2 instead!!! :D :hihi:

Or synthpack 4!

:help: :? I w-a-s going to go buy christmaspresents today .. seems like i have a lot of demoing to do instead :hihi: :hihi:

Im starting to REALLY like the companies hanging out here at kvr.

Thank you Ben! (and Jon, and Aleksey, and Jules, and Rene, and ReFxguy (:oops:), and E-phonic, and .. the list goes long :D)
:hug:

damn straight crackbaby

i made the same mistake 'till sometime ago

then set myself straight 8)

make sure you check out Kubik :shock:

its unbelievable

Hi there

Happy new year to everyone :)

We have release MicroDicer V1.1 , current registered users should have got an email about this new version , if any one hasn't just let us know and i'll email them the information.

A new demo is available here , and more information , purchase details etc can be found here

Changes to new version
  • Parameter saving problem fixed
  • Preview now works through plugin and you can have preview looping
  • Solved problem with zoom positon and graphics are faster
  • Improved adding / deleting slices , now left / right clicking in the triangle indicator part adds / deletes slices
  • Keyboard short cuts added
  • Solved channel output problem in XT
  • Lots of other bug fixes and general improvements , it should be alot smoother and stable now
If you have any problems just let us know and I'll try to sort them out

Thanks to all the people who have been involved in the beta testing of this new version , your help and ideas has been invaluable in sort out the bugs and improving MicroDicer

Cheers

I can only tell you folks: If you don't have a beatslicer yet, THIS is the one to get!

To my knowledge, it's also the only VST plugin allowing for preview of REX files in song tempo - which is a godsend!

Also, expect possible issues to be sorted out almost instantly - I've rarely seen such a responsive and quick developer as Jon.

Oh, and a happy new year from over here as well!

I still cant decide what package to buy!! :-o
But as soon as i have tried all the demos i will :hihi:
:hug:

Crackbaby wrote:I still cant decide what package to buy!! :-o
But as soon as i have tried all the demos i will :hihi:

Just buy them all :hihi:
But seriusly , you should you wont reget it.

Sascha Franck wrote:To my knowledge, it's also the only VST plugin allowing for preview of REX files in song tempo - which is a godsend!
phatmatik pro does that too...

Yet I totoally agree with your other comments. This is THE slicer to get if one doesn't have one yet. And Jon is simply amazing!

not in the demo version
and omg that phatmatik browser is so bad it's not true.

thanks so much for MicroDicer.
TheWall wrote:phatmatik pro does that too...

TheWall wrote: phatmatik pro does that too...
Interesting.
Well, I haven't got any update information and can't be arsed to ask Mr. Gillespie right now (won PPro in a contest once).
And then, there's Micro Dicer which IMO is easier to handle.

New version of MicroDicer out (v1.1a) , any one how has already got MicroDicer should have got an email , and ther is a demo version out at http://www.concretefx.com/MicroDicerDemo.zip

Changes are

- much improved drawing algorithm

Alg #1 is the old drawing system , and Alg #3 is the new

- wave dragging into MicroDicer works properly now

- lots of other small improvements and bug fixes

If there is any problems just send us a message

Cheers

Return to “Instruments”