Albums/artists using Rhodes or E.P.?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Steven West wrote:
cyanogen wrote:
Steven West wrote:Thanks Cyanogen!

I'm definately keen on Keane then. :cool:

And no ones said The Doors yet? :?
Speaking of which, what was that bass keyboard Ray used? It had white on black keys, I think.
It was a little Fender 'Bass Keyboard' (Used to know the name? :oops: ) And of course some great electric piano work by Ray on 'Riders On The Storm'. ;)

So that IS a CP-70 Keane was using - sounds much different in their music. They use it well. :hihi:
Piano Bass I think. I would be curious to find one - as I have read that they are not simply just the lowest 2 octaves from a rhodes 73. I believe they used longer and thicker Tines :-o (insert 8th grade humor here)

heres a great rhodes site
Last edited by Stupid American Pig on Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

and back on topic here is the page of recommended rhodes records...

http://www.fenderrhodes.com/cgi-bin/records

Wasn't the classic Deep Purple organ an overdriven, cranked up, amped Rhodes?

and here is a recording of herbie hancock explaining cool use of an echoplex to "pitch bend" a rhodes

http://www.fenderrhodes.com/history/audio.html

Great quote from the rhodes site
The Rhodes is a deceptively simple instrument that, like its more complicated uncle, the piano, is amazingly resistant to accurate sampling.
Ray Charles wrote:"The Rhodes was a musical atom bomb, changing the face of the music landscape forever."
Chick Corea wrote:"The Rhodes represents the only true advancement to the piano keyboard in the 20th century."

Those are some great links!!

Man. Herbie Hancock's "The Spook Who Sat by the Door" is amazing.

PORTISHEAD!!!!

No, I don't think the Doors organ was a processed Rhodes. But it reminds me of a little story.

Back in the days, somebody gave me a very beaten Rhodes for free (!!!) and kept it in my bedroom. Fixed up a missing key (by nicking a straight A key from a nearly demolished bar piano) and made some other essential repairs.

Anyway, being a guitarist, I ran the thing through a E.H. Big Muff, and surprise surprise! Played power-chords on it, and it truely sounded like ZZ Top! :-o

Some time later I met this guy that unlike me had real talents for keyboards, so I passed the gift to him...

Oh, back on topic: Queen - You're My Best Friend (anybody can play that riff) and all SuperTramp stuff (doesn't have the Wurly tinkle though it's supposed to be Wurlitzer) and the now dreaded Simon & Garfunkel live in Central Park oozes the Fender Rhodes all over.

My Spies inform me that JeffSanders wrote:Wasn't the classic Deep Purple organ an overdriven, cranked up, amped Rhodes?
Nah -- that was a Hammond, pure and simple.

Well, OK, the cranked amp and ring modulator negated both the purity and simplicity -- but what a sound!
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Can't forget about Frank Zappa's The Grand Wazoo , some great Rhodes action there.

And although it's a Hohner Pianet, and not a Rhodes, if you like EP's in general, hook yourself up with The Zombies. Real fun British Invasion stuff, with some nice EP.

I am the walrus, Great Hohner pianet sound, but not all that technical...

I'd suggest:
1. Herbie Hancock
2. George Duke
3. Joe Sample
4. Jeff Lorber
5. Jackie Terasson
9. Chick Corea

I'd suggest:
1. Herbie Hancock
2. George Duke
3. Joe Sample
4. Jeff Lorber
5. Jackie Terasson
9. Chick Corea

Oh, I'd have to say:

1) Chick Corea
2) Chick Corea
3) Chick Corea

... then some other guys.

Sleepgolfer wrote:PORTISHEAD!!!!
Yeah, I was going to add that too. Can't believe that it got to page 3 without them.
And all life's fears
Can invade my ears
I can handle it

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”