Can any program create tempo maps?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've seen software tools that stretch audio to fit a specific tempo or a specific number of bars, etc.

What if I start with an audio track that I need to keep unchanged, which starts with an about 90bpm tempo, it's 5 minutes long and it has a noticeable amount of intentional tempo variation.

Is there any software application where I could load the audio track and then I specify where the bar lines should be so that the program creates a continuously varying tempo map to fit the bar lines as I've set them?

I hope I'm making sense. The purpose here is to add MIDI tracks to an existing audio track but instead of recording MIDI live I was wondering whether it's possible to set the bar markers and generate a tempo that changes at least once per beat to fit the existing audio track.
1 3 4 6 8 A B

What host / sequencer will you be using?

Now my approach would be to insert the tempo changes manually, and listen carefully with the metronome track weather all is lined up correctly.

Maybe you will discover that although the basic track sounds quite steady, the tempo might be wandering a bit, thus making lining up the beats perfectly can't be done.

A lot of time could be saved by first setting up a click track including the tempo changes, and re-recording your parts over that. Maybe not use a click track, but some beats. Depends on the type of music ofcourse weather you can do that.

Or just forget all the visual aid of vertical lines, and add tracks by ear. Thats the most natural / organic way anyway.

C00kie wrote:Now my approach would be to insert the tempo changes manually, and listen carefully with the metronome track weather all is lined up correctly.

Or just forget all the visual aid of vertical lines, and add tracks by ear. Thats the most natural / organic way anyway.
Yes, one way and probably the best is to just record live. The other way is to manually put in tempo changes until they fit.

I use Sonar and eXT but I've had very little experience handling audio tracks with any program.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably go through the audio track and set tempo changes manually.
1 3 4 6 8 A B

Ableton Live can do this.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Acolmiztli wrote:Ableton Live can do this.
Really? I'm getting the demo now. Thank you.
1 3 4 6 8 A B

Nax wrote:I've seen software tools that stretch audio to fit a specific tempo or a specific number of bars, etc.

I hope I'm making sense. The purpose here is to add MIDI tracks to an existing audio track but instead of recording MIDI live I was wondering whether it's possible to set the bar markers and generate a tempo that changes at least once per beat to fit the existing audio track.
Er, I think there's a tempo tap built into Sonar.. I don't know how it works exactly, since I use Home Studio (Sonar's little brother).

My understanding is you play the audio track, and hit a key to tap quarter notes along with it. Then it curve fits a tempo map... Look up Fit Improvisation in the manual.

I've done it manually in home studio with surprisingly decent results... just play the audio track start-to-finish, and tap F11 to add a marker at every measure break you hear... then go to View Tempo and add tempo increases or decreases as needed until the markers line up visually with the measure breaks. Hard to describe in words...

garret wrote:My understanding is you play the audio track, and hit a key to tap quarter notes along with it. Then it curve fits a tempo map... Look up Fit Improvisation in the manual.
I know I looked through this but I thought it was to set a single tempo for the whole project. I'll check it out again later tonight and I'll make sure my brain is not on vacation... Thank you.
1 3 4 6 8 A B

In another case of RTFM, Sonar can do this.

It's pretty easy to record a reference track, as Sonar calls it, and record a midi note on every beat, that follows the recorded audio. Then by selecting the reference track and doing Fit Improvisation it creates what I was looking for... a changing tempo map to fit the existing audio performance without changing the audio at all.

Thanks garret! I didn't see any reference to markers but it worked pretty well. Now back to the manual... :)
1 3 4 6 8 A B

Nax wrote: Thanks garret! I didn't see any reference to markers but it worked pretty well. Now back to the manual... :)
Nifty! 8) Some day I'll upgrade to Sonar, and I've always had that feature in mind as something that would make the upgrade worthwhile...

The markers method is my cheap substitute... it's not probably nowhere as accurate as the Fit Improv stuff.

even Humble NTrack has recently had Tempo tracks added as a feature... Not had the chance to use it, but if it works for you, it'll save a few quid!

DSP

Maybe not what you're looking for but Pro Tools can do this (excel in this should i say).

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”