Setting up a WebSite

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

haydxn wrote::D nice and efficient site design! ;)

just a few quick comments, based on my own personal style of coding - and thus not necessarily important to anyone else!

you use a <li> tag to make each link a 'list item'. that's fine, and you can see that it works well enough, but i feel that it is good practise to get into the habit of closing your tags. like the <a> tag gets closed with an </a>, the <li> should really get closed too with an </li>; this makes the page more logical, and can be a useful instinct as you get deeper into html. also, because the items are list items, it's also good to put them within a logical list; if you surround the list items with <ul> ... </ul>, you'll declare them to be an unordered (bulleted) list.

you can change that to an <ol> (ordered list) and then they'll magically be numbered!

as you've seen, it works and is therefore perhaps not too important for your needs. i just find it good to develop handy habits that can make future developments easier should you want to take things farther than you'd initially imagined.

btw i really hope this doesn't sound like i'm being unnecessarily critical! just providing some things that may help! :oops:
Yep, good advice indeed (not mention will also make your code mo' XHTML complient when you close them tags up nice n' purdy :) ).

Another benefit of that will become more appearent once you dive into the fun of CSS: by having a complete tag-set to encapsulate stuff in, you can then easily attach CSS classes to them to globally control what they contain.

So for example, you could take those <li></li> tag-sets and make sure that all such list elements use the same font characteristics (instead of using messy FONT tags each time), like so in yer STYLE header:

Code: Select all

li {
    font-family: arial,sans-serif;
    font-size: 12px;
    font-weight: bold;
    color: #ff0000
}
Voila! Now all text you have between any <li></li> tag-set will use Arial font (and if that's not found on the user's computer, will use their system's default sans-serif font instead), be of size 12px, bold and colored red. :)

Glassback wrote:wot a load of bolleaux

thanks, wot a load of bolleaux. :lol:

Hey sonic, I don't know if your plan is to learn html, but if you just want a website, why not ask someone here to design it for you. I would be more than happy to help if you like. I'm sure we could work out some kind of trade (any vst's laying around collecting dust?).
I'm not a pro, but I do it on the side and have worked on various sites with html and flash. You can check out my music page here.
Freeztar.us
It's still a wip, but it'll give you an idea. Feel free to browse the code if you decide to diy. PM me if you want to take me up on my offer.
Anti-aliasing is for "synthmonk%ys".

heya this seems to be "my" thread - FrontPage which I use and like (although everybody keeps saying it's shit) just pooofed on me.... it won't let me activate via the net anymore...

I called them via telephone only to find out that my dial-slice (or however you call Wählscheibe) doesn't send "beeps" but rather "trrrrrrl's" :wink: so I called via cellphone and they said something was wrong....

- I could use it till now but now it just won't open any pages anymore, let alone save....

so is there a freeware html editor which is like frontpage I could download for the weekend....

Glassback wrote:You might find a lot of very useful info here:

http://www.w3schools.com/
OOPS!

sorry, glassback, I really did miss this message.. :oops:

multree wrote:heya this seems to be "my" thread - FrontPage which I use and like (although everybody keeps saying it's shit) just pooofed on me.... it won't let me activate via the net anymore...

I called them via telephone only to find out that my dial-slice (or however you call Wählscheibe) doesn't send "beeps" but rather "trrrrrrl's" :wink: so I called via cellphone and they said something was wrong....

- I could use it till now but now it just won't open any pages anymore, let alone save....

so is there a freeware html editor which is like frontpage I could download for the weekend....
Hey multree (lucky bugger ;))
Frontpage is really crap. Well, at least it was when I last used it, which was a couple years back. For free, you might try Matizha Sublime.
Anti-aliasing is for "synthmonk%ys".

revised

http://sonicera.com/

haydxn wrote
btw, when i say surround the list items with either a <ul> or <ol> pair, i mean around the whole bunch...

e.g.

<ul>
<li>...</li>
<li>...</li>
<li>...</li>
</ul>

a tag means 'this next bit of text is specifically of this type'.. and the closing means 'that particular type is done with for now'.

at the beginning, you start up with an <html>, telling the world that we're dealing with html!
<a> (anchor) basically means that the enclosed bit is a link. it's easy enough to comprehend the importance of closing that one, else all the following text would be a link!

<ul> says "the next chunk of text is an unordered list". inside that chunk you put list items; so you say "this bit is a list item", put your list item, and then close the item. then you put another, etc.. and then you say "right, that's the end of this unordered list". once you close it, if you start putting text down, it's now a separate thing.

not sure why i just wrote all this.. i haven't said anything new at all! oh well, i'm just tired! good luck, and good night!
Got it, thanks for the help, night to you too.

Har wrote
Yep, good advice indeed (not mention will also make your code mo' XHTML complient when you close them tags up nice n' purdy ).

Another benefit of that will become more appearent once you dive into the fun of CSS: by having a complete tag-set to encapsulate stuff in, you can then easily attach CSS classes to them to globally control what they contain.

So for example, you could take those <li></li> tag-sets and make sure that all such list elements use the same font characteristics (instead of using messy FONT tags each time), like so in yer STYLE header:

Code:

li {
font-family: arial,sans-serif;
font-size: 12px;
font-weight: bold;
color: #ff0000
}

Voila! Now all text you have between any <li></li> tag-set will use Arial font (and if that's not found on the user's computer, will use their system's default sans-serif font instead), be of size 12px, bold and colored red.
That will be on my next agenda altho I think HTML beauty will do that for you, but will try the code myself and see if I can make it interesting. What I will be trying tomorrow will be to try some graphics. That should be fun :hihi: Thanks Har.

Thanks for the offer freeztar, we'll see how far I get before I breakdown and have someone else do it. I'd like to try this myself. I checked out your site tho, nice layout and a nice collection of guitars and stringthings you got. would love to learn the cuatro. I am a guitar player myself and at some point want to post pics of the ones I made (altho been focusing on synths this past year, the guitars are sitting idle at the moment). [/quote]

I would say.. you can create a really 'great' site with a little html and a lot of graphic work..

learn tables and how to nest them (layer)

you can lock the size of the design in a larger table (using height and more importantly width parameters) and inside have all the elements built in other tables.. then just remove the border with a Border=0 in the table tag (cellspacing=0 and cellpadding=0 too are good for graphics) and bobs yer uncle..

but go crazy.. you cant harm anything.. if you type up a code and it doesnt work, you wont be invoking pain onto the browser.. it doesnt have feelings.. go crazy and experiment!! :D :hihi:

tables are good for layout, but they're also pretty archaic, and can make sites more complex than necessary. if possible, i'd strongly recommend css over table use. it's actually a great deal simpler to use css than to make and maintain a table. it's all very logical! again i point you towards my site to see a fairly simple (yet i feel quite attractive!) site using css and html.

http://haydxn.net
the css stylesheet file is here...
http://haydxn.net/xh.css
check out the w3schools site stuff if you want to look at what things mean. it can look pretty scary at first glance, but it really is very simple and logical. a step by step learn, refine, improve sequence is good for learning something like html. again, if you decide to look into interesting layout/formatting, css is surely the way to go for very many reasons!
Kick, punch, it's all in the mind.

VitaminD wrote
I would say.. you can create a really 'great' site with a little html and a lot of graphic work..

learn tables and how to nest them (layer)

you can lock the size of the design in a larger table (using height and more importantly width parameters) and inside have all the elements built in other tables.. then just remove the border with a Border=0 in the table tag (cellspacing=0 and cellpadding=0 too are good for graphics) and bobs yer uncle..

but go crazy.. you cant harm anything.. if you type up a code and it doesnt work, you wont be invoking pain onto the browser.. it doesnt have feelings.. go crazy and experiment!!
Thanks for the tips, I have alot of artwork that I have done and have some graphics programs (Photoshop, Illustrator, and Freehand) so I have alot of the tools needed just got to find the time. This will be a slow process for me but I am excited with the possibilities :hyper:

hehe yes, I thought about css before my post..

however, I wouldnt bother with css unless you are really interested with page design.. and/or do much editing or have multiple pages..

sure there are advantages to it, but for a simple page.. If you're going to have to learn the basics of html.. might just learn html tables too and skip css imo..

:shrug: :hihi:

haydxn wrote
tables are good for layout, but they're also pretty archaic, and can make sites more complex than necessary. if possible, i'd strongly recommend css over table use. it's actually a great deal simpler to use css than to make and maintain a table. it's all very logical! again i point you towards my site to see a fairly simple (yet i feel quite attractive!) site using css and html.

http://haydxn.net
the css stylesheet file is here...
http://haydxn.net/xh.css
check out the w3schools site stuff if you want to look at what things mean. it can look pretty scary at first glance, but it really is very simple and logical. a step by step learn, refine, improve sequence is good for learning something like html. again, if you decide to look into interesting layout/formatting, css is surely the way to go for very many reasons!
Nice graphics haydxn, will spend some time browsing the w3schools sit tomorrow see what I can absorb. I save the css and will look into that as well. Thanks 8)

yes, i learned thru implementing tables in simple pages, so it definitely isn't a bad thing to do.

but absolutely if you consider having multiple pages with a similar style, css is the winner.

i've uploaded the original version of the page- made entirely in html using tables as a layout basis. it's quite complex, due to my wanting transparent corners and silly stuff, so it's as wacky and complex as is probably possible! way to freak yourself out! :D

http://haydxn.net/_tables/_tables.html

anyway, it REALLY is bed time now! goodnight, and best of luck! and, again, don't hesitate to ask if you find yourself in trouble.
Kick, punch, it's all in the mind.

i use frontpage,yep people say its crap but guess what it works :D
learnin curve 0 :D
sites look as good as other sites really 8)
ok code might be heavier but i dont give a f**k :D
its about putting my music on there which frontpage allows me to do in 2 minutes no fuss.
why take the long way round just to be able to say i took the long way round :wink:

VitiminD wrote
hehe yes, I thought about css before my post..

however, I wouldnt bother with css unless you are really interested with page design.. and/or do much editing or have multiple pages..

sure there are advantages to it, but for a simple page.. If you're going to have to learn the basics of html.. might just learn html tables too and skip css imo..
I probably will explore what is out there and use what I find most comfortable. I may need to do alot of graphics and will have multiple pages so whatever works best with that.

Thanks again for the help :D

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”