Beat Stacking?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a vst or an easy way to stack two kicks to get that nice house bass effects...

Can't you just take two kicks and line them up in your sequencer on two tracks? Is this... not easy?

-Tronam

You can still make out the 2 different kicks. I'm talking about linning them in a way that you get the kick from one and the booom from the other but it does not sound like 2 it sounds like 1.
Mac Pro 2x3.3 GHz X5680 64GB RAM - RME RayDAT - RME ADI-8 DS - Audeze LCD2 - Neurochrome HP-2 - Mackie C4 Pro

Often you will need to play with the attack and decay/release of the sample. A touch of compression or saturation sometimes helps blend it all together as well.

Fabriciom wrote:You can still make out the 2 different kicks. I'm talking about linning them in a way that you get the kick from one and the booom from the other but it does not sound like 2 it sounds like 1.
Im affraid there is no VST available that replaces the skill of mixing. Practice, that is the only way. There are a multitude of ways to layer percussive elements, do a search through some of my previous posts for more info.

Ok what I got so far from playing around with the attack/release http://madrid.sight.es/hloop.mp3 I'm still not happy with the high hat as its the wrong note and/or is sticking out too much...
Mac Pro 2x3.3 GHz X5680 64GB RAM - RME RayDAT - RME ADI-8 DS - Audeze LCD2 - Neurochrome HP-2 - Mackie C4 Pro

ive actually used one kick straight ahead, and flipped another backwards, so it gives a nice kick punch, with a cool phat sucking" release at the same time.....youll have to retime the sample playing in reverse to have the hit from both samples attack at the same time,,,,,but its worth it.

talking ableton 5.2 lingo here though.,you can also set two or three drum kicks on top one another with your impulse, and adjust the start time/and decays in milliseconds to be slighlty off.......thats when you really want fat retarded kicks.....

... aparently your link doesn't work so I can't listen to your example. In general you have to decide in such a situation from which kick you'd like to have what kind of sound - EQing and playing with the attack/decay of the respective samples should do it. After that routing the samples into one FX channel (... in most cases compression or saturation...) should complete the sound...

As being said before - practice is your friend...

You aren't by any chance talking about the pumping effect between kick and bass, are you? Because for that you don't need 2 kicks. In general I'd recommend not stacking kicks, particularly not in realtime. If you want to create a new kick sample from 2 other's, do that in a sample editor, make sure they don't overlap in frequency ranges, that makes the kick weaker.
But if you're after that pumping kick&bass house effect, you need to sidechain compress most of the track (at least the rhythm section, including bass) with the kick feeding the compressor's sidechain. Then you have to find the right attack and release times for the compressor until you hear the characteristic pumping.

hth

Markus

[ xerocreep ] wrote:Often you will need to play with the attack and decay/release of the sample. A touch of compression or saturation sometimes helps blend it all together as well.
Exactly. If you dont do this then you will get some cancellation and some phasing.

The attack on the boomy kick should be slow and the decay on the attacky kick shold be fast. Thus you will get the attack of the 'attacky' one, with the boom of the 'boomy' one.

How about just EQ'ing the lows off of one kick and then eq'ing the mids and highs off another? Then use a filter (gently) to smooth it out? May be worth a try.
"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live."

Assuming you've already Eq'd to taste, like someone already said you need to play with the envelope of each kick, aside from your samplers envelope these might come in handy, i use dominion all the time for stuff like this.

Dominion

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/878.html

MDA Envelope

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/785.html

Return to “Production Techniques”