Kenaxis Creative has announced the release of version 3.1 of Kenaxis, the flagship product in its line of real-time audio performance software. This update adds OSC (Open Sound Control) compatibility and an FFT Phase Vocoder, allowing Kenaxis users greater flexibility in both interactivity and sonic output.
OSC enables Kenaxis to communicate with a variety of hardware and software interfaces including consumer devices as familiar as the iPod touch, the iPhone and Wii remotes. Combining OSC with the powerful audio-design tools of Kenaxis opens a whole new range of possibilities for musicians and artists working in live audio performance.
In addition, while Kenaxis 3.1 is loaded with its trademark Granular Synthesis tools, the new FFT Phase Vocoder offers an alternative technique for sonic time stretching and freezing. The Phase Vocoder will appeal to musicians who desire more organic, analog-sounding textures in their performances and compositions, says Kenaxis Creative.
These changes bring Kenaxis one-step closer to achieving the democratic vision of designer, Stefan Smulovitz who conceives the software to allow for the utmost freedom in musical expression. "Kenaxis is not an imitation of corporate sequencer-based products," he comments, "It is designed for musicians, like myself, who want an instrument to play, rather than a grid that defines what and how we can play." Equally useful for performing and composing, Kenaxis Creative says that Kenaxis is currently used by musicians worldwide for practices as diverse as electroacoustic works, noise, ambient, glitch, soundscapes, live looping, film scores, theatre and DJing.
- Intuitive Performance Interface: 6 loop players, mixer and master mixer. Clear, compact display of all parameters allows the musician to monitor and manipulate every aspect of the performance.
- Powerful Tools: pitch modulation, delay, granular synthesis, convolution, analog synthesis, 12 band parametric EQs, automated envelopes and filters, random file players and VST support - allows for sonic possibilities not possible with hardware components, at a fraction of the cost.
- Adjustable Crossfades and Insert Silence features: allows for maximum real-time loop manipulation - eliminate clicks, create drones or sparse textures.
- Multiple Audio Sources: Drag and drop sound files, synthesize sounds or capture live sound on the fly.
- OSC and MIDI compatible: Faster and with higher resolution than MIDI, OSC (Open Sound Control) allows the musician to 'play' Kenaxis with the iPod, iPod Touch, Wii controller, Lemur and other OSC devices and software.
- FFT Phase Vocoder: An organic and "more analog-sounding" time-stretching alternative. Pinpoint sounds in the spectrum analysis tool to stretch, freeze and manipulate.
Pricing and Availability
Priced at $135, Kenaxis is available for Windows and Mac OS X. Kenaxis Bundle costs $185 (includes Kenaxis, Kenaxis Surround and Kenaxis Visualizer). Site License pricing is available.