Sound Dust has released Saxomaphonium, a hybrid Kontakt instrument made from saxophones and harmoniums.
Sound Dust says:
Look, I know everyone hates saxophones. And with good reason. Excluding Colin Stetsons work, and Tom Waits of course, I also tend toward hating on saxophones myself.
But is it really fair to judge an instrument by its past misdemeanors? Can the sax be rehabilitated and made sexy again?
Here at Sound Dust we say HELL YES.
File under Michael Nyman post-baroque maxi/minimalisms, undulating cinematic Zimmer beds, Goran Bregovic Balkan wedding/funeral knees-up, pseudo orchestral epic sweep-scapes. Definitely not Baker Street.
- 1140 24-bit samples = 2.46GB with Native Instruments propriety compression.
- Saxophone x 2 - 4 octaves of baritone and alto saxophone long looped notes - 6 velocity layers.
- Tape Saxophone - 4 octaves of baritone and alto saxophone long looped notes - brutalised through Roland Chorus Echo RE501 for lots of wow and flutter - 6 velocity layers.
- Honk - 4 octaves of baritone and alto saxophone staccato notes - 5 velocity layers.
- Harmonium - binaurally recorded portable harmonium with looped BPM synced bellows pumping.
- Pump Organ - binaurally recorded church style pump organ.