|Type / Tags||Bass Drum Synth|
The Synsonic Instruments BD-808-PRO software-plugin is useful for creating 808-style Bass Drum Sounds.
The underlying signal processing is based on a detailed analysis of the original 808 Bass Drum circuit.
With the MIDI-Control it is also possible to use the plugin as a Bass Synthesizer.
Originally the 808 Bass Drum has the following parameters for soundshaping:
- Accent: Strength of the drum sound.
- Level: Output level.
- Decay: Duration of the drum sound.
- Tone: Amount of attack-click.
Additionally the Synsonic Instruments BD-808 offers the following useful soundshaping possibilities:
- Tune: Tuning in halftones.
- Fine: Tuning in cents.
- LongDecay: Extends decay range.
- MidiSync-Tune: Tune depends on played Midi-Note.
- MidiSync-Accent: Accent depends on Velocity of played Midi-Note.
With the MIDI Learn function you can assign any MIDI-Controller to a parameter of the Bass Drum.
The BD-808-PRO offers additional parameters:
- Compression: The envelope can be compressed, resulting in a louder sound.
- Drive: Distortion enhances the 808 sound to achieve a dirty bass drum sound. By activating the drive envelope the distortion is only present during the attack phase of the overall sound. This behaviour may sound more natural, as a real drum also has more distortion at the initial hit.
- Glide: By turning up the glidetime, the pitch smoothly varies when different notes are played. Three different glidemodes (Up, Down, Up/Down) allow for different gliding behaviour.
- Extended MIDI-Control: To allow more dynamic playing, one can influence the amount of Accent, Decay, Compression, Drive and Tone dependent on the MIDI velocity. e.g. a strong hit on the keyboard can set the drive higher than if the key is hit weaker. Turning the MIDI-SYNC knob of a parameter to the right leads to a positive relation between MIDI velocity and the parameter (indicated by a yellow ring outside the knob). Turning the MIDI-SYNC knob of a parameter to the left leads to a negative relation between MIDI velocity and the parameter (indicated by a red ring outside the knob).
For more information download the documentation sheet.