People have been saying for years that our sampling technology will never be able to convincingly emulate the sound of high-quality overdriven analog devices. It's about time to change their minds.
...Along came Overdrive.
Based on our latest CORE11 technology, Crimson Dreamware Dynamic Overdrive is the very first Acqua plug-in able to deliver anything from subtle saturation to full-on extreme levels of distortion.
The Crimson Dreamware Dynamic Overdrive Suite includes 3 different plug-in units. All of these are delivered both in standard and zero latency versions. The units are a Standalone Compressor, a Standalone Preamp (analog circuit color emulation) and a Full Distortion Channel Strip. The strip is comprised of the compressor, a preamp, a clipper and the Krampus saturator, plus internal routing.
The hardware that inspired Crimson built its reputation largely on its design choices, mainly the use of four expressly designed discrete VCAs. Thanks to the upgraded CORE11 tech, our software version allows to faithfully reproduce the behavior of the hardware unit, translating all its sonic details into a single powerful plug-in.
• Attack: 0.1, 0.3, 1, 3, 10 and 30 ms.
• Attack Envelope Shape Modulation (SHMod): from 0 to 4.
• Release: 0.1, 0.3, 0.6, 0.9, 1.2 sec.
• Side-chain High-Pass Filter: from 0 Hz (off) up to 150 Hz.
• Ratios: Soft, 2:1, 4:1, 8:1. 10:1, Hard.
• Mix: determines the mix proportion between the original (dry) and "effected" (wet) signals.
• Insane: with it on the accuracy and speed of the compressor are improved for the expense of higher CPU usage.
• Asym: it allows to get asymmetric distortion by compressing only the positive half of the audio waveform.
• Input Trim: sets the input level from -20dB to +20dB, and it is used to control the internal operational level of the plug-in.
• Make Up: up to +20dB of make up gain.
This unit precisely emulates dynamically the phase/frequency response and harmonic distortion of its corresponding hardware model.
• Preamps: off, FET and Zener modes available.
• Adjust: allows for increasing or reducing the overall harmonic distortion levels.
Crimson Channel Strip and Saturator:
In addition to the above units, the channel strip includes also the Krampus Saturator, an Input/Output Master Control section and a Clipper. The Krampus Saturator is capable of delivering anything from subtle saturation to extreme distortion, and it is partly based on tech used for our dynamic equalizers.
• Shape: when on it dictates the range of high frequencies that won't be affected by the saturator (based on crossover filter).
• Filter: it acts as a side-chain filter for the saturator to tune the sensitivity of the saturator to a specific frequency range.
• 2nd and 3rd modes: FET and ZENER distortion modes available, with dominating either even or odd harmonics.
• Hard and Soft character: decides the saturation knee type.
• Level: controls the amplitude of the distorted signal level and it is followed by the clipper stage.
• Drive: controls the amount of signal driving the saturator.
• Mix: a Dry/Wet control between the saturation tone and the original unaffected one.
• Input level: Global input level. From -20 dB to +20 dB.
• Output L & Output R: Global output level control for the L & R channels with -20 dB to +20 dB of gain and control link option.
• SuperSatu: when enabled the compressor is merged and becomes part of the saturator module, allowing for richer saturation.
• Clip: this button engages the clipper stage in Crimson positioned post-Krampus.
• Challenge-response authorization system allowing activation for two computers per license.
• The trial version is fully functional for a duration of four weeks. Trial license allows the activation of two computers per license.
• Support operation systems: OS X and Windows.
• Supported plug-in formats: VST2, AAX, and AU.
• Supported architectures: 32 and 64-bits.
Price and availability:
• Diamond Lift commercial version: €129.00. Available as a digital download immediately after payment.
• Diamond Lift Trial version: free 4 week test license. Available as a digital download immediately after €0.00 payment.
About Acustica Audio:
Acustica Audio as a company is active both in the field of information technology (IT) and audio engineering. Within the world of audio the company's goal is to provide both the most authentic reproduction of vintage and other high-end audio gear, and the development of new original hybrid processors - all based on sampling.
Over the years Acustica Audio has become well known for its audio plug-ins, which are based on unique for the market non-linear Vectorial Volterra Kernels technology. An analogy could be drawn between an audio sampler (an electronic musical instrument able to capture and reproduce audio samples) and our proprietary plug-in engine, which allows for based on sampling modelling of various audio processors and systems, such as: EQs, filters, circuit distortions, compressors, expanders, reverbs, echoes, flangers, loudspeakers, clippers, etc.
About Nebula and Acqua Effect plug-ins:
Nebula is Acustica Audio"s sampler plug-in able to load external sample libraries of various sound processors. An Acqua is a stand-alone plug-in based on skinned collection of Nebula libraries with added routing and control functionalities. Aquas are developed by combining one or more Nebula's instances. This process called "parametrization" is achieved by using script languages proprietary to Acustica Audio and does not require external tools or compilers.