|Type / Tags||Sampler/Sample Player|
HALion can load almost every sound library available on the market and offers numerous tools to shape and even radically reinvent sounds.
- State-of-the-art sound design environment developed according to the requirements of professional sound designers.
- Award-winning 32-bit floating-point Steinberg audio engine with up to 192 kHz, 32 stereo outputs and 6-channel surround support.
- Flexible user interface for customizing and saving windows and screen sets.
- Multi-monitor support for perfect overview of large projects.
- Virtual Analog Synthesis Engine offers multiple oscillator types, additional sub and noise oscillators and cross-modulation support.
- VST 3.5 and VST Expression 2 support for unique instrument articulation management and expression control on single-note level.
- Flexible signal routing with free assignable buses per layer, virtual audio mixing console with 8 inserts per channel and 4 Aux sends.
- MegaTrig for easy programming of playing styles and articulations without page-filling scripting.
- Drag and drop for quick and easy sample mapping.
- Unlimited undo/redo plus Undo History for hassle-free sound experiments.
- Automatic on-the-fly mapping during import.
- Outstanding library with more than 1,600 instrument sounds created by top sound experts at Steinberg and Yamaha.
- 64-bit Disk-Streaming technology for high performance sample playback.
- Integrated MediaBay sound management system for immediate access to the library.
- Flexible Quick Controls per program and layer for instant access to sound and FX parameters and easy automation in the host.
- Unique morphing filters seamlessly blend between up to four of the 24 filter types.
- FlexPhraser module for dynamically driving beats and arpeggios, plus complex tonal phrases with automatic articulation switching.
- Wide range of audio effects on board including REVerence convolution reverb to fuel each program and layer with up to 8 insert effects.
- Advanced Cubase integration including seamless exchange of extended parameters like slice information and VST Expression Maps.
- Comprehensive import compatibility of HALion 3 sounds (FXP, HSB) and common formats as Giga, EXS and Kontakt.
- Professional standalone version included.
Reviewed By lordvader48
April 11, 2007
Perhaps in the early days of VSTi's these kinds of limitations in a software sampler were acceptable. That certainly isn't the case now. I think we all expected that HALion and Kontakt would be rounded out with these critical capabailities by now. After all, what good is a sampler that can't even sample? If HALion provided proper drag & drop of sampled material the lack of sampling and waveform editing might not be so crippling. But as things stand, HALion is really only good for loading and playing sound libraries. It is certainly not a "VST sampler" as Steinberg claims.
HALion also has serious problems in the file management area. HALion saves Programs by saving separate files for all of the constituent sample files for the program. This leads to a big tangled mess of files on your hard disk. HALion does provide a ".hsb file format" which saves bank contents to a single file, but be warned that once you save your bank as a ".hsb" you will be unable to access your samples outside of HALion!
Finally, HALion's onboard effects are weak, and the routing of effects is very hard to understand and use.
I've marked down HALion in the ratings because the manufacturer mistakenly claims that HALion is a sampler. When Steinberg finally gets around to addressing these problems I will raise these ratings accordingly.
HALion is in dire need of an update. Image-Line's DirectWave costs 1/4 as much as HALion, and does not have the debilitating limitations. DirectWave is a much better and much more useful sampling tool.Read more
Reviewed By tchibo
April 24, 2004
The filters are much better since version 2.x, and the delivered content is very usable and of high quality. The drums and strings are simply great (the drums already were in 2.x). BUT: The delivered content is preset only; you can't extract the samples or use them to create own patches, though you can edit the programs. So if you are used to archive your songs together with the samples you use, e. g. on DVD-R, you won't be able to, except you burn down the complete content archives of HALion 3 again and again (4 huge files).
With 3.1 (final) a new streaming mode was introduced, that gives a lot better performance than any previous HALion version. Comparisons with Kontakt show that it beats the latest version of the NI sampler, too.
HALion 3.1 finally is a mature product and is recommended to anyone who needs many many voices, excellent disk streaming and a powerful and really complete sampler.
HALion 3 comes together with a front end so it can also be used stand alone. According to the forums, there's some issues left with this and certain audio cards, and preferences are not always remembered correctly, so I recommend to use brainspawn forte or a similar host instead.
There's a quite active support forum at http://forum.cubase.net.Read more