PPG free is a feature-limited version of the PPG WaveGenerator App. All editing functions are disabled, voice count is 5 maximum with a sample rate of 44.1kHz, but the user still has access to a selection of the library from the full version. To benefit from the full power of the PPG synth engine users will need to purchase the PPG WaveGenerator App from the App Store.
PPG WaveGenerator is the latest development from the inventor of wavetable synthesis, Wolfgang Palm. It is a next generation synthesizer, building on the heritage of the PPG Wave keyboards.
The PPG free comes with a multitude of wavetables. The sound material contains the typical sounds from the original PPG wave models, as well as many new sounds generated by versatile analysis tools and also hand edited waves.
One way is to transform a picture into a wavetable. You can load photos from your album or even shoot a picture with the camera.
The waves are collected in a grid of 256 fields, to which the 3 oscillators of the synthesizer have arbitrary and independent access.
In a 3D display you get a visual impression on how the sound evolves. You can turn around the 3D object and zoom in and out.
The Parameters of the synthesizer are divided into modules. It contains 3 oscillators with independent control of pitch and waveform. Each oscillator has its own glide, which gives a very dynamic sound.
With a sophisticated routing system, the diverse modulation sources can be connected to all important control points.
PPG free benefits all advantages of the iPad, like X/Y control after the key on event, or two finder gestures for spectrum control. After a key is hit, the tone may be modified and modulated in various ways, just by moving your finger.
A comfortable browser lets you sort the sound programs; you can categorize and rate them. Also complete custom sound banks may be created.
- 3D page, visualization of the wavetables, transformation from photos into wavetables.
- 256 waves assembled within a wave grid (Only editable in full version).
- 3 Audio Oscillators.
- 3 Noise generators, for audio and modulations.
- Classic 24 dB Lowpass Filter, combined with an overdrive simulation.
- Dual amplifier, for versatile control of 2 audio signals as well as panning.
- 13 Envelopes, for independent control of pitch, waveform, filter and noise gain and panning (Only editable in full version).
- 4 LFOs.
- Arpeggiator (playback only in this version).
- Delay/Reverb effect.
- Audio engine with 2 synthesis modes, and variable wave blending quality.
- Directly accessible context help inside the app.
- Use a camera, to shoot a picture and then transform it into a sound. (Only editable in full version).
- Using state of the art technologies, but still the versatile and efficient synthesis system.