|Type / Tags||Theremin|
Spook Keys is designed to re-create the sound of a 'Theremin' and can be controlled using either a MIDI keyboard or a mouse to drag the glowing spot across the 'chart' for more authentic 'Theremin' style play.
Spook Keys also includes the following features:
- Sine, sawtooth, triangle and pulse waves.
- Variable key in and out response.
- Variable LFO for vibrato and tremolo.
- Pan, chorus (detuning), stereo spread and glide controls.
- Filtered, ping-pong, stereo delay.
Reviewed By Modeler
August 11, 2006
pheeleep's review says it all; I just don't think this plug-in doesn't get enough credit. Spook Keys is as close to a Theremin as I ever could have hoped to get in a bit of software. Although I use it sparingly, it does its thing beautifully. I can't name another plug-in that can achieve this level of authenticity - I love it!
Simple, clear and rather groovy.
"Is that a real Theremin? It sounds like one!" - genuine quote from a listener after hearing one of my tracks with Spook Keys all over it. Says it all really!
Choice of four waveforms, tweakable to the nth degree. Fabulous!
Anyone with half a brain should know what they're doing with this, so doesn't really count.
Very few but that's all you need. The classic sounds are all there.
It's free; that's full marks regardless.
No issues - ever.Read more
Reviewed By pheeleep
January 23, 2005
This plugin is a whole lot of fun. If you like "space" sounds ( Think 1960's flying saucer sounds and sci fi sound effects ), you will really like spook keys...
When I use Spook keys I get into Sci Fi mode.
I am playing with it as I write this review and I just made it sound like a ghost.... hehehe... woooooooooo...wooooooooo.... so it could work for horror movie sound effects too!
I am using Spook keys in a Drum and Bass song I am working on at the moment and it fits in perfectly. You can definitely use it in your music as an instrument, not just as a source of sci fi sound effects..
I like the GUI. It is the Perfect size. I am not too crazy about the brown part ( a purplish blue would ne nicer ) but the rest looks pretty slick.
The only things that I think can be improved are:
1) I would love an option that keeps the little ball in position when you release the mouse button. Currently, if you release the mouse button, the little ball resets itself to it's initial position. Basically, I'd like to be able to choose how I want the ball to behave when releasing the mouse button.
2) The knobs don't respond very well at times. Sometimes they turn in the wrong direction.. the knobs seem a bit too sensitive..
Conclusion: I love this plugin and I hope you do too.
I put 5 for Documentation because it doesn't come with any, but since you don't really need any..Read more