If you were to ask anyone back in the late '70s and early '80s to name the Holy Grail of synthesizers, the most revered of them all was New England Digital's Synclavier. Its unique combination of additive synthesis and frequency modulation delivered a creative edge to the privileged few keyboardists, producers, film composers and sound designers who could afford systems that ranged from $13k to $400k.
Some of those rock-solid systems are still in use today. Arturia has recreated this highly revered hit maker in partnership with original programmer Cameron Jones, delivering the immense rich textures and creative palette of this vintage instrument, while dramatically improving it to let you blaze new musical trails today with sounds never heard before.
The unique sound of the Synclavier V comes from its blend of additive and FM synthesis, with control over 24 additive harmonics on both the carrier and modulation oscillators. Where the original instrument let you mix four uniquely programmed Partials Timbres in a Timbre preset, Arturia's recreation has twelve, boosting your creative possibilities exponentially. The Time Slice engine allows complex evolutions of the sound over time—even several minutes if you want.
Programming the Synclavier V is a study in elegance. Three different interface views let you choose the depth of control that best suits your needs.
- Software synthesizer playable through a MIDI keyboard.
- 450 presets sounds.
- Original programmer + original code = the original Synclavier synthesis engine.
- Powerful FM (frequency modulation) synthesis.
- Full additive synthesis:
- Time Slice engine for dynamic additive synthesis.
- Additive waves for both carrier and modulator waveforms.
- Expanded number of partials to 12 (the original had 4).
- Variable bit depths (original was only 8-bit).
- High-quality output effects.
- Algorithmic reverb.
- 50 presets from the original Synclavier library.
- VST, VST3, AU, AAX, and standalone operation.
- Support for Native Instruments NKS format.