TrainYourEars EQ Edition is an ear training software designed to help you understand equalizers and frequencies.
It speeds up your learning process exposing you to hundreds of random equalizations you have to guess. If you are wrong, it will let you know "how wrong", and it will let you hear both your guess and the correct answer.
You will develop a frequency memory which will allow you to connect the sound you imagine in your head with the needed parameters you have to dial to get it, quickly and easily than ever.
Why should you train?
The tools of the audio professional are hard to master. The ability to connect what is in your mind with the appropriate parameters is not an easy task. The steps involved should be:
- Listen to the actual source.
- Imagine in your mind the sound you want.
- Translation: think what tools and parameters you need to get what you have imagined.
- Go to your equipment and dial those parameters.
Sometimes people get lost in the translation step and start turning knobs without confidence. The more they work, the better they understand what those knobs really do, but it is a slow process.
People excel in this matter after many years, because it's learned experimenting with lots of different processes applied to lots of different sources. The purpose of this training is to open your ears to what each frequency sounds like and reduce the amount of time needed to acquire this knowledge.
You will expose your ears to those "lots of different processes" applied to "lots of different sources" but in a shorter period of time. In 15 minutes you can listen to 100 random equalizations, so training every day for a few weeks is equivalent to accumulating the experience of many years.
About the software
The software is very intuitive and easy to use. It has 3 screens:
- Player screen: This is where you choose the source of your training, which can be:
- An audio Player to play .wav, .aiff or .mp3 files.
- A noise generator with pink or white noise.
- A Live Input to route whatever you want, whether it is an external source to train with an iPod, radio, instrument… or an internal one using an audio router (like Soundflower) to train with your iTunes library, Spotify, Last.fm, etc.
- Options screen: This is where you configure your exercises. You can adjust:
- A selection of different frequencies, gains, Q factors, filter types or any combination of them.
- Up to 10 bands, each one with its own parameters.
- Several options to hear between the original and processed signals, like silence or distraction sounds.
- A "Random Player" function which jumps automatically to a new song/audio each time you start a new riddle.
- Training screen: This is where you can actually train!
- Listen carefully to the original signal.
- Click on "Start" to start the riddle and listen to the equalized signal for a few seconds.
- Think about what has changed and mark your guess using the graphic equalizer.
- Click on "Solution" to see if you were right or not. If you were wrong, see if you were near or not.
- Hear and compare the correct solution with your answer to learn from it.
- Finally, click on "Reset" to start over again.
If you want to know more about TrainYourEars EQ Edition please visit our website: www.trainyourears.com - there you can watch videos, view screenshots, read testimonials, etc.