"Vienna Instruments" is the Vienna Symphonic Library's plug-in virtual instrument engine that powers VSL's Vienna Instruments line of virtual instruments.
Vienna Instruments embody intelligent Performance Algorithms into an easy-to-use VST/AU/RTAS plug-in to orchestrate a vast array of samples. Hundreds of articulations can be combined in one Preset and on a single MIDI track. VSL's proprietary Performance Detection analyzes intervals, repeated notes, patterns, and even playing speed in real-time, and automatically summons the appropriate articulation or nuance.
You can use Vienna Instruments on your computer in three ways:
- As a plug-in in VSL's mixing and host software Vienna Ensemble (or another host application).
- As a plug-in in your sequencer (e.g. Cubase, Logic, Digital Performer, Pro Tools, etc.) or notation software (e.g. Sibelius), .
- As a simple stand-alone application.
Vienna Instruments collections include the player software and a set of sound samples. As such, the installation of Vienna Instruments is basically done in two parts. You need to install the Vienna Instruments software as well as the sample library of the given product. You only need to install the player software once, regardless of how many Vienna Instruments collections you are installing.
- Clearly arranged, easy to grasp, and fun to work with.
- Pre-configured Patches for intuitive playing with zero learning curve.
- Performance Detection algorithms integrated in Patches without the need to switch manually between articulations.
- Trigger comprehensive sets of articulations using hardware controllers (MIDI learn), key switches, and speed, without ever leaving the current MIDI channel.
- Layer Articulations for simultaneous or crossfade performances in one Preset.
- Easily design your own Instruments using Drag & Drop.
- Switch Velocity Crossfades and Release Control on/off on the fly.
- Powerful proprietary streaming audio engine, developed by Vienna Symphonic Library's engineering mastermind Christian Teuscher.
- Up to 3,456 Articulations (Patches) on one MIDI channel.
- RAM pre-load of up to 25,600 stereo samples (based on 1.6 GB available RAM under Windows; 48,000 samples on a 3 GB Mac G5).
- 64 stereo voices per instance streaming from disk.
- Extremely low load times (average 1 sec. per Patch) using pre-caching.
- Lossless real-time de-compression for using less RAM and hard disk resources.
- RAM Optimizer kicks unused samples out of RAM.