The WoodStepper is a sequencer/synthesizer/sampler having both audio and MIDI out.
The audio input sources can be the track audio, sampled audio (live/track recorded or from file) or the built-in VCO's.
The VCO notes can also be set by the Chordulator which finds chord notes in a live stream or recorded track.
WoodStepper consists of 4 independent 8-steps sequencers which can be linked to a 16, 24 or 32 steps sequencer.
Each sequencer can independently be set to Synth mode.
So WoodStepper can be used in any combinations of sequencers, synths and looper/samplers.
Each step can also send 4 MIDI messages (note on, CC, ...) to 2 MIDI channels.
The audio part for each sequencer has a pitch (down) shifter, (Moog lowpass) filter with A(D)SR envelope, saturator, amplitude A(D)SR envelope and delay line which can all be set independently per step.
The VCO notes can be set by MIDI input and WoodStepper has a function to limit the notes produced by VCO + pitch shifters to a specified key and interval scale.
The app can be used stand-alone (device audio input and output) or as a plugin in a DAW.
It now also supports Ableton Link to synchronise tempo and beat phase with other Ableton Link enabled apps.
- IOS plugin types: AUv3, IAA and stand-alone app.
- MacOS plugin types: AU, AAX, VST and stand-alone app.
- Has 4 independent 8-steps sequencers.
- Each of the 4 sequencers can be set to Synth mode, the steps can then be used to automate parameters while playing.
- Sequencers can be linked to form 16, 24, or 32 steps sequencer(s).
- Each sequencer can have a different timing.
- Steps can be disabled for non 4/4 patterns.
- Each step can send up to 4 MIDI messages (+ all previous notes off) on 2 MIDI channels.
- MIDI note-on values can follow a MIDI received ground note.
- Audio sources can be the track audio, sampled audio or 3 VCO's (per sequencer).
- Sampling (audio coming live or from the DAW track) can be armed (per sequencer) with a button or a MIDI in CC. .
- Samples can also be loaded from file (sample files should be in the WoodStepper iCloud folder).
- Each sequencer has it's own gain, clipping led and brick-wall limiter.
- VCOs have the usual waveforms and can be modulated in various ways.
- VCO frequency/note value can be set with a MIDI in note-on.
- Full Polyphonic mode sends 4 subsequent note-ons to the 4 sequencers/synths.
- Para-polyphonic mode (per sequencer) sends notes 2&3 to the sequencer/synth VCO's 2&3, giving a maximum of 12 voices. .
- Each sequencer/synth can set the range of receiving MIDI notes (which allows for up to 4 split keyboard regions).
- Each step has a pitch down shifter.
- Pitch shifters have a glide control.
- Pitch shifters can be set to a random value (out of a list of scales).
- Pitch values can be harmonically locked to the Just Scale or the Equally Tempered Scale.
- VCO + Pitch can be limited to a specified key + interval scale (e.g. C Major Pentatonic).
- Each step has a 4-pole Moog Lowpass filter with resonance and ASR envelope.
- Steps have an additional high-pass filter and a saturation control.
- All steps have an ASR amplitude envelope and a step gain.
- Each step has its own delay line with independent timing, feedback, and filtering.
- Step audio and delay can be panned independently per step.
- Sequencers can be started manually, started with the DAW transport, start after receiving a MIDI note or start audio gated. .
- Sequencers can be stopped manually or after a number of bars have been played.
- A "Play 1 Step" button allows to fine tune step settings.
- An "All Steps" button allows to set the same parameter value in all steps.
- Has a global Dry-Wet, Input gain and Output gain control.
- Presets can be stored in iCloud Drive (makes them available on all your devices).
- Presets can be switched with MIDI Program Changes.
- Major controls can be set with MIDI CC messages.
- Ableton Link can synchronise tempo, phase and start-stop with other Ableton Link enabled apps.