Cherry Audio has released Minimode, their homage to Dr. Robert A. Moog and the 1971 Minimoog Model D. Here's what they say:
Minimode is an absolutely authentic emulation of the granddaddy of all portable synthesizers that defined the sound of Kraftwerk, Herbie Hancock, Rick Wakeman, Pink Floyd, Parliament, Gary Numan, and countless others. And as part of our month-long BMAM celebration, Cherry Audio will be donating a portion of profits from Minimode to the Bob Moog Foundation, the non-profit organization dedicated to Dr. Moog's legacy of work at the intersection of music, science, and imagination.
Minimode was conceived as the tribute to the original instrument. We focused on a single principle: absolute authenticity. In association with DSP master and frequent collaborator Mark Barton (MRB), we studied and measured every nuance, every curve, and every response of the audio. Even the Minimode interface is a meticulous recreation of the Minimoog, from the maple cabinet and textured surface to the unmistakable "Cosmo" knobs and switches. We avoided the temptation to add extra features, such as additional LFOs or effects, which might distract from the spirit and vibe of the classic Model D. Instead, Minimode portrays the pure, raw, powerful sound and feel of the classic original.
Whether you're seeking monstrous leads, funky basslines, or warm atmospheric pads, Minimode has you covered. In fact, the resulting tones are so mighty that we could not resist adding one particular enhancement - if one classic synth voice isn't enough, we've made it easy to dial in two, four, eight, or sixteen polyphonic voices guaranteed to bring the house down.
- Faithful virtual analog emulation of the Model D.
- All features of the original in a realistic interface exactly as the original.
- Three oscillators with triangle, sawtooth-triangular, ramp sawtooth, square, wide rectangular, and narrow rectangular waveforms.
- Classic four-pole, 24dB/octave ladder filter.
- Feedback and Sidechain, replicating the original instrument's External Input function with super accurately replicated overdrive characteristics.
- Fully programmable with over 250 factory preset patches created by pro sound designers.
- Monophonic and polyphonic modes: 1, 2, 4, 8, or 16 voices.
- Super accurate modeling of inherent oscillator mixer and VCA overdrive characteristics.
- MIDI Polyphonic Expression (MPE) support for expressive performances using MPE-compatible controllers.
- Complete MIDI control and DAW automation for all controls, with easy-to-use MIDI learn.
- Preset and Global level MIDI mapping.
Price: $39 (List $59).