Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Sorry I have not been in the thread here as much as I normally am.

Been testing 2.23 getting it ready for release.

I should be able to provide some better responses shortly.

Kwurqx wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:27 am @Fathomsynth

Today I was trying to figure out what the FM capabilities of Fathomsynth actually are. Is it even possible to create/emulate Yamaha DX style multiple operator algorithms? With multiple carrier/modulator combinations? And is an FM feedback loop even possible?

In other words: can I use the matrix as an FM matrix? Connecting oscilator outputs to inputs? I allready noticed that a feedback loop can not be "drawn" in the matrix. Not from/to the same oscillator (obviously conflicting with the current GUI usage/design) and not between oscillators. You'd probably need at least a sample delay on "re-entry" to determine the start and direction of the signal flow.

Another complication: In a full (or half) FM matrix, each operator could be both a carrier (output to amp) and a modulator (just modulating one or more other operators and/or itself). This could be solved by sending the oscilator "volume" to the amp (or next stage) and the modulation amount to the (next) connected FM modulation input(s).

There are probably some holes and/or inconsistencies in my FM proze..but FM has so many unique characteristics and possibilities. I'd love to have some (more) in Fathomsynth.

FM (actually most often Phase Modulation) is currently dominated by Yamaha in hardware and Native Instrument FM8 in software.

Some practical implementations may he derived from the free and open source FM (PM) synthesizer plugins:
- Dexed FM (a Yamah DX7 emulation)
- Oxe FM (a free FM matrix implementation)

It is is my understanding that FM/PM is computationally quite cheap...so some extra FM features are not necessarely bound to bog down the whole synth.

The bandlimiting already implemented in Fathomsynth (currently except for the FM part of the oscillators?) will probably also help restrain the digital artefacts and aliasing often associated with FM due to the complex sidebands and frequency mirroring (I hope)

I agree here. I think FM could be Fathoms strongest aspect. I too am a bit confused as to how to modulate one audio componet fm oscillator with another. It works great within one audio comonent. I too have tried to set up a simple 4 operator arrangemenand and couldnt get the results I expected. Also maybe buildng in a keyscaler feature into the FM oscillator as it is almost always necessary in FM.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

FathomSynth wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:47 am Sorry I have not been in the thread here as much as I normally am.

Hey, no apologies are neccesary or expected. Keep your priorities where you think they are needed. I (as do many) prefer a stable new release way to/over a swift (or any) reaction to a post.

The KVR forum storage servers that provide us with this medium of asynchronous communication are probably blessed with a near impeccable memory and near infinite patience.

The Fractal Reverb demo reminds me of Valhalla Shimmer.

teilo wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:19 pm The Fractal Reverb demo reminds me of Valhalla Shimmer.
Where is it? (the demo)
Is it on the "listen" page of the fathomsynth site?
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

jbraner wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:20 pm
teilo wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:19 pm The Fractal Reverb demo reminds me of Valhalla Shimmer.
Where is it? (the demo)
It's linked on page #1 of this thread. :party:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Will bump again ,
Clicking the cogwheel /settings button does nothing over here
Fathom 2.22.0 32 bit

Also ,with the wavedraw oscillator there is a filter page ,
I assume this filter is altering the partials directly , why not take it a step further and let us create our own filter curves .
I really don't get all the hype surrounding fathom , it's does some things but doesn't really excell at anything
No envelopes for controlling the partials , FM routing is kinda half done
The only interesting thing is the additive spectrum oscillator
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Settings are only available for the Pro version. You can't open the settings page for the mono version.

I anticipated that people might object to this, but there needs to be some reason to buy the product.

Fathom Mono already has much more features than most free synths.

However, I would have to agree that the buttons should not be there if they do nothing, never found the time yet to fix that.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:49 pm I really don't get all the hype surrounding fathom , it's does some things but doesn't really excell at anything
Kudos to Everett for being thick-skinned to outspoken criticism. 8)
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

tonedef71 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:14 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:49 pm I really don't get all the hype surrounding fathom , it's does some things but doesn't really excell at anything
Kudos to Everett for being thick-skinned to outspoken criticism. 8)
:tu:

Fathom is sort of like the P51 Mustang was in WWII, it was second best at everything which is why it was ultimately unbeatable.

Also, let's not forget that Fathom is $25 not $225.

Also, later this year when the Analog Emulator comes out, things will change dramatically since on one has heard anything quite like this before.

FathomSynth wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:07 am Also, later this year when the Analog Emulator comes out, things will change dramatically since on one has heard anything quite like this before.
Looking forward to that. Bravo Everett! :tu:

FathomSynth wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:47 am Sorry I have not been in the thread here as much as I normally am.

Actions speak louder than words, and Fathom speaks loudly :wink:
We gots both and more, that's what separates
the devs seeking perfection, from the one's
happy just getting by.
Cheers

zzz00m wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:31 pm
jbraner wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:20 pm
Where is it? (the demo)
It's linked on page #1 of this thread. :party:
Aah - thanks!
I didn't even realise all that stuff was on page one - I'm a newcomer here, and haven't been anywhere near page one ;)
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:55 am
Kwurqx wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:27 am @Fathomsynth

Today I was trying to figure out what the FM capabilities of Fathomsynth actually are. Is it even possible to create/emulate Yamaha DX style multiple operator algorithms? With multiple carrier/modulator combinations? And is an FM feedback loop even possible?

In other words: can I use the matrix as an FM matrix? Connecting oscilator outputs to inputs? I allready noticed that a feedback loop can not be "drawn" in the matrix. Not from/to the same oscillator (obviously conflicting with the current GUI usage/design) and not between oscillators. You'd probably need at least a sample delay on "re-entry" to determine the start and direction of the signal flow.

Another complication: In a full (or half) FM matrix, each operator could be both a carrier (output to amp) and a modulator (just modulating one or more other operators and/or itself). This could be solved by sending the oscilator "volume" to the amp (or next stage) and the modulation amount to the (next) connected FM modulation input(s).

There are probably some holes and/or inconsistencies in my FM proze..but FM has so many unique characteristics and possibilities. I'd love to have some (more) in Fathomsynth.

FM (actually most often Phase Modulation) is currently dominated by Yamaha in hardware and Native Instrument FM8 in software.

Some practical implementations may he derived from the free and open source FM (PM) synthesizer plugins:
- Dexed FM (a Yamah DX7 emulation)
- Oxe FM (a free FM matrix implementation)

It is is my understanding that FM/PM is computationally quite cheap...so some extra FM features are not necessarely bound to bog down the whole synth.

The bandlimiting already implemented in Fathomsynth (currently except for the FM part of the oscillators?) will probably also help restrain the digital artefacts and aliasing often associated with FM due to the complex sidebands and frequency mirroring (I hope)

I agree here. I think FM could be Fathoms strongest aspect. I too am a bit confused as to how to modulate one audio componet fm oscillator with another. It works great within one audio comonent. I too have tried to set up a simple 4 operator arrangemenand and couldnt get the results I expected. Also maybe buildng in a keyscaler feature into the FM oscillator as it is almost always necessary in FM.
FM routings and the inherent controls necessary are quite complex. Building a way to achieve this in Fathom will demand a lot of work, IMO. I would better prefer Everett to concentrate in sampleing and sample related features, like analysis and resynthesis. They are easier to develop, easier to include, and will quickly give more to the user.

We already have two excellent DX7 like synths available (Arturia DX7 V and Native Instruments FM8, plust a plethora of non-DX7 synths, but still excelellent in FM, like Blue II, Rhino, Sytrus, Toxic Biohazard, Octopus, etc. They cover FM in all aspects imaginable.

However, we don't have that many that do analysis, resynthesis and granular yet (granular synthesis have seen several offers lately).
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”