Vangurd V2 - whats new

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i wasnt a big fan of the original, i prefered the junox2 at the time (and got vanguard lite free as part of the deal as i recall), but both are quite dated now, tho good for what they were...so, whats coming in v2?

Kriminal wrote:i wasnt a big fan of the original, i prefered the junox2 at the time (and got vanguard lite free as part of the deal as i recall), but both are quite dated now, tho good for what they were...so, whats coming in v2?
You know what's coming next Dave and it ain't Vanguard 2 before it :hihi: :hihi:

Rob

Syncrosoft as Nexus :( so I won't try it

kyodeejay wrote:Syncrosoft as Nexus :( so I won't try it
really? the old Vanguard just has a serial didnt it?

with all due respect I do not understand why people say a synth is dated? This especially happens with software synths.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote:with all due respect I do not understand why people say a synth is dated? This especially happens with software synths.
well, from my point of view, both (junox and vangaurd) sound like old synths anyway (naturally of course they would, they are va emulations to a certain degree) so they sound 'dated'

Kriminal wrote:
kyodeejay wrote:Syncrosoft as Nexus :( so I won't try it
really? the old Vanguard just has a serial didnt it?
Yes. I emailed them few weeks ago asking for a Vanguard Lite update and they told me they were working in Vanguard 2, so I asked for the copy protection. So I decided that I won't update my Vanguard Lite. There is too many plugins without those "malware" copy protection.

And yes, I know some of you love to sell your usb port and system agility to solve developers piracy problems, but I think it isn't my problem and I won't pay to solve it. Anyway syncrosoft has been cracked months ago. There is too many good plugins without crap that deserve my respect.

ATS wrote:with all due respect I do not understand why people say a synth is dated? This especially happens with software synths.
+1

well i hope this post doesn't blow up in my face, but "apparently" :hihi:

no, really: for the time i was using the dongle - if you can get over the bugs in the control panel that happen once in a while - once it's running there were no real problems. there is no cpu hit due to the protection except inside the application using it, and only at some times. the protection doesn't run constantly, it's more like an inspector which only checks certain parts and at certain times.

the application is in control of when and where this happens! (so, not possible to cause dropouts or anything like that unless it's a bug in the application)

unless you hate usb sticks, you should consider software for it's own benefits and faults, not based upon whether it's using a dongle.

although i agree - protections suck - on the other hand people get software for free when they could have paid for it all the time. it's human/monkey nature: free banana, i take it.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote:unless you hate usb sticks
I do. I already have to unplug my midi controller to use my printer. Not going to use a USB port for copy protection for a stinking plugin, though buying V2 might otherwise be a no-brainer, having grown up with V1.

Lightwave (a 3D graphics program) requires a USB dongle, and I have a set of USB ports that are broken loose from my PC case to show for it, having knocked that damned thing with my knee.

Does anyone actual know anything about this new VST, or are threads on this subject going to revolve around anything but the topic, just wondering.

reFX Vanguard going Syncrosoft??? I Don't think so? I'll stick with v1.8 if that's the case.

i know all about it, to a certain point. i wrote the complete synthesizer last year - but it's now being rewritten, mike put it as "from scratch". so i can't tell you what would be in the new vanguard 2-2.

i could tell you all about my design, but that may have nothing to do with what this 2-2 version becomes.

i actually did three different versions trying to meet a moving target. first was "like xhip only better", then "able to import vanguard 1 presets - but better", then "having every feature known to man, but not too complicated!!!"

it was pretty much "let's copy the virus" for the main parts.

things i tried to work on a lot were modmatrix - everything modulates everything. for example, the lfo should be able to modulate another lfo's rate, while that modulates the sustain level for an envelope, which modulates the first lfo's waveshape in a feedback loop.

i got xmod/sync working fairly well, but never completed it so it's full of nasty buggy behavior and i bet it won't be used. it was an attempt to do true through-zero modulation so it sounded exactly like a DX- synthesizer, not your average xmod. it was limited by the need to produce a triangle/saw morph wave, as funny as that is. i'm working on a better implementation now that avoids those problems by just not generating triangle morph waves.

the "analog oscillator modulation" thing i've ranted about several times on this forum was in there.

another thing i put a lot of extra work into was a large effects collection - virtually every effect you could ever think of, although it lacked a few things here and there. my design had route-anything-to-anything with feedback. for example, one envelope follower could be applied to generate a modulation value, which then was used to change the frequency settings for the phaser or flanger, or whatever. the delay could be fed into a distortion, then filter, then limiter and back into itself for endless morphing filter-delay effects. various other stuff like that. the effects thing was changed while i was still there, so 99% sure you won't see that. it should be more like an ordinary insert chain instead, i think.

the mod matrix could have functions applied like sin(x * y) and a whole lot of other functions, i think more than 25. that also supported feedback so it was possible to set up some system which would create chaotic modulations. i did a simulation of a tb-303's envelopes and accent in there which was quite ok.

it had pretty much every type of filter, envelope, lfo and so on available at once. (i'm guilty of the every-lfo part, but the envelope part i wish were just an ordinary ADSR without "makes you toast and paints the fence" technology, i can't take credit for that)

as i said though - that's probably not what you'll get.

is that good enough to satisfy your craving to be teased? of course it's all nonsense so you'll just have to wait and see.

insert five different synthesizers into a blender, then paste various parts back together and you might get it, i don't know.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

Wow,

are you working on anything new yourself, your ideas on a VST sound fantastic.

yes, i'm working on several products at the moment, but before those are released i'm updating my effects set (basically re-writing from scratch the same damn effects, it's driving me nuts) and xhip which are both free.

one thing i believe is that although all these features are undeniably awesome, the other end of the spectrum is very important too. a simple instrument that does it's job very well is better than a complex instrument which fails.

opening most vst plugins just makes me want to give up, every time i do it. so i'm working on solving that and making synthesizers and plugins fun to use instead.

Return to “Instruments”