Waldorf Largo

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Largo

chk071 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:43 am
VariKusBrainZ wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:09 am Komplexer has way better stock presets IMO and generally impresses my ears more than Largo and the interface looks unnecessarily cluttered thanks to the fake chrome knobs, plus I hate the red text.
TBH, I preferred Komplexer as well in terms of sound (it has that HW vintage quality, like the older Waldorf synths... somewhat of a "airy" sound). I got over it though. :) Komplexer is 32-bit only, doesn't even work well with wrappers (GUI issues, and crashes with jBridge), and I always had to reinstall it on everly half yearls big Windows update as well. Not worth it anymore. You can get reasonably close with Largo, even though it sounds a bit different (more top end, filters sound different etc.).
Im on Bitwig so can use those none 64bit plugs :)
The only problem with Win10 updates I had was having to re-input the serial into the registry.

I bought a MicroQ when they hit the scene.
It broke just after the warrently period. Processor issue.Id hardly used it :(
Still have it in the loft.
Immaculate but bricked.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

:?

I nearly bought a microQ some years ago on Ebay, when the prices were in the 230-250 € range. Wish I had bought it, as the prices really only go up and up now.

On the other hand, as you say, you never know how much maintainance there will be necessary. Or... the device breaks down completely.

ATN69 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:04 pm
Hermetech Mastering wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:53 am
ATN69 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:25 am I almost regret buying my 32" , 4K computer monitor. Some plugins including Largo is tiny. I been searching for a way to enlarge Largo. Can the GUI be enlarged? Even the old DCAM synth squad have this option.

Largo sounds great though so I don't regret buying it.
See my posts on the previous two pages. 55" 4k here and completely unreadable from 3m back, BUT word is they are working on a scaling GUI update, so fingers crossed...
I hope it will happen :tu:
Have you considered running your DAW using display scaling? 4K is a lot of pixels.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Global scaling at 225% here for Windows, still can't see the Largo GUI.

abi wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:29 am
Shiek927 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:08 pm
abi wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:49 pm @ATN69

absolutely! just wanted to warn people because it seems like it wont happen very soon!

I also hope that this sale gives Waldorf a good financial boost! I only used a microq (which was borrowed back then) for a brief period and I think that Largo represents a certain modern Waldorf character (it has been more than a decade since I had the microq here). The elicenser and maybe the cpu demands (in 2009) kept this from becoming a soft synth favourite.
I'm planning on purchasing a MicroQ later this year. I much prefer the vintage character and the Q/MicroQ is one of my favorite pieces of hardware :D
Hm, from my memory there is no such a BIG difference between Largo and MicroQ character wise. What I was trying to say was that Largo reminds me quite a bit of MicroQ. Also the Build quality of the knobs on the MicroQ is said to be mediocre. I personally can’t find reasons to invest in 20 year old digital hardware when there is a virtual equivalent at a ridiculous price tag like 29 dollars. But that´s just me.

If you live in Germany by chance send me a pm, a friend told me he wants to get rid of his MicroQ.
I had the MicroQ once and it absolutely blew Komplexer out of the water. There is definitely no software equal to the Q/MicroQ available today.

arcsyn fills the microQ hole and i will die on that hill. largo is almost opposite of microQ. largo is one of the most ultra digital shiny things i've ever heard- like scrapping metal. microQ as all about the MUSH.

Dasheesh wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:32 pm arcsyn fills the microQ hole and i will die on that hill. largo is almost opposite of microQ. largo is one of the most ultra digital shiny things i've ever heard- like scrapping metal. microQ as all about the MUSH.
Agree to disagree! It's super lush, analog-sounding and probably the best sounding VA I've heard, but it's really easy for it to sound klang-y and metallic. It also sounds like it has this low-frequency bump and mid-frequency presence, so it's a very punchy, present and digital sounding synth

What's up with the distortion effect? It seems to make signals get quieter rather than louder. Have the Waldorf guys never hooked up a distortion pedal to their synths before. To be honest the whole effects section is kinda quirky.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Edit: Nevermind, thought you mean the drive knob in the filter section.

v1o wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:53 pm
ATN69 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:04 pm
Hermetech Mastering wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:53 am
ATN69 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:25 am I almost regret buying my 32" , 4K computer monitor. Some plugins including Largo is tiny. I been searching for a way to enlarge Largo. Can the GUI be enlarged? Even the old DCAM synth squad have this option.

Largo sounds great though so I don't regret buying it.
See my posts on the previous two pages. 55" 4k here and completely unreadable from 3m back, BUT word is they are working on a scaling GUI update, so fingers crossed...
I hope it will happen :tu:
Have you considered running your DAW using display scaling? 4K is a lot of pixels.
I tried everything I can think of. The effective viewing area will be quite small if I am to find a setting that works. I think using a second monitor is the best option and luckily the old monitor I have still works. I just need to re-arrange my setup to physically find space for it :wink:
Last edited by ATN69 on Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Shiek927 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:48 am
Agree to disagree! It's super lush, analog-sounding and probably the best sounding VA I've heard, but it's really easy for it to sound klang-y and metallic. It also sounds like it has this low-frequency bump and mid-frequency presence, so it's a very punchy, present and digital sounding synth

so its analog-sounding AND digital sounding? I was expecting gorgeous warmth and organic presence* but it sounds very sharp and in your face which would be great for EDM rather than old fashioned synth music.

*like Frank Zappa said, writing about music is like dancing about architecture. The same goes for describing the sound of virtual synths :hihi:
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

chk071 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:43 am
VariKusBrainZ wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:09 am Komplexer has way better stock presets IMO and generally impresses my ears more than Largo and the interface looks unnecessarily cluttered thanks to the fake chrome knobs, plus I hate the red text.
TBH, I preferred Komplexer as well in terms of sound (it has that HW vintage quality, like the older Waldorf synths... somewhat of a "airy" sound). I got over it though. :) Komplexer is 32-bit only, doesn't even work well with wrappers (GUI issues, and crashes with jBridge), and I always had to reinstall it on everly half yearls big Windows update as well. Not worth it anymore. You can get reasonably close with Largo, even though it sounds a bit different (more top end, filters sound different etc.).
I remember making the move from Komplexer and I remember getting pretty close in general and the extra features of Largo made it pretty easy to sell my Komplexer license.

I still love Largo. There’s a lot of great wavetable synths out these days, but Largo has a character where a lot of them just sound generic.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

here are some sounds i created.

https://soundcloud.com/abiuslu/largo-sounds

i think it sounds great and i´m having great fun learning it. compared to something like zebra the options seemed limited at first but this is a really nice deep machine. in the above presets i mostly used just one osc of the three, no unison and no layers. no internal fx just some delay from valhalla delay.

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:53 am There’s a lot of great wavetable synths out these days, but Largo has a character where a lot of them just sound generic.
+ many

Got Largo few days ago, already a huge fan
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Picked this up for $29 at the weekend. Sounds good on first review but wish the GUI was scalable and the preset browser by type doesn’t seem to function?
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Return to “Instruments”