BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (Apple M1 ready, 4K)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

chk071 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:35 am I know that this post is kind of old, and you're not a super fan of the idea :), but, would it be possible to revise this request? The thing is, when you add 5 keys to have 10 keys in total for the key select lane, it would be possible to use BlueARP like a "classic" arpeggiator, being able to use all 10 fingers. I sometimes definitely use both hands for arpeggios, when I use "normal" arpeggiators, which work in the way like when you use the BlueARP with the key select feature. It would be great to have, IMO. I love BlueARP for its more step sequencer like approach, but, I sometimes always have a need for "regular" arpeggiator funcionality.
Hope you won't mind me weighing in on behalf or Graywolf, since he's really busy & this topic actually worth discussion indeed.

Before delving into thinking adding new lanes, features or changes, it is crucial now to know that current BlueARP's (plugin) GUI structure matches & must keeps matching BlueARP's (the hardware) visual feedback & parameters. As well as making future proof updates seamless process, knowing that BlueARP now is being used inside Unify (by PluginGuru) under license agreement, and that's not the only case. From now on, users of BlueARP of any form, must be able to go back & forth across BlueARP forms.

Now let's get back to "traditional arp note cascade scanning" request and how to implement it.

Technically, what we want to achieve is to have an input detector that scans pressed keys up to 10, and then applies needed function & filtering/sorting.

What we have now in BlueARP, regardless of step seq matrix that shows (K1 to K5)
BlueARP seq matrix.jpg
this is not the real challenge actually "more on that in a couple of paragraphs". The limiting barrier is under the [Key input pre-filter]
BlueARP key input filter.jpg
These 5 slots are the max range of input / output notes in BlueARP, not only that, but they make the backbone of the algorithm (to define scale, chord, calculate sorting).

However, with new revamped algo of still unreleased version of BlueARP, changing things is not going to cause huge mess :D i.e. it is possible to define 5 extra keys :hyper: for special purpose use of traditional arp.

Theoretically it is possible to add 10 input keys, and visibly shown as two groups of 5-slot cascading e.g.

In keys pre-filter: (C1, D1, F1, G1, A1)
then followed by
: (C2, D2, F2, G2, A2)
With that we have K1, K2, ..., K10 :party: well not really.
On seq matrix, there's no room to host these new K6, K7, ..., K10

But it is not a bad news, the other seq matrix view [step type matrix], can squeeze in new modifier lane.
BlueARP step type matrix.jpg
To achieve the traditional arp cascade scanning, it is like [Chord type] but obviously broken to single note at a time.
Thinking reasonably, we can use the already exist [Missing keys substitution] parameter to specify what happens if only 1 note is being held one, should it repeatedly played at same interval, or bounce octaves, or what happens to playback sequence if we fill step type with [Cascade] for two slots, then [Norm], then back to [Cascade] should the note sorting starts all over again, or from where it was in previous slot. etc. Interesting :D

Having said that, clearly it is lots of thinking, time to translate thoughts to codes, and hours of testing. Yes this is a nice creative feature, but yes this is also a freeware product. If users want this feature, it is greatly helpful to share ideas here as well as support the development with ideas & donations. Maybe it can happen indeed, maybe it is better & easier to make another plugin. Let's see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks for your reply. :)

So, if I get you right, it's possible that BlueARP will get what I was talking about in a future update, if I get you right?
phreaque wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:23 pm However, with new revamped algo of still unreleased version of BlueARP, changing things is not going to cause huge mess :D i.e. it is possible to define 5 extra keys :hyper: for special purpose use of traditional arp.
I understand that you say that what I'm asking for is maybe easier to achieve in another plugin, but, we're all lazy guys, right. :) Why use several plugins, when you maybe get all the functionality that you need in one plugin.

The thing is, I really like the approach of BlueARP, which is more like a step sequencer, or the arpeggiators found in Sylenth1 and Spire, which are awesome. I.e. being able to quickly change between the "regular" arpeggiator function, and a step sequencer approach. Being able to play 10 notes (same as your fingers...) IMO would take it to the level where I really don't need other arpeggiator plugins to achieve what I want to. And, I do make use of that sometimes, holding 8 notes or something, to play an arpeggio.

At the moment, the situation is as follows for me: When I use a traditional arp, I often miss the ability to easily dial in a pattern. And, with step sequencer, I sometimes miss just being able to play an arpeggio of the notes that I'm playing. BlueARP more or less does both, which is great, but, it would be great to use it like a traditional arpeggiator as well.

YMMV. Just my opinion.

My pleasure :)

Yes, adding new feature like this is not impossible :) actually everything is possible, it is only we tend to consider profit, time & efforts with what can be done to finally decide what's possible and what's too much tiresome to be possible :D

I'd not say we are lazy but it is much more organized & handy to have access to few amount of tools to make music. This surely helps creativity, of course the same reflects on the devs generally, they prefer handling improvement & bug fixing of 1 product rather than 2.

Agreed Sylenth1, Spire & some U-He's plugins have inspiring onboard arpeggiators, and it would feel totally wrong if tiny stuff added to them :D

Interesting to know about how using BlueARP, the fact is BlueARP is versatile enough that every musician uses it in different way.
I believe, yes having this new modifier is the last step to make this tool bridging the gap between pattern, step, seq / arp.

chk071 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:48 pmAt the moment, the situation is as follows for me: When I use a traditional arp, I often miss the ability to easily dial in a pattern. And, with step sequencer, I sometimes miss just being able to play an arpeggio of the notes that I'm playing. BlueARP more or less does both, which is great, but, it would be great to use it like a traditional arpeggiator as well.

YMMV. Just my opinion.
Yeah, BlueARP doesn't function as a traditional arp... good to hear that the possibility is at least in consideration... previously Graywolf said no...

Well just to add a feature request to that feature request (a hat on a hat) it’d be nice to be able to have two chosen sequences and a ratio so that x in y times it runs sequence 1 and (y-x) in y times plays sequence 2. Or have a completely random switching option too. If either sequence had a ‘normal arp’ option too all the better.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

pdxindy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:06 pm BlueARP doesn't function as a traditional arp... good to hear that the possibility is at least in consideration... previously Graywolf said no...
I'm not saying he's going to say yes though :)
Will post an update on that, don't worry.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:45 pm Well just to add a feature request to that feature request (a hat on a hat) it’d be nice to be able to have two chosen sequences and a ratio so that x in y times it runs sequence 1 and (y-x) in y times plays sequence 2. Or have a completely random switching option too. If either sequence had a ‘normal arp’ option too all the better.
Can you please replicate this (using any tools) and prepare a video?

phreaque wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:59 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:45 pm Well just to add a feature request to that feature request (a hat on a hat) it’d be nice to be able to have two chosen sequences and a ratio so that x in y times it runs sequence 1 and (y-x) in y times plays sequence 2. Or have a completely random switching option too. If either sequence had a ‘normal arp’ option too all the better.
Can you please replicate this (using any tools) and prepare a video?
Not a bug report, a feature request

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:02 pm Not a bug report, a feature request
I know, I want to see what's happening, it is hard to describe the Mona Lisa over a phone call :)

phreaque wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:57 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:06 pm BlueARP doesn't function as a traditional arp... good to hear that the possibility is at least in consideration... previously Graywolf said no...
I'm not saying he's going to say yes though :)
Will post an update on that, don't worry.
Thanks man. :tu:

phreaque wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:14 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:02 pm Not a bug report, a feature request
I know, I want to see what's happening, it is hard to describe the Mona Lisa over a phone call :)
If I could record a video of a currently non existent feature I’d do it.

I’ll try and do a diagram or something.

Are you safe?

Hi,

I'm having a really weird sync problem with BlueARP. It's drifting out of sync.Windows 10 / Cubase 10.5 & Cubase 6.5.

It happens with both versions.

https://sndup.net/96p9
This isn't what you think.

Tevez wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:54 pm By the way, I fixed the issue "Accept only Chords" by using Midi Translator Pro.
When playing 1 or 2 notes, my DAW doesn't receive them.
If I add a 3rd note, all three notes get sent at exactly the same time.
The generated Arps by BlueARP always sound smooth now!
Just what I need! I need this feature too. Is there a vst plugin for this feature?
Thank you!

skank wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:01 am Hi,

I'm having a really weird sync problem with BlueARP. It's drifting out of sync.Windows 10 / Cubase 10.5 & Cubase 6.5.

It happens with both versions.

https://sndup.net/96p9
No clue what's happening by listening to audio. However, does this issue happens with factory presets?

chk071 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:48 pm Thanks for your reply. :)

So, if I get you right, it's possible that BlueARP will get what I was talking about in a future update, if I get you right?
phreaque wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:23 pm However, with new revamped algo of still unreleased version of BlueARP, changing things is not going to cause huge mess :D i.e. it is possible to define 5 extra keys :hyper: for special purpose use of traditional arp.
I understand that you say that what I'm asking for is maybe easier to achieve in another plugin, but, we're all lazy guys, right. :) Why use several plugins, when you maybe get all the functionality that you need in one plugin.

The thing is, I really like the approach of BlueARP, which is more like a step sequencer, or the arpeggiators found in Sylenth1 and Spire, which are awesome. I.e. being able to quickly change between the "regular" arpeggiator function, and a step sequencer approach. Being able to play 10 notes (same as your fingers...) IMO would take it to the level where I really don't need other arpeggiator plugins to achieve what I want to. And, I do make use of that sometimes, holding 8 notes or something, to play an arpeggio.

At the moment, the situation is as follows for me: When I use a traditional arp, I often miss the ability to easily dial in a pattern. And, with step sequencer, I sometimes miss just being able to play an arpeggio of the notes that I'm playing. BlueARP more or less does both, which is great, but, it would be great to use it like a traditional arpeggiator as well.

YMMV. Just my opinion.
So to refresh that topic - the current limitation why I can't extend keySelect lane to 10 keys is because I have a bit-matrix there, one byte for a step, to make polyphonic keys possible, and 10 keys won't fit. In theory, I can consider adding a modifier to keySelect lane in the future to have 10-keys mode, but it will be monophonic only. Will that fit you or you need polyphonic as well?
I mean the same way as the existing modifier on GATE STEP lane (switchable to Channel per step)

Return to “Instruments”