Spire Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Elektro Synth 1.5 Spire Presets Spire

mitchiemasha wrote:
recursive one wrote:Here is an example of a simple plucky patch in Virus
Can you do my a favour... I have a Virus TI and a lot of my pluck sounds are ruined due to what we've named Unison Strumming. When using unison and an envelope, the timing in the pluck of each unison is randomly off. A tightness control would be a solution. This may also be what is contributing to the 'fuller' sound to the Virus over Spire that you are mentioning... Perhaps Spire could look into adding this as a feature themselves, although I don't like it. I prefer my plucks to be super tight.

Here's is an example of it... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzUqoU ... hpWkk/view

Could you try it on your Virus. On the Virus forum, only one other person joined in, they helped and discovered it to be the Unison. I'd originally thought it was the layers of the Hypersaw.

Simply use a Saw wave, add unison and a really tight envelope. The more unison, the worse it gets. If you can find away to tighten it up, you'd be a star.
Thanks for bringing this up, I'll investigate this. I don't often use this kind of plucks but I think I remember something like the example you've posted going on in some of the pluck patches, though not that overt.
adamtrance wrote:
recursive one wrote:Virus envelopes act somehow differently
A lot of people forget to turn down the "punch" control which gives an additional snap to the envelopes. If you turn it down to 0 then its a more fair comparison
I'm aware about this control :) While we are at it, since nobody in this forum knows Virus better than you, you should be the right person to ask - how the action of this control can be rectreated in other synths, Spire for example? Is it just a transient shaper, or smth more complex (I guess, it acts pre-filter as it is placed in the osc section)? In Spire it is possble to assign an additional envelope to the level of individual oscillator(s), does it make sence?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Yeah the Punch control is a bit tricky and in the virus manual their explanation is kind of misleading. In the manual they say: "Enhances the percussive effect of short Attack times in the amplifier envelope." Now, I dont know how they did it, but I figured the punch is an additional one cycle oscillator. You can test this by setting the osc volume control to 0, and increase the ring mod. The synth makes sound, and that sound must go through the amp envelope, however if you turn the punch control nothing happens. The same with the noise, if only noise is playing, the punch does nothing. So it led me to believe that the punch had nothing to do with the amp env, but gets added to the osc1+2+3 signal. Its a simple ramp thats exponentially falling and stops playing when it reaches 0. Its also positive or negative depending on the osc start phase.

I am not sure how you would emulate this with spire, but I think if you assign another mod envelope with very short attack, to the already existing amp signal you should be able to come up with something similar.
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

You have to mod one of osc by envelope to make a simple "tick" sound. I can emulate virus punch behaviour on Dune 2 and Serum that way.

Also transient compressor does the job for quick "punch"

adamtrance wrote:Yeah the Punch control is a bit tricky and in the virus manual their explanation is kind of misleading. In the manual they say: "Enhances the percussive effect of short Attack times in the amplifier envelope." Now, I dont know how they did it, but I figured the punch is an additional one cycle oscillator. You can test this by setting the osc volume control to 0, and increase the ring mod. The synth makes sound, and that sound must go through the amp envelope, however if you turn the punch control nothing happens. The same with the noise, if only noise is playing, the punch does nothing. So it led me to believe that the punch had nothing to do with the amp env, but gets added to the osc1+2+3 signal. Its a simple ramp thats exponentially falling and stops playing when it reaches 0. Its also positive or negative depending on the osc start phase.

I am not sure how you would emulate this with spire, but I think if you assign another mod envelope with very short attack, to the already existing amp signal you should be able to come up with something similar.
Thanks for the explanation!

Then probably an additional saw oscillator having its own independnet envelope with very fast attack/decay can do the same thing?

I normally use either an additional envelope assigned to the main output or an external transient shaper when i need more pronounced attack in Spire.

Thing is, I'm finding Virus envelopes more smooth and natural sounding overall, regardless of whether punch is set to zero or not. Actually to me Sylenth' envelopes seem to be more like Virus than those in Spire (but I never did any measurements, just judge things by ear)

Elektronisch wrote:You have to mod one of osc by envelope to make a simple "tick" sound. I can emulate virus punch behaviour on Dune 2.
Dune 1.4 has a"spike" control, I wonder why it is gone in Dune2, I used to assign a MSEG to main amp for additional attack in Dune2 but having a quick dedicated control would be more convenient.

Hi !
SPIRE INTO THE DEEP VOL.2 by Reveal Sound Team! :tu:

VIDEO: https://youtu.be/DCoZlCELujo
http://reveal-sound.com/store/product/I ... _Deep_Vol2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ReSpire is now available with initial Price $59!
Please note: Install and test ReSpire demo before purchase. Some presets may consume a lot of CPU. We are working on optimized version. Thanks for your support!
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... d-respire/
Free projects with ReSpire for Reason are available for download:
1. TRON - Project for Reason
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wd865eur0l1sc3z/Reason Project.zip?dl=1
2. Oxygen 2 - Project for Reason
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ysrvd9j52l8bsma/Reason Project.zip?dl=1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The link to Respire gives me an 404 error on the Propellerheads website:

404 - Page not found

The page you requested could not be found. Click here to go back to the startpage.

ReSpire was pulled from the shop.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

As a long time, early user of spire and reveal sound, I will say this is not unexpected. I am not a user or past user of reason but reveal often jumps the gun on releases and then corrects them and then you get what was advertised. I wouldn't panic or anything. It might be a good sign if they are about to upgrade the whole lot (which is a very good possibility). All I'm saying is they follow through and give what is promised.

Dasheesh wrote:As a long time, early user of spire and reveal sound, I will say this is not unexpected. I am not a user or past user of reason but reveal often jumps the gun on releases and then corrects them and then you get what was advertised. I wouldn't panic or anything. It might be a good sign if they are about to upgrade the whole lot (which is a very good possibility). All I'm saying is they follow through and give what is promised.
Yeah. Basically everything in Russia is done like that so im very used to this.

On the other hand, now that reason supports vsts, what is the point of RE at all?

recursive one wrote:On the other hand, now that reason supports vsts, what is the point of RE at all?
Exactly. That's probably why it was pulled. I imagine they did a lot of work to get a RE compatible version...and for what? If I was Reveal Sound I would dump RE and just keep the VST. Reveal must be p*ssed off, I would be too.
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

spunkmuffin wrote:
recursive one wrote:On the other hand, now that reason supports vsts, what is the point of RE at all?
Exactly. That's probably why it was pulled. I imagine they did a lot of work to get a RE compatible version...and for what? If I was Reveal Sound I would dump RE and just keep the VST. Reveal must be p*ssed off, I would be too.
No, it was pulled because it was full of bugs, caused CPU spikes, played out of tune and was able to work only in 44.1 mode. It wasn't even beta.

ReSpire is updated to 1.0.3
•Added automation parameters
•Fixed issue with preset switching when sample rate is changed
•Fixed GUI errors

Is it preset compatible with the plugin?

Return to “Instruments”