Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

stumpydj wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:59 pm
courtjestr wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:12 am
This is exactly what I got too. It is not due to a missing dependency; you would have got a completely different message describing which library was missing.

Can you download the Obxd64 executable that I shared and try the same thing?
Your executable Obxd64 build runs (quite well actually) from terminal on two different KDE Neon machines. Loads skins, banks, changes programs as anticipated.

The discoDSP executable Obxd64 does not run from terminal on either machine. Instead it gives Illegal instruction message.
Interesting. Can you try my vst build again? If the executable runs, then the vst should work too. You may have to clear the vst plugin cache and rescan for Obxd to show up.

My vst build works for me in both Reaper and Waveform10. I haven't been able to get it to load in Ardour or Mixbus though.

@courtjestr I tried your build on a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 VM and the executable doesn't open unless it's via Terminañ. You need to add a -no-pie linker flag to be recognised as standalone app.

discoDSP wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:17 pm @courtjestr I tried your build on a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 VM and the executable doesn't open unless it's via Terminañ. You need to add a -no-pie linker flag to be recognised as standalone app.
Could be. Where did you add the --no-pie flag?

courtjestr wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:28 pm
Interesting. Can you try my vst build again? If the executable runs, then the vst should work too. You may have to clear the vst plugin cache and rescan for Obxd to show up.

My vst build works for me in both Reaper and Waveform10. I haven't been able to get it to load in Ardour or Mixbus though.
Your build of Obxd64.so vst loads in Reaper. No crashing. Doesn't load in Ardour, not sure if the vst is blacklisted or not. I don't use Ardour much.

disco build still crashes Reaper, doesn't load in Ardour.

courtjestr wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:24 pm
discoDSP wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:17 pm @courtjestr I tried your build on a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 VM and the executable doesn't open unless it's via Terminañ. You need to add a -no-pie linker flag to be recognised as standalone app.
Could be. Where did you add the --no-pie flag?
Nevermind. I figured it out. I was using --no-pie rather than -no-pie. I don't know why the linker didn't complain.

I have uploaded a new version of Obxd64 to my google drive. @discoDsp and @stumpydj, you can try the new version to see if it runs directly.

stumpydj wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:41 pm
courtjestr wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:28 pm

Your build of Obxd64.so vst loads in Reaper. No crashing. Doesn't load in Ardour, not sure if the vst is blacklisted or not. I don't use Ardour much.

disco build still crashes Reaper, doesn't load in Ardour.
That is good news.
The problem with Ardour (and Mixbus which is based on Ardour) seems to be Juce related. I found a couple of other threads where Ardour was not loaded Juce based vsts. I am going to try a couple suggestions from those threads.

And now I have Obxd loading in Ardour as well. Following the advice from this thread

https://discourse.ardour.org/t/vst-plugins/88894

I disabled the JUCE_WEB_BROWSER in the projucer ‘juce_gui_extra’ module and then Ardour was able to load the resulting Obxd vst.

I have uploaded new versions of Obxd64 and Obxd64.so to my google drive for you to try out.

courtjestr wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:24 pm Could be. Where did you add the --no-pie flag?
I tried your latest build and it doesn't get recognised as executable. The -no-pie has to be placed at Linux makefile section. I'm making a new build now with some tweaks now.
Screenshot 2019-09-15 at 10.01.52.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Here it is a new Linux build to test. It has JUCE_WEB_BROWSER disabled. Runs just fine on a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 as standalone, in Renoise and Bitwig as VST.

https://www.discodsp.net/temp/Obxd151Linux.zip

discoDSP wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:06 am
courtjestr wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:24 pm Could be. Where did you add the --no-pie flag?
I tried your latest build and it doesn't get recognised as executable. The -no-pie has to be placed at Linux makefile section. I'm making a new build now with some tweaks now.

Screenshot 2019-09-15 at 10.01.52.png
That's where I put it. Did you use the executable from the tar.gz, or the one sitting in the same folder as the tar.gz? The one in the tar.gz is old and has not been compiled with -no-pie. The one outside the archive works for me.

courtjestr wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:25 am That's where I put it. Did you use the executable from the tar.gz, or the one sitting in the same folder as the tar.gz? The one in the tar.gz is old and has not been compiled with -no-pie. The one outside the archive works for me.
I thought the Google drive link got updated and look like I tested the September/9 build which seems the old one. What's the link for the newer version? Thanks.

If possible test my latest Linux build on your system to see if it's working better now. Thanks.

The files in the Google drive link did get updated, but not tar.gz, just the executable and the vst separate from the tar.gz. I have now deleted the tar.gz from the folder and just left the files that can be tested to avoid confusion.

You may have to set the execute permission flag on the files you download. I should probably put them in a zip file so that it not necessary to do this. To verify you have got the right file to test you can run the following from the terminal:

file Obxd64

You should get the following result:

Obxd64: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/l, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, BuildID[sha1]=a73e3af1e6b8d2000f49b9500337bc82378d9b4f, not stripped

I tried your latest build. Unfortunately it still crashes on my computer.

discoDSP wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:24 am Here it is a new Linux build to test. It has JUCE_WEB_BROWSER disabled. Runs just fine on a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 as standalone, in Renoise and Bitwig as VST.

https://www.discodsp.net/temp/Obxd151Linux.zip
Latest discoDSP (151) Linux build Obxd64 standalone does not run from terminal, received Illegal instruction message.
VST Obxd64.so, copied to .vst folder - Reaper (5.983) disappears during plugin scan. Ardour (5.12) hangs/freezes with 'Plugin Scan Complete...' message. After Obxd64.so is removed from .vst folder, Reaper and Ardour scan, open and perform as expected.
All of this is on up-to-date KDE Neon, based on Ubuntu 18.04

courtjestr wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:23 pm The files in the Google drive link did get updated, but not tar.gz, just the executable and the vst separate from the tar.gz. I have now deleted the tar.gz from the folder and just left the files that can be tested to avoid confusion.

You may have to set the execute permission flag on the files you download. I should probably put them in a zip file so that it not necessary to do this. To verify you have got the right file to test you can run the following from the terminal:

file Obxd64

You should get the following result:

Obxd64: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/l, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, BuildID[sha1]=a73e3af1e6b8d2000f49b9500337bc82378d9b4f, not stripped

I tried your latest build. Unfortunately it still crashes on my computer.
I must be following an outdated link because I can only find your old files. Can you post link to the new ones? Would like to try your new build.

@discoDsp, I just found this which seems to describe our situation exactly:

https://git.iem.at/audioplugins/IEMPlug ... /issues/63

What processor does your build computer have? Can you try compiling with -march=x86-64 rather than -march=native?

Return to “Instruments”