FREE BRAINSTORMER synth - sad news :(

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BrainStormer

.jon wrote:k, I haven't checked the beta. Shame if it isn't a proper preset format.
It's as good as any I know of. Unless you're going to modify it outside Brainstormer, does it even matter? I mean, u-he has their own format, nobody is complaining about that. But if you code something yourself, that's different matter of course...

Oh God! I just read that news of Olivier death :( so sad news my deep condolences to his family and his partner :( that synth will be a strong association with his soul, he will be remembered always.

Storm Mastering, any news yet on the progress?

Hello,

I've some (small) news.
My workspace is working, i'm building the x64 VST3 without issues.
I'm in the progress of understanding the different inclusions, calling and global architecture of the programming.
I've corrected some bugs/features already :
- the FM amount formula wasn't correct and the max amount was 1 semitone too high, which usually implied untuned FM at max amount, tuned was around 92%. Now it's corrected and has 1 octave more of amplitude.
- Osc phase when above 180 degrees was interpreted always as 180 degrees.
- I tried different things with the modulation rate which was downsampled for efficiency/CPU. Now it's at audio rate, and cleaner when used with high rate LFO.
- LFO rate is higher now (5000 Hz, I tried higher, it doesn't seem's useful ...)
Still a lot of things to understand in the code, but I'm (slowly) progressing :)

In the meantime, if you encounter some bugs, send them please, because I'm on my personal found bug list.

Those sound much more than small news, great to hear!

I'll be sure to report anything odd I find, thanks!

That's great news.. Good luck in this project & we appreciate all these efforts.. Looking forward to check the new update :)

Thanks for the update! Brainstormer still has a place in my mind and heart, especially now. Looking forward to anything that's to come.

regards, Frank
Vocal MC for 21 years straight // http://mc-ub.free-frank.net

Storm Mastering wrote:Hello,

I've some (small) news.
My workspace is working, i'm building the x64 VST3 without issues.
I'm in the progress of understanding the different inclusions, calling and global architecture of the programming.
I've corrected some bugs/features already :
- the FM amount formula wasn't correct and the max amount was 1 semitone too high, which usually implied untuned FM at max amount, tuned was around 92%. Now it's corrected and has 1 octave more of amplitude.
- Osc phase when above 180 degrees was interpreted always as 180 degrees.
- I tried different things with the modulation rate which was downsampled for efficiency/CPU. Now it's at audio rate, and cleaner when used with high rate LFO.
- LFO rate is higher now (5000 Hz, I tried higher, it doesn't seem's useful ...)
Still a lot of things to understand in the code, but I'm (slowly) progressing :)

In the meantime, if you encounter some bugs, send them please, because I'm on my personal found bug list.
Where from can we download this update?
Fernando (FMR)

Used this synth for the first time last night. So powerful and so ready to operate. I'm absolutely in love. Wanting to donate, will look into that when I'm not on a phone.

I have no bugs to report, but I did notice a few things that could be added.
1. Ctrl click on the mod/env/matrix destinations could reset them to none
2. The cutoff filter doesn't seem to be reaching a real max. I had q and cutoff maxed and set to HP but I was still getting a lot of mid frequencies and the resonant area was blurry. Not a big deal I prefer to do that stuff with an automated Eq anyway but I did find it a bit restrictive for making a hi hat sound for example.
3. Legato mode with portamento is gliding into notes even with a space in between. In my experience with most synths the behaviour should be to glide only between two adjacent notes, always starting at the true pitch on new notes if none other are playing.

That's all I can think of from my first use.. What a power house! Sad to read that the original author passed... Best of luck with its continued development.

Oliver rest in peace.
should consider releasing the source code as (OpenSource)
Oliver so the project will be eternal.
and Any developer could continue its development ...
Thanks to Oliver and Storm Mastering continue with this great piece of software ...

Hello Storm Mastering,

How is everybody holding up?

It's been quiet over here, is there still any progress? I've just pressed a new machine in service and was wondering if there is an update I could install instead of the current version?

with respect, Frank
Vocal MC for 21 years straight // http://mc-ub.free-frank.net

Mc UB wrote:Hello Storm Mastering,

How is everybody holding up?

It's been quiet over here, is there still any progress? I've just pressed a new machine in service and was wondering if there is an update I could install instead of the current version?

with respect, Frank
I wouldn't get my hopes up.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I'll ask again...

I know people get busy, and working on personal projects like this often fall by the wayside.

From what I understand, this synth may actually be quite good, why not release the source code so people could help make it better and fix bugs?

Cheers!

z.prime wrote:I'll ask again...

I know people get busy, and working on personal projects like this often fall by the wayside.

From what I understand, this synth may actually be quite good, why not release the source code so people could help make it better and fix bugs?

Cheers!
I hear ya on that but maybe it was against the original developers wishes to release the code... :?:
would have been a great Synth though.

It already IS a great synth.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Return to “Instruments”